STUPIDLY

klein

Für Meno :)
Wow, thanks Jones ! How many points did you give me ? I got 28 now.... I must have been at minus 10K...LOL
Helps me out big time..:) Thnaks again...:)

ups1990

Whose actions look stupidly, now? Our president, should have plainly said, no comment. Sometimes this is the best answer. He's making comments before being fully informed. Obama later came out and said gates, also acted improperly. Another politician backpeddeling faster than Deion Sanders.

diesel96

Since one thread isn't big enough for this issue, we need two...geez
Once again, IMO, Obama blew the question, and is now trying to defuse the hot button issue....having said that, how ironic you guys need me (a progressive Democrat) of all people to remind my conservative and libertarian friends of freedom of speech, less Gov't intervention, and individual rights as an American.
We can't have the Police believe that citizens do not have a right to challenge them, even once they have established the facts of their innocence. Gates was on his property. In his home. Regardless of whether the police officer could not confirm it right away, once he did, the police officer was on a man's property in a country where a man's home is his castle and what you do in your home is almost completely your business. Yet, you all support his arrest, why? Are you willing to give up more freedoms just to bash Obama....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Since one thread isn't big enough for this issue, we need two...geez
Once again, IMO, Obama blew the question, and is now trying to defuse the hot button issue....having said that, how ironic you guys need me (a progressive Democrat) of all people to remind my conservative and libertarian friends of freedom of speech, less Gov't intervention, and individual rights as an American.
We can't have the Police believe that citizens do not have a right to challenge them, even once they have established the facts of their innocence. Gates was on his property. In his home. Regardless of whether the police officer could not confirm it right away, once he did, the police officer was on a man's property in a country where a man's home is his castle and what you do in your home is almost completely your business. Yet, you all support his arrest, why? Are you willing to give up more freedoms just to bash Obama....
I agree with this, to a point. Mr. Gates safety was in question, deez. The officers suspected there could be other people in the house that did not belong there. They needed Mr. Gates cooperation, which IMHO, he should have given them. Once the house was cleared, Mr. Gates could have gone on, business as usual.

Suppose the cops left, Mr. Gates enters his house and is roughed up or killed by some intruders? The cops would never live that down. Before daybreak, Al Sharpton would have been on that doorstep, ranting on how if it was a "white" guy, the cops would have made the residence secure, before leaving. This, again, is JMHO, as always.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree with this, to a point. Mr. Gates safety was in question, deez. The officers suspected there could be other people in the house that did not belong there. They needed Mr. Gates cooperation, which IMHO, he should have given them. Once the house was cleared, Mr. Gates could have gone on, business as usual.

Suppose the cops left, Mr. Gates enters his house and is roughed up or killed by some intruders? The cops would never live that down. Before daybreak, Al Sharpton would have been on that doorstep, ranting on how if it was a "white" guy, the cops would have made the residence secure, before leaving. This, again, is JMHO, as always.

Sorry.............................. if this was a white guy whos house would be reported as being broken into, it would have been lucky to make the paper, much less be on a NATIONALLY TELEVISED PRIME TIME PRESIDENTIAL SPEECH.

Obama already through Gates under the bus. He has already admitted he jumped to conclusions, far from an apology, but now invite them all over for a beer, at our expense, and everything will be fine.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sorry.............................. if this was a white guy whos house would be reported as being broken into, it would have been lucky to make the paper, much less be on a NATIONALLY TELEVISED PRIME TIME PRESIDENTIAL SPEECH.

Obama already through Gates under the bus. He has already admitted he jumped to conclusions, far from an apology, but now invite them all over for a beer, at our expense, and everything will be fine.
I wonder if they'll fly Air Force One over to pick up all the offended parties. I'm making my way to Mass. as we speak.:wink2:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

And if it had been just a regular working black guy, same thing. If however it had been a white, academically recognized college professor who had been handcuffed and arrested for the terrible crime of being angry in his own house, of course it would have made the news.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And if it had been just a regular working black guy, same thing. If however it had been a white, academically recognized college professor who had been handcuffed and arrested for the terrible crime of being angry in his own house, of course it would have made the news.
Maybe the news, that would be it.

