Struggling College Student

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
So basically, I was hired this past May, as a loader for the midnight shift and everything has been going well. However, all of my troubles began when I went back to my University. I am a full-time college student on my senior year and things are far from easy when balancing between work and school. This is not my first time working a part-time job and going to school full-time but UPS's request days off process is very confusing to me and some what unprofessional. I told my full-time supervisor that in order for me to maintain working here that I would need certain days off in order to prepare myself for exams in certain classes as well as my final exams. He told me that he could do that for me, all I had to do was tell him 2 weeks prior to the days I needed off. Here lies the problem, as we approach closer and closer to peak season, my full-time supervisor is becoming more and more resistant to giving me days off that I had requested off, (verbally but with reminders as the date approaches) all the back in September. To top it off, I am looking at basically a week off from work for my final exams coming in early December which I have been told by my co-workers is impossible for me to request off. I am in a really tough spot to say the least. If my full-time supervisor refuses to give me the days off that I need for my final exams then I will have to call out. If I call out for a week I am basically fired. What kills me the most is that HR and my full-time supervisor all told me that they will accommodate me and other college students who need more time for school. Since, there is no legitimate request days off (from my knowledge). I do not know how to go about this without losing my job. It is without question that I will not come into work especially for my final exams. To lose my job over something that was promised to me months before. I find it unacceptable and completely unreasonable. My question for you guys is, How can I go about this in order to maintain my position at UPS, but also receive the days off pertaining to my final exams. All advise is welcomed. Thank you in advance.
Have you tried meth? I've heard it works great for about a year.

P

pickup

To the Original Poster:

You make index cards with the pertinent info on them. And you look at them every chance you can get. When you are in the can, when you are on a break, whenever you have a free moment. When you are in class, you sit in the front row and hang on every word the teacher says, the teacher is basically giving you the info that will be on the test. Pay particular attention to when the teacher pauses to look at her notes to read something, THAT SOMETHING WILL BE ON THE TEST.

If you have a relatively mindless job, like unloading, you can occupy your mind with the info on the test.(Just keep some index cards in your pocket It's still early November so you have some classes and time left. Preview , scan the upcoming material in your textbooks for the material that will be covered in the coming week(s). You'll be amazed what your brain can do for you. Practice the mnemonics game. Make acronyms, word games, anything that allows you to assimilate the material. Verbally record some info on your smartphone or computer and make mp3s that will be on your smartphone. Play it and hit repeat. That will sink some info into your head.

I don't know if you plan on going to grad school or not. If not , the difference between a B and C plus will probably mean nothing. But I think , based on your one and only post, that you have enough academic skills to ace these tests. Take a look at your fellow students. Overall , I would bet that it's the ones that are busy IN class and outside of class are the ones that are doing well.

I saw this video yesterday, someone posted it on another thread. You might view her as a member of the dark side of management but she makes some valid points. And she walks the walk, I can hear her early past in her voice . By the way, I looked her up a little and she got her Master's degree while working at UPS( and I suspect while she was full time).

So be a scrapper, not a crapper.

As for your need to take off that whole week. How about a few days? How many sick days do you have left? If any , take them then. It may not give you a whole week off but it would give you some time off. You're selling yourself short, you can do this. I get it: management gave you a verbal promise and now they are reneging . Get past the anger and channel that energy into learning the material you need to learn.

Win Today, fight tomorrow (tomorrow being your exam days).

oldandcrabby

To the Original Poster:

You make index cards with the pertinent info on them. And you look at them every chance you can get. When you are in the can, when you are on a break, whenever you have a free moment. When you are in class, you sit in the front row and hang on every word the teacher says, the teacher is basically giving you the info that will be on the test. Pay particular attention to when the teacher pauses to look at her notes to read something, THAT SOMETHING WILL BE ON THE TEST.

If you have a relatively mindless job, like unloading, you can occupy your mind with the info on the test.(Just keep some index cards in your pocket It's still early November so you have some classes and time left. Preview , scan the upcoming material in your textbooks for the material that will be covered in the coming week(s). You'll be amazed what your brain can do for you. Practice the mnemonics game. Make acronyms, word games, anything that allows you to assimilate the material. Verbally record some info on your smartphone or computer and make mp3s that will be on your smartphone. Play it and hit repeat. That will sink some info into your head.

I don't know if you plan on going to grad school or not. If not , the difference between a B and C plus will probably mean nothing. But I think , based on your one and only post, that you have enough academic skills to ace these tests. Take a look at your fellow students. Overall , I would bet that it's the ones that are busy IN class and outside of class are the ones that are doing well.

