sup bringing out misloads

Rainman

Its all good.
Free money? What's wrong with that? And besides, after you come back to the building after completing your assigned duties, you have no obligation to go back out. It's in the contract.
Where? Master or area supplement? We have always had to go back out if necessary ( junior man).

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Me too.

The supe did give you the missed pieces to deliver. In some centers, the supes would have delivered them on their own. That I would grieve.

BS. Every time one of my non-union buddies laughs about how management is absolutely not allowed to touch packages, I tell them that the reason for it is because every time they do, somewhere, a union employee related to that work, is off the clock. In the big picture, it protects our work.

Every time a sup goes out on a package car, one driver misses out on a days work and a days benefits. And when they do this, it makes them feel they can do it whenever they choose. Whatever reason they give, call-ins, heavy volume...doesn't matter.

Staffing is staffing. That's their real job. Their ignorance, or their lack of a desire to properly staff operations, isn't our problem. Our contract specifically deals with this. Our job is to file on EVERY instance in order to prevent this. Who wants to file grievances when they can just do what they're supposed to do?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
You can file on it, but I do not see the point. You file on it and in the future, you will get a diad message, on a Friday, to come back to the building to pick up and deliver missed pieces. Do you really want that?

Or he can file on it and get paid for the supervisor doing HOURLY WORK. If, in the future they call me back to the building to get the misloads and deliver them I;d be over the moon happy as i like little more than to get paid Over time for riding around

In my building the supes KNOW BETTER than to pull stunt such as running misloads

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
You can most definitely file....BUT........They will go after the preload for misloads and try to pass out warning letters.
I usually let this one go.
In our building there are so many misloads every day they long ago quit trying to discipline the preloaders. It would take 2 full time supes to issue the discipline and then deal with the resulting grievances.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I call it, 'picking my battles.'

There has to be a balance between getting our customers their packages and us doing the work.
no, we should do hourly work and the customers should get the packages. The only way to achieve the 'balance' is to make it too costly for management to do hourly work

In our building there are so many misloads every day they long ago quit trying to discipline the preloaders. It would take 2 full time supes to issue the discipline and then deal with the resulting grievances.
If they tried to give discipline to the preloaders,for misloads.
I would file a grievance against the sups,for doing union work!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Supervisors shuttling misloads is textbook supervisor working grievance material. Whether it is a bargaining unit member shuttling the work or a supervisor the misload still happened and was already messaged in by someone so getting the loader in trouble would be irrelevant in this case. If a misload is important enough to be shuttled, that is Union work. File.

Johney

no, in one of the spare death traps in the lot. In the event there are no spare Death Traps available then and only then have them use their personal car and get paid mileage.
And I'm sure their insurance company will love to know that they are conducting UPS business in their car. How does that work if they get into an accident and GOD forbid someone was killed? I have been asked a few times to run something on the way home and they'll pay me time for it. Nope.

aiian

My current on road isn't even authorized to drive a package car, mainly because he cannot drive a manual.

He said he's been practicing though... I guess that's a start.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
And I'm sure their insurance company will love to know that they are conducting UPS business in their car. How does that work if they get into an accident and GOD forbid someone was killed? I have been asked a few times to run something on the way home and they'll pay me time for it. Nope.
<shrug> I have had supes and hourlies bring me packages in their own cars many times over the years,and all have escaped death or dismemberment