Strike

F

Frankie's Friend

I just see him spewing the old guard line and berating members

I do appreciate your view point
I'd rather have him on my side than in my crap if I was a supe.

I got the old guard thing but loyalty is a hard commodity to find and even if I dont see the whole picture I try to make allowances because you never know who will let you down next.

Look at the back pages of the Teamsters magazine. I never thought I'd see the OC back there but when you fight beside people in trenches for years you tend to overlook shortcomings that may bite later.

Thank God we all get to vote and be involved in fixing the past.

Every one of us on here that has put up with the company trampling on our the cba and does something about it is worth 1000 members that just suck it up.

Tony Q

At least we don't act like we know things about the contract negotiations to sound important.
Yeah, if any of us, including myself were here to give all the details of our true story, this would be against the rules and I'm betting that we wouldn't be comfortable putting that kind of stuff out there in permanent ink. The reason I can't give you the whole story on the contract is because the negotiations are supposed to be kept in the negotiating room. Contrary to what most members believe this is for the benefit of the membership, as a whole. Since most will never show the initiative to move up within the ranks then you won't understand. Happy Fathers day to you.

dogs.bite.me

What are you top five proposals?

My proposals for the union when they asked us to write them down were:

1. 9.5 needs huge teeth. Something like everyone is on the list to start with and there is an option out list for people who want the overtime. Anyone working over 9.5 once per week while on that list would see their pay rate tripled for hours in excess of 9.5 without the need of a grievance. If a grievance was needed penalty pay would be applied as well

2. Keep our insurance free.

3. More contributions to our pension

4. Pay the part timers more so I don't have a new guy loading my truck every few weeks.

5. Need better harrassment language, and quite frankly, both sides need to be respected. No more screaming matches. No more cursing at each other. There should be a penalty if management degrades you and takes your dignity. Something more than a grievance and them agreeing not to do it again.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I'd rather have him on my side than in my crap if I was a supe.

I got the old guard thing but loyalty is a hard commodity to find and even if I dont see the whole picture I try to make allowances because you never know who will let you down next.

Look at the back pages of the Teamsters magazine. I never thought I'd see the OC back there but when you fight beside people in trenches for years you tend to overlook shortcomings that may bite later.

Thank God we all get to vote and be involved in fixing the past.

Every one of us on here that has put up with the company trampling on our the cba and does something about it is worth 1000 members that just suck it up.
Lol.

Tony Q

My proposals for the union when they asked us to write them down were:

1. 9.5 needs huge teeth. Something like everyone is on the list to start with and there is an option out list for people who want the overtime. Anyone working over 9.5 once per week while on that list would see their pay rate tripled for hours in excess of 9.5 without the need of a grievance. If a grievance was needed penalty pay would be applied as well

2. Keep our insurance free.

3. More contributions to our pension

4. Pay the part timers more so I don't have a new guy loading my truck every few weeks.

5. Need better harrassment language, and quite frankly, both sides need to be respected. No more screaming matches. No more cursing at each other. There should be a penalty if management degrades you and takes your dignity. Something more than a grievance and them agreeing not to do it again.
I believe four out of the five you will be very happy with. Number one is better in my opinion, but you will be the ultimate judge.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Uh, dude, extra work is by seniority. Did you forget?

Screw that.
Improperly staffed operation.
That is garbage.

Agree. I wonder how much $ has been paid out in air drivers moving ground grievances. Unbelievable.
I see new drivers beat down with 11+ hours of work, while senior drivers skate by with 8-9. So you are correct, extra work goes by seniority....to the rookies.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Effect- hope this helps....lol.

In the context of the sentence, affect was used as a transitive verb.

Bug seems like a good union man, just a little abrasive.

You have to have a thick skin, being in any elected position.

People that have never done the job.... have a limited right to an opinion.

Do I rant sometimes ? Sure.

But, 12 years on BrownCafe.... I've helped more people than I pissed off.

:biggrin:

I actually took BUGs response as a challenge for Brownslave to squash his punk attitude prior to this scenario occurring.

@BigUnionGuy often challenges me and other posters to man up to the company's issues in a show of union strength as members and stewards.

@Sickofit.... gets it.

It's not a personal attack.

Maybe, just a method of motivation.

Lord knows, we need that.

