Struggling College Student

mrwiliker

I agree about doctors note for stress leave. This is your best bet and will guarantee you get the time you need off so you can pass finals and not worry about management. Its unfortunate but generally the management will promise you anything verbally but take it back if it looks to be a hardship.

Indecisi0n

I have worked a "normal" full time job and went to college and it is tough. I don't think I could do UPS full time and have gone to college. The hours and physical toll are a lot to bare when trying to get good study sessions in.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I have worked a "normal" full time job and went to college and it is tough. I don't think I could do UPS full time and have gone to college. The hours and physical toll are a lot to bare when trying to get good study sessions in.

Let's do the math !!!!

FULL TIME COLLEGE WORK LOAD = 5 CLASSES X 3 HOURS A WEEK = 15 HOURS A WEEK
ok I'll add 2 labs at an hour each --------------------------------------- 17 HOURS A WEEK

PART TIME EMPLOYEE AT UPS = IF YOUR LUCKY --------------------- 20 HOURS A WEEK
peak is around the corner --------------------------------------------- 30 HOURS A WEEK

ALL THIS HAPPENS MONDAY TO FRIDAY 47 HOURS OUT OF 120 AVAILABLE
whoops you can study on the weekends 47 HOURS OUT OF 168 AVAILABLE

YOU WORK/SCHOOL 28% OF YOUR TIME
8 HOURS SLEEP A DAY 33% OF YOUR TIME

39% OF YOUR AWAKE TIME IS AVAILABLE ---- 65 HOURS A WEEK ARE AVAILABLE TO STUDY AND WORK ON YOUR DEGREE

Grow-some-balls.jpg

Bad Gas!

Heff...Good time managament example..It can be done for undergrad exams.. If its for his masters he needs to quit..School is more important...Stay in school-dont work at ups is what I told my kids growing up. You can do better.. School opens doors to more options to getting a job you like one day.

Indecisi0n

Let's do the math !!!!

ok I'll add 2 labs at an hour each --------------------------------------- 17 HOURS A WEEK

peak is around the corner --------------------------------------------- 30 HOURS A WEEK

39% OF YOUR AWAKE TIME IS AVAILABLE ---- 65 HOURS A WEEK ARE AVAILABLE TO STUDY AND WORK ON YOUR DEGREE

Grow-some-balls.jpg

Are you prepping to be management with all these numbers?

blkmamba

So basically, I was hired this past May, as a loader for the midnight shift and everything has been going well. However, all of my troubles began when I went back to my University. I am a full-time college student on my senior year and things are far from easy when balancing between work and school. This is not my first time working a part-time job and going to school full-time but UPS's request days off process is very confusing to me and some what unprofessional. I told my full-time supervisor that in order for me to maintain working here that I would need certain days off in order to prepare myself for exams in certain classes as well as my final exams. He told me that he could do that for me, all I had to do was tell him 2 weeks prior to the days I needed off. Here lies the problem, as we approach closer and closer to peak season, my full-time supervisor is becoming more and more resistant to giving me days off that I had requested off, (verbally but with reminders as the date approaches) all the back in September. To top it off, I am looking at basically a week off from work for my final exams coming in early December which I have been told by my co-workers is impossible for me to request off. I am in a really tough spot to say the least. If my full-time supervisor refuses to give me the days off that I need for my final exams then I will have to call out. If I call out for a week I am basically fired. What kills me the most is that HR and my full-time supervisor all told me that they will accommodate me and other college students who need more time for school. Since, there is no legitimate request days off (from my knowledge). I do not know how to go about this without losing my job. It is without question that I will not come into work especially for my final exams. To lose my job over something that was promised to me months before. I find it unacceptable and completely unreasonable. My question for you guys is, How can I go about this in order to maintain my position at UPS, but also receive the days off pertaining to my final exams. All advise is welcomed. Thank you in advance.
I did my student teaching while working at UPS. It was six months of going from 7:45-2:45 plus planning and a class once a week to 10:45-4:30ish at UPS. It sucked but I would sleep all weekend. It's definitely double especially if you start preparing for your exams now.

oldngray

nowhere special
Let's do the math !!!!

Grow-some-balls.jpg

Working part time at UPS and going to school full time is very possible. I did it. Your numbers are still wrong and you get a lot less sleep.

Working Full time at UPS and going to school full time is basically impossible.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
FMLA is not for mid-terms or finals.
I was referring to missing peak in general. Once you qualify for FMLA for the year....you could technically take an unpaid week off during peak to go fishing and call into ups as FMLA time....as long as you still have FMLA time off available. It's not like UPS can check.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was referring to missing peak. Once you qualify for FMLA for the year....you could take an unpaid week off during peak to go fishing and call into ups as FMLA time....as long as you still have FMLA time off available .

Yet people wonder why we continually lose perks and why comp fraud investigators make a killing.

Heff...Good time managament example..It can be done for undergrad exams.. If its for his masters he needs to quit..School is more important...Stay in school-dont work at ups is what I told my kids growing up. You can do better.. School opens doors to more options to getting a job you like one day.

Like what? How would you know if you like a job/career before you even start working?