Struggling College Student

upschuck

OP, don't get your feelings hurt because you feel HR and some management personnel lied to you. Dude, they go to school to learn how to lie to you. HR has numbers to make just like anyone else at this outfit. They will tell you whatever they have to so you will hang around and hump boxes for peak. If you have to call out, just do it. Good luck.
HR does get graded down if they don't last a year, so I've heard.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Unless UPS pays your tuition , which they don't anymore, your decision is easy.

If you can't get the days off you need, leave and go work at one of the thousand seasonal jobs that open up this time of year.
Wrap boxes at Macy's, run a register at Old Navy, it's all part time, who cares. Your degree is more important.

fres431

Psh I was serious go to dr get a note for stress leave. They can't touch you. They can harass you about it but have thick skin and play the game. Like a coworker in my building says use what they preach against them you were adjusting to changing conditions

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Is it really hard to work a few hours PT at ups and balance studying and exams? I know it's been years since I graduated college but has it changed that much that it can't be done?

Think of it this way, it's good preparation for the chaos of life after college to be able to balance many things. If you can't do that, I'm sure you should probably find a different PT job that is maybe more flexible or easier. But if you can, you'll gain some good life skills on how to handle demanding situations.

I'm sure many college kids prepared and took exams well while working at ups. It can be done.

ChrisTheBrown

Is it really hard to work a few hours PT at ups and balance studying and exams? I know it's been years since I graduated college but has it changed that much that it can't be done?

Think of it this way, it's good preparation for the chaos of life after college to be able to balance many things. If you can't do that, I'm sure you should probably find a different PT job that is maybe more flexible or easier. But if you can, you'll gain some good life skills on how to handle demanding situations.

I'm sure many college kids prepared and took exams well while working at ups. It can be done.

The problem with that is, during peak, the regular 3-4 hours that a PT employee normally works in their respected center/ hub, turns into 7-8 hours..At least it did for me, my first year as a PT preloader..(which was 2 years ago) This makes studying & preparing for exams, getting enough rest, etc..Impossible.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Now you have to realize when you call in your supervisor is going to put his doctors degree to work and diagnose you over the phone
Fair Warning

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Sorry, but it's a 5 day a week job. You need to budget your time better and figure it out. You're not the first person who has gone to school and worked at UPS, and you won't be the last. I know it sucks sometimes, I did it. But you need to learn your employer isn't going to wait on your every need once you graduate. You're fortunate in that you have a sort that won't have a timing issue come finals week. Use that to your advantage and study on the weekends.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The problem with that is, during peak, the regular 3-4 hours that a PT employee normally works in their respected center/ hub, turns into 7-8 hours..At least it did for me, my first year as a PT preloader..(which was 2 years ago) This makes studying & preparing for exams, getting enough rest, etc..Impossible.
I had no problems and I had a full course load and was air driving as well split shifts.

It can be done. The problem is this new generation thinks everything should be done on their schedule easily.

Put some work into it. Put some struggle and stress. It'll make you appreciate the accomplishments even more. If everyone made it simple and easy, life would be a utopia.

Learn to develop good life management skills and balance. That's an education in itself

hyena

So basically, I was hired this past May, as a loader for the midnight shift and everything has been going well. However, all of my troubles began when I went back to my University. I am a full-time college student on my senior year and things are far from easy when balancing between work and school. This is not my first time working a part-time job and going to school full-time but UPS's request days off process is very confusing to me and some what unprofessional. I told my full-time supervisor that in order for me to maintain working here that I would need certain days off in order to prepare myself for exams in certain classes as well as my final exams. He told me that he could do that for me, all I had to do was tell him 2 weeks prior to the days I needed off. Here lies the problem, as we approach closer and closer to peak season, my full-time supervisor is becoming more and more resistant to giving me days off that I had requested off, (verbally but with reminders as the date approaches) all the back in September. To top it off, I am looking at basically a week off from work for my final exams coming in early December which I have been told by my co-workers is impossible for me to request off. I am in a really tough spot to say the least. If my full-time supervisor refuses to give me the days off that I need for my final exams then I will have to call out. If I call out for a week I am basically fired. What kills me the most is that HR and my full-time supervisor all told me that they will accommodate me and other college students who need more time for school. Since, there is no legitimate request days off (from my knowledge). I do not know how to go about this without losing my job. It is without question that I will not come into work especially for my final exams. To lose my job over something that was promised to me months before. I find it unacceptable and completely unreasonable. My question for you guys is, How can I go about this in order to maintain my position at UPS, but also receive the days off pertaining to my final exams. All advise is welcomed. Thank you in advance.
image.gif

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I had no problems and I had a full course load and was air driving as well split shifts.

It can be done. The problem is this new generation thinks everything should be done on their schedule easily.

Put some work into it. Put some struggle and stress. It'll make you appreciate the accomplishments even more. If everyone made it simple and easy, life would be a utopia.

Learn to develop good life management skills and balance. That's an education in itself
My parents could have paid for everything for me while I was in school. Room and board, car, money to go out, but they didn't. They told me to figure it out. Provided me with a lot of life skills and a good opportunity to prove myself. Meanwhile all the kids I went to high school with whose parents provided everything for them are working part time at Target, wondering why they can't find a job in their degree field.

hyena

I love how people say this generation thinks this and that. What did you old folks gets us? You do realize your responsible for the youth, just like managements responsible for the monsters they create right?