Supervisors working preload

Inputnamehere

Hi, I work preload in the Western / UPstate NY supplement.

Supervisors have "helped" handle packages in one way or another for 10-20 minutes at a time multiple times a day since I can remember, though I know this shouldn't be happening at all. It's become the norm for so long that nobody really does anything. Our steward refuses to take grievances for all these times supervisors are working because of the sheer volume of grievances... Too bad, that's what a steward does!

Anyways, my question is are their provisions in the contract for when a center is short staffed. 2 people were fired from preload - one end of last week, and one beginning this week. 2 supervisions worked virtually the entire shift.

3 questions:

What can I do if the steward refuses to take the grievances each time a supervisor is working? ( he claims the BA doesn't want grievances for small things like this)

Is there language in the contract that allows supervisors to work when short staffed?

If 2 supervisors are working at the same time, does the grievance amount increase?

Thanks

Turdferguson

Just a turd
What can I do if the steward refuses to take the grievances each time a supervisor is working? ( he claims the BA doesn't want grievances for small things like this)
Contact the union hall, if the BA doesn't want to honor your grievance, file NLRB charges.
It's on the contract for a reason.
Is there language in the contract that allows supervisors to work when short staffed?
Then firing someone is not a legitimate reason to be short staffed.
If 2 supervisors are working at the same time, does the grievance amount increase?
Yes, you file a the person working, not the work done

OrionIsDaddy

If they have exhausted their extra work list, the double shift list, called people that arent scheduled, etc and still dont have enough staff then ya supervisors are going to work to make sure the sort gets done on time.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Thanks for all the help. So, what about in other circumstances? Example call-ins, etc. Does that allow supes to work?
From the national
Section 7. Supervisors Working
(a) The Employer agrees that the function of supervisors is the super-
vision of Employees and not the performance of the work of the em-
ployees they supervise. Accordingly, the Employer agrees that super-
visors or other employees of the Employer who are not members of
the bargaining unit shall not perform any bargaining unit work, ex-
cept to train employees or demonstrate safety, or as otherwise provid-
ed in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum. However, in
the case of Acts of God, supervisors shall comply with the proce-
dures in subsections (b) and (c) and may only perform bargaining unit work until bargaining unit employees are available. The Em-
ployer shall make every reasonable effort to maintain a sufficient
workforce to staff its operations with bargaining unit employees. The
Employer also agrees that supervisors or other employees of the Em-
ployer who are not members of the bargaining unit shall not perform
bargaining unit work in preparing the work areas before the start of
the Employer’s hub, preload or reload operation, nor shall the Em-
ployer send any bargaining unit employee home and then have such
employee’s work performed by a supervisor or other employees of
the Employer who are not a member of the bargaining unit.
(b) When additional employees are necessary to complete the Em-
ployer’s operations on any shift or within any classification, the
supervisor shall exhaust all established local practices to first use
bargaining unit employees including where applicable, double
shifting, early call-in, and overtime.

Justaloader

Subbing to this thread, as this is the same situation in my location - happens every day. The "rank and file" are sent home at the end of the shift (usually 10 pm) and then the PD is cleaned up (by cleaned up, I mean belts cleared, irregs loaded, etc) by the PT sups. When this was brought up to our steward, he laughed.

Bit of a catch 22...as filing has repercussions for the person doing said filing. (Target on your back, your life at the plant being made miserable, the list goes on) However, not filing also comes with it's own set of repercussions. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Subbing to this thread, as this is the same situation in my location - happens every day. The "rank and file" are sent home at the end of the shift (usually 10 pm) and then the PD is cleaned up (by cleaned up, I mean belts cleared, irregs loaded, etc) by the PT sups. When this was brought up to our steward, he laughed.

Bit of a catch 22...as filing has repercussions for the person doing said filing. (Target on your back, your life at the plant being made miserable, the list goes on) However, not filing also comes with it's own set of repercussions. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

try this
Grow some balls and do what needs to be done

Nah

They can only make you as miserable as you let them. Patience is the key to survival. Cross your Ts and dot your Is, follow the methods, remain calm and level headed instead of shouting. Remain respectful at all times.

I've dealt with the same situation in the past and I learned to view it more as a game than anything.