-Bug-

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yeah, if any of us, including myself were here to give all the details of our true story, this would be against the rules and I'm betting that we wouldn't be comfortable putting that kind of stuff out there in permanent ink. The reason I can't give you the whole story on the contract is because the negotiations are supposed to be kept in the negotiating room. Contrary to what most members believe this is for the benefit of the membership, as a whole. Since most will never show the initiative to move up within the ranks then you won't understand. Happy Fathers day to you.
To "move up in the ranks" and initiative means you are a snake and a liar, much like UPS management. A corporate political whore. And that's where modern unions fail

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I see new drivers beat down with 11+ hours of work, while senior drivers skate by with 8-9. So you are correct, extra work goes by seniority....to the rookies.

To "move up in the ranks" and initiative means you are a snake and a liar, much like UPS management. A corporate political whore. And that's where modern unions fail

It sounds like....

Somebody's wife is upset.

35358714_10212517538362093_8679957712114548736_n.jpg

F

Frankie's Friend

Your posting and explanation said it was "extra work" and in the cba, according to your rendition of the scope of work, that goes by seniority.

Ttku.

Your rookie (management) ranting doesn't help you out.

Btw: if you dont like the union landscape get a shovel.

Tony Q

I'm so sorry you feel that way. Everything I have earned, I have earned. Since there is no way to show you here I'll just have to be comfortable with my own self and my peers I the real world. Forgive me if I think your statement is a foolish one, but it is. Happy Fathers day to you, if you are someones dad!

Tony Q

You have to have a thick skin, being in any elected position.

People that have never done the job.... have a limited right to an opinion.

Do I rant sometimes ? Sure.

But, 12 years on BrownCafe.... I've helped more people than I :censored2: off.
Trust me when I say this. I understand what you are saying and respect whatever you may have done.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm so sorry you feel that way. Everything I have earned, I have earned. Since there is no way to show you here I'll just have to be comfortable with my own self and my peers I the real world. Forgive me if I think your statement is a foolish one, but it is. Happy Fathers day to you, if you are someones dad!
I am only going by what I see and certainly don't trust corporate America.

Tony Q

Who said.... I was done ?
Thats not what I was implying. I said I respect whatever you may have done, or whatever might be on your resume, but with me you need to keep adding to that resume. There is to much dead weight littered around the IBT that hangs on to faded glory. Guys that have stayed on to long and worn out their welcome. You have to understand what I'm talking about if you are indeed a BIG Union Guy...

Tony Q

I am only going by what I see and certainly don't trust corporate America.
Unions represent the working man. You are now talking about corporate America. You need to take a step back from the keyboard and start doing some reading. The grown ups are trying to talk here. You need to listen, learn, and retain before you type. You are talking nonsense and looking foolish.

Superteeth2478

So everyone seems to think that voting "no" on the National Master Agreement will solve the issue of the IBT leadership being in the pockets of UPS. However, if my interpretation of the IBT Constitution is correct, there are a couple more hurdles to overcome, and one bit of language that could make the whole thing pointless...

1. If at least 50% of the membership votes and of that 50% the majority vote the contract down, or if less than 50% vote and at least 2/3 of the voters vote the contract down, then it will be considered an automatic strike vote without the need for a separate strike vote. However, the negotiating committee would first have to deem the offer by UPS to be a "final" offer (regardless of what UPS states it is). So if the negotiating committee is also bought and paid for, they would presumably never deem any offer a "final" offer, and we'll work under the old contract until it's eventually voted in by people desperate for their months, possibly years (I doubt it'll take that long to wear down the membership) of backpay...
2. Even if the negotiating committee does deem an offer by UPS to be a "final" offer, and the membership votes it down in a manner that considers it an automatic strike vote as per the Constitution, the negotiating committee, with the approval of the General Executive Board, can suspend or even terminate a strike as per Article XII, Section E. In addition, as if that wasn't bad enough, Hoffa can suspend or even terminate a strike as per Article XII, Section friend, again with the approval of the General Executive Board.

So, long story short, if UPS so chooses to do so, they could easily buy the leadership of the IBT and prevent a strike from ever occurring, or if one does occur, could buy the leadership to easily terminate a strike. And I'm fairly certain that the price that would need to be paid to buy the "integrity" of the leadership is far less than the price of negotiating a fair contract for the workers. And seeing as how a lot of people seem to think that the people in leadership roles under Hoffa are corrupt, I find it hard to believe that UPS won't be able to buy them all...

Superteeth2478

In the context of the sentence, affect was used as a transitive verb.
Just had to say this...What'dyabringmetoday??? was right, the correct word was "effect". "Affect", when used as a transitive verb, influences something that already exists. I believe you meant to use "effect" as a transitive verb, asking what the person would do to create change, not change the way change already happens.