I saw this video yesterday, someone posted it on another thread. You might view her as a member of the dark side of management but she makes some valid points. And she walks the walk, I can hear her early past in her voice . By the way, I looked her up a little and she got her Master's degree while working at UPS( and I suspect while she was full time).

So be a scrapper, not a crapper.

As for your need to take off that whole week. How about a few days? How many sick days do you have left? If any , take them then. It may not give you a whole week off but it would give you some time off. You're selling yourself short, you can do this. I get it: management gave you a verbal promise and now they are reneging . Get past the anger and channel that energy into learning the material you need to learn.

Win Today, fight tomorrow (tomorrow being your exam days).

Very well said and a ton of wise counsel. This is a winner teaching how to pick and choose your battles also.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The problem with that is, during peak, the regular 3-4 hours that a PT employee normally works in their respected center/ hub, turns into 7-8 hours..At least it did for me, my first year as a PT preloader..(which was 2 years ago) This makes studying & preparing for exams, getting enough rest, etc..Impossible.
the OP can't expect UPS to give a rat's ass about his needing more time to study. Tough it out or call off.

Browneyes68

I have a keen sense of smell. I smell bs.

First: you mention you're a SENIOR student, which means you've had at least THREE years experience scheduling classes. Class schedules don't magically creep up on you, you choose them in advance. Sniff sniff.

Your initial post indicates "All my troubles began when I went back to my University"
which would indicate you were already working for UPS THEN returned to school. You now expect HR to accommodate your impending schedule conflict when you knew, in advance, you were going to require certain days off...funny you didn't mention having any study troubles DURING the semester, just during finals week.

THEN you have the guts to call your employers days off request unprofessional? UPS didn't become a multi-billion dollar enterprise by making unprofessional decisions time and time again.

Please help me understand why you need an entire week off during finals week? You are not going to gain NEW knowledge during this week off, it's finals...you will be tested on the subjects you are supposed to have already studied. So, if YOU held up your end of the bargain, you should have spend the past semester studying if your education truly means anything to you. Like others have posted, get creative, if you truly want an education while you work, you will make the necessary dedications to make it happen.

You are correct about school and work, it's not easy; that's why it's called an academic discipline. .because your college degree is designed to take effort and discipline to attain, otherwise you can go online and buy a fake degree to hang on the wall.

Best of luck. Study hard, its worth it.

p.s: I currently take a full course load of University courses myself towards my degree (I'm also a senior in college) and I'm not having these difficulties.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

First: you mention you're a SENIOR student, which means you've had at least THREE years experience scheduling classes. Class schedules don't magically creep up on you, you choose them in advance. Sniff sniff.

Your initial post indicates "All my troubles began when I went back to my University"
which would indicate you were already working for UPS THEN returned to school. You now expect HR to accommodate your impending schedule conflict when you knew, in advance, you were going to require certain days off...funny you didn't mention having any study troubles DURING the semester, just during finals week.

THEN you have the guts to call your employers days off request unprofessional? UPS didn't become a multi-billion dollar enterprise by making unprofessional decisions time and time again.

Please help me understand why you need an entire week off during finals week? You are not going to gain NEW knowledge during this week off, it's finals...you will be tested on the subjects you are supposed to have already studied. So, if YOU held up your end of the bargain, you should have spend the past semester studying if your education truly means anything to you. Like others have posted, get creative, if you truly want an education while you work, you will make the necessary dedications to make it happen.

You are correct about school and work, it's not easy; that's why it's called an academic discipline. .because your college degree is designed to take effort and discipline to attain, otherwise you can go online and buy a fake degree to hang on the wall.

p.s: I currently take a full course load of University courses myself towards my degree (I'm also a senior in college) and I'm not having these difficulties.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1447105455.575892.jpg

Acidic

Dear Browneyes68,

Allow me to clarify and demonstrate to you how conspiracies happen. In other words, how limited information / people who look for connections that aren't there hurt one's argument and status among scholars. But first please allow me to, "Sniff Sniff"

1. Just because I'm a SENIOR has nothing to do with prior scheduling classes to an extent. Some classes needed for my degree are only offered during certain semesters and times. Thus work hours conflict with some of my morning classes.

