Supervisor asked Package Car Drivers to unload

• Thread starter Deleted member 77202
  • Start date

Staydryitsraining

Some drivers are idiots and come in early off the clock to load their trucks. :censored2: them. If a supervisor is telling them to work then they would be billed to preload time which wouldnt make any sense because it would destroy the preload labor cost.

Blazian81

Thought I'd seen it all until . . .

Nearly all of the Pre-load employees who unload/scan/sort the packages from the feeder trucks punch out at about 9:00am, which, of course, is the time when the Package Car Drivers are getting ready to have their brief morning meeting and then get in their loaded up trucks & go.

Today, at about 8:10am, I noticed that my Supervisor sent all of the newer employees home, and I thought it was odd because we still had a good bit of packages to get finished and sent down to the workers who load the package cars.
(Wouldn't have thought it was odd to send the newer employees home on any other day -- if we're very close to being completely done, but today we weren't.)

Then, to my complete disbelief, the Supervisor walked around the building looking for any Package Car Drivers who may have come in early and rounded them up and had them do the various pre-loader jobs of the employees who he just sent home ! ! !

So, the drivers (in full UPS uniform because they were getting ready to start their deliveries in about an hour) helped us finish unloading/scanning/sorting all of the packages that we needed to get done !

What's the point of even having a union procedures book/supplement if absolutely no one in the building follows any of the procedures in it?
My building needs a surprise visit from some higher-up somebody that cares if rules are followed -- both UPS rules and Union rules.
so is this :censored2: supervisor changing everyone who doing preload start time too?

MattM

What's the complaint if you're getting driver rate for doing 'easy' inside work?

Maybe it's not so easy lol.

D

Deleted member 77202

wonder if those package car drivers are even on the clock. some are so scared they come in early and work for free.

we had the same thing in feeder. guys would start off the clock loading up their tractors, washing them , etc. some would even make up their sets so they could get onroad ontime which was such a big deal.

ya, the supes wanted 100% outbound ontime but that never happened while I was around.
Pretty sure that the drivers are NOT on the clock.
I think their official start time is 8:45am? Isn't their start time the same all over the USA?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Pretty sure that the drivers are NOT on the clock.
I think their official start time is 8:45am? Isn't their start time the same all over the USA?
No it's different all over the USA, we are currently on 9:05am driver starts. But we also have drivers who are getting paid to show up at 8:35am to get paid for 30 minutes of preload wrap. Which generally consists of high seniority farts doing clerical work and an insignificant amount of irregulars.
Our building has had a bad history of drivers coming in early to work off the clock, and lunches/breaks skipped (this is one of the many reasons why our old management team got flushed out) so I would hope this is not happening over there.

Hobizzle

Over here we have a start time at 0’9:30. The only drivers that get here before 9 and do anything are newbies on their 30 days that are looking at their routes which are added to right up until 9:29. Preload is 90% cut by 9:10. The bulk of last bits of loading are done by the air drivers getting back from EAM’s around 8:30-9. Drivers are on sups for working like a hawk so they don’t do anything unless it’s peak or after the drivers leave.

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
Over here, it's happens once in a while. Even after driving shifts they'll ask for volunteers to help twilight (if a bunch don't show up). Technically we can refuse just based on they are changing start time without proper notice. But none of us do. Ive seen vets ask for more hours for overtime and management lets them work these shifts. We all get paid our driver rate to do it, at overtime pay. I personally would rather see a driver do this than watch management work.

D

Deleted member 77202

What procedure did they not follow in this union procedure book you speak of?
What I meant was:
Are Drivers allowed to work off the clock doing other jobs in the building?
And: Are Drivers allowed to work in other areas of the building, period -- either on or off the clock?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Are Drivers allowed to work off the clock doing other jobs in the building?

No.

Are Drivers allowed to work in other areas of the building, period -- either on or off the clock?

Off the clock, no.
On the clock, yes.

Just because these drivers were working before their start time, doesn't necessarily mean they're working off the clock.

The company has every right to start these drivers early, have them do whatever they want, wherever they want, as long as they are compensating them per this union book you speak of.