klein

Für Meno :)
Obama needs to stop talking about his private life and friends. Doesn't belong in the whitehouse at anytime.
What will happen next ? A friend of his gets a traffic ticket, and calls O up ? Then another stupid speech of his ?
Leave these little incidents out of the Whitehouse, period !
And he should have opoligized ! He had his chance, and he blew it.

over9five

Staff member
I think the reason it made the news was Gates screaming, "You don't know who you're dealing with!". And then the fact comes out that he's a friend of Obama. And then Al Sharpton jumps in (having nothing legitimate to do). And then Obama throws fuel on the fire. And then Obamas other friend Deval Patrick jumps on the racist bandwagon.

It's good to have friends to back you up, no matter the facts of the issue.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You do realize that Obama didn't bring it up in his speech right? A reporter asked him about it afterward. I agree that he just should have made a no comment response.

over9five

Staff member
You do realize that Obama didn't bring it up in his speech right? A reporter asked him about it afterward. I agree that he just should have made a no comment response.

That is correct. It was the last queston asked. It really shouldn't have been asked as it had nothing to do with the speech.

over9five

Staff member
Obama, who had said Cambridge police "acted stupidly" in arresting Gates, sought to tramp down the uproar Friday, speaking to the arresting officer and the Harvard scholar during separate telephone calls and declaring that Sgt. James Crowley was a good man.

Everything is alright now. The Messiah has DECLARED that the Sargent is a good man.

Maybe not as good as innocent victim Gates, but still a good man....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Obama needs to stop talking about his private life and friends. Doesn't belong in the whitehouse at anytime.
What will happen next ? A friend of his gets a traffic ticket, and calls O up ? Then another stupid speech of his ?
Leave these little incidents out of the Whitehouse, period !
And he should have opoligized ! He had his chance, and he blew it.
Is this because he's........Obama?

That is correct. It was the last queston asked. It really shouldn't have been asked as it had nothing to do with the speech.
But it was and he should have responded appropriately; Though I have been known to put my foot in my mouth from time to time.
Here's where it all begins.:sad-little:
372873393_f10dcdbcb6.jpg

diesel96

In America...the home/property owner have the right to determine whether or not their house/property is secure, not the police. The police officer can suspect anything he wants, they still can't enter your residense legally unless invited, obtain a warrant, or they phyiscally witness a crime being committed. In this case, once home owner is properly ID'ed, thats it, case closed, walk away, no follow up warranted unless requested. Thats were our 2nd amendment rights kick in..:wink2:

If Proffessor Gates was a prominent white Proffessor, most likely racial profiling would not have occurred at his own residence, and no arrest most likely would not have been made for having a tantrum on his own property.

over9five

Staff member
Gates wanted to raise a huge stink, so he did so, knowing he'd have the full backing of the President of the United States.

Pure and simple, there was practically nothing he could do that being a friend of the President wouldn't get him out of. If Obama wasn't his buddy, he would have cooperated with the police, wouldn't have been arrested, and everyone would have walked away happy.

IMO, the charges were dropped NOT because they were wrong, but because Gates and Obama are friends.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
In America...the home/property owner have the right to determine whether or not their house/property is secure, not the police. The police officer can suspect anything he wants, they still can't enter your residense legally unless invited, obtain a warrant, or they phyiscally witness a crime being committed. In this case, once home owner is properly ID'ed, thats it, case closed, walk away, no follow up warranted unless requested. Thats were our 2nd amendment rights kick in..:wink2:

If Proffessor Gates was a prominent white Proffessor, most likely racial profiling would not have occurred at his own residence, and no arrest most likely would not have been made for having a tantrum on his own property.
Most likely if it had been a prominent white professor, he would have showed Id and not had a tantrum. And If he had a tantrum he would have been cuffed as was Gates, until he calmed down and co operated. And it never would have been in a speech on National TV, and I think the question was staged. Just so this could be brought into the limelight. I think we are comparing apples to oranges. Obama likes to interject discrimination at every chance. Instead of just promoting how far we have come as a nation against racial bigotry, Hence, Look hes proof.