2. I would like to also note that even though I have loans and scholarships for school they do not pay for all my classes completely. So whatever amount that is not paid off is what comes out of my pocket. What this means is that by the time I do pay off the rest of my balance. The majority of students have already signed up for classes for next semester so I do not get first pick nor do I get them in advance. This leaves me with a limited pool of classes to pick from throughout winter and summer breaks to make the semester bearable.

"Sniff Sniff"

3. Allow me to rephrase this for you so it makes more sense, "All my troubles began when I returned to University after summer break". Get it now?

4. I am a Pre-med student. Grades are VERY important for medical school thus having as much time to study for exams is a must. I don't know what your degree or goals are in life so I will refrain from comparing. Also, the reason why there were no problems with schedule conflicts throughout the year is either 1. lack of sleep throughout the semester and 2. my full-time supervisor would give me days off prior to exams in my hard core science/math classes. This allowed me to get a full nights rest before exams and extra study time that I would not otherwise get. A condition that was agreed upon between us two in order for me to continue working at UPS. Hopefully, now you can see the reason behind the week off.

5. I have a right to my own opinion and I stick by it regarding employee days off request. I have worked from hospitals all the way to dead-end customer service related jobs and even they had professional and organized employee days request off.

6. This irritated me the most. The statement that I am not holding my end of the bargain. Unless you are a pre-med student / science or math background major you will never understand the work and time students like myself put into our studies. I'm not saying that my degree is any more important than the next but I take great pride in my education and my field of study.

7. The point of this whole thread was to find a way to get the needed time for exams during peak season. However, I had since found my own way with the help of others who posted on this thread. That being said, Thank you for everyones input.

In closing, humans have five sense maybe you should try the others out as smells can be distorted.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Dear Browneyes68,

Allow me to clarify and demonstrate to you how conspiracies happen. In other words, how limited information / people who look for connections that aren't there hurt one's argument and status among scholars. But first please allow me to, "Sniff Sniff"

1. Just because I'm a SENIOR has nothing to do with prior scheduling classes to an extent. Some classes needed for my degree are only offered during certain semesters and times. Thus work hours conflict with some of my morning classes.

2. I would like to also note that even though I have loans and scholarships for school they do not pay for all my classes completely. So whatever amount that is not paid off is what comes out of my pocket. What this means is that by the time I do pay off the rest of my balance. The majority of students have already signed up for classes for next semester so I do not get first pick nor do I get them in advance. This leaves me with a limited pool of classes to pick from throughout winter and summer breaks to make the semester bearable.

"Sniff Sniff"

3. Allow me to rephrase this for you so it makes more sense, "All my troubles began when I returned to University after summer break". Get it now?

4. I am a Pre-med student. Grades are VERY important for medical school thus having as much time to study for exams is a must. I don't know what your degree or goals are in life so I will refrain from comparing. Also, the reason why there were no problems with schedule conflicts throughout the year is either 1. lack of sleep throughout the semester and 2. my full-time supervisor would give me days off prior to exams in my hard core science/math classes. This allowed me to get a full nights rest before exams and extra study time that I would not otherwise get. A condition that was agreed upon between us two in order for me to continue working at UPS. Hopefully, now you can see the reason behind the week off.

5. I have a right to my own opinion and I stick by it regarding employee days off request. I have worked from hospitals all the way to dead-end customer service related jobs and even they had professional and organized employee days request off.

6. This irritated me the most. The statement that I am not holding my end of the bargain. Unless you are a pre-med student / science or math background major you will never understand the work and time students like myself put into our studies. I'm not saying that my degree is any more important than the next but I take great pride in my education and my field of study.

7. The point of this whole thread was to find a way to get the needed time for exams during peak season. However, I had since found my own way with the help of others who posted on this thread. That being said, Thank you for everyones input.

In closing, humans have five sense maybe you should try the others out as smells can be distorted.
Tldr

trickpony1

You didn't bother to mention what degree you're working on.

Pre med/med studies require a lot of on-site clinical experience unlike other degrees or online classes.

When I hired on it was a requirement to be a college student, which I was. When I was going to grad school my preload supe said, "....if you aren't here when you're supposed to be, I know you'll get here as soon as you can.". I had immense respect for that man and worked my ass off for him.

I have seen FT, as well as PT, supes who were being groomed for greater things (within the company) given flexible, variable shifts to assist in their school requirements.

As you know, tuition assistance is offered now so that might suggest an environment that is friendly towards employees trying to improve their lives.

Perhaps you should put yourself in acidic's shoes so you'll have a better understanding of what he/she is dealing with.

I don't call BS.