Justaloader

They can only make you as miserable as you let them. Patience is the key to survival. Cross your Ts and dot your Is, follow the methods, remain calm and level headed instead of shouting. Remain respectful at all times.

I've dealt with the same situation in the past and I learned to view it more as a game than anything.

I've never been one for games, and I've seen what happens to folks that go "against the grain", so to speak.

I'm more of a "come in, do my job, and go home" kind of person. Also there is the question of "are the ends worth the means".....

Justaloader

Usually nothing as soon as they realize they can't get to you. If you don't care, why are you following this thread?

Never said I didn't care. This isn't the first thread I've participated in this discussion in, either (as this topic seems to come up every few weeks). I just realize the stalemate that this topic is, or atleast that it has resulted in via every previous thread.....so I'm curious to see if this one ends up the same way, or if OP has any success in changing the "status quo".

Nah
Never said I didn't care. This isn't the first thread I've participated in this discussion in, either (as this topic seems to come up every few weeks). I just realize the stalemate that this topic is, or atleast that it has resulted in via every previous thread.....so I'm curious to see if this one ends up the same way, or if OP has any success in changing the "status quo".

Success isn't hard to come by if you refuse to give up. Unfortunately, a lot of people encounter one bad steward and it ends there. If the steward is bad, call the BA. If the BA is bad, call the local president. Etc.. My experience has shown me that a lot of people lack motivation to go through the proper process.

Justaloader

Success isn't hard to come by if you refuse to give up. Unfortunately, a lot of people encounter one bad steward and it ends there. If the steward is bad, call the BA. If the BA is bad, call the local president. Etc.. My experience has shown me that a lot of people lack motivation to go through the proper process.

Exactly. I don't deny that I, per your words, lack motivation to go through the process. I also lack the knowledge as getting ahold of union people in my area is futile, at best...and hoping that they have the integrity and discipline to "do their jobs" is a battle in and of itself.

That, and as I said - it's a question of if the ends are worth the means. OP goes through the process - sups stop doing union work. Then what...fast forward a month or two when the OP realizes he's busting his ass, UPS won't hire more people to cover the additional workload....and realizes he got exactly what he asked for. What then? Let me guess - go through the process again in the hopes that UPS will properly staff the operation?

We went through this process at my center....we now have 7 people on my crew to cover loading 9 doors (I'm a twilight loader that loads outbound trailers in the heaviest "PD" of the building). Our sups used to jump in and help us when we get overwhelmed - and get yelled at for doing so by building management. The same management that won't hire more people, and won't adjust processes so that things run at a steady pace all night. Instead, their philosophy is to unload all the inbounds as quickly as possible, completely overwhelming the system, and then blame outbounds for not "moving fast enough" to get things done. This problem isn't just on my PD - it's building-wide.

Not sure how long you've been here - but, some folks who have been here a while and have fought this battle realize it's just not worth the hassle, considering the battle is a ciclical process that never ends. There's also the mantra "be careful what you wish for, as you may just get it". Add to that, some of us realize it's just easier (right, wrong, or indifferent) to keep your head down, mouth shut, stack the boxes, collect your paycheck, and leave it at that.

I wish the OP luck and hope that he, should he pursue the battle, has different results than what I've seen. Somehow I think this thread will be forgotten about (just like all of the others), and the results of his efforts, should they even take place, never shared. The cycle continues.....

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Not sure how long you've been here - but, some folks who have been here a while and have fought this battle realize it's just not worth the hassle, considering the battle is a ciclical process that never ends.

There was a whole lot of drivel in your post, but this part is my favorite.

First off, how long have you been with UPS?
My bet is under a year. Am I close?

Secondly, are you suggesting that you can't get a hold of your union representation?
Lemme help you out.
LMGTFY

Thirdly, are you really suggesting that your situation has become worse because the supervisors are no longer working?
If so, you are being colossally asinine. I suggest you grow a pair, and stop trying to hit their PPH.

It's sheep like you that create this problem.

Justaloader

There was a whole lot of drivel in your post, but this part is my favorite.

First off, how long have you been with UPS?
My bet is under a year. Am I close?

Secondly, are you suggesting that you can't get a hold of your union representation?
Lemme help you out.
LMGTFY

Thirdly, are you really suggesting that your situation has become worse because the supervisors are no longer working?
If so, you are being colossally asinine. I suggest you grow a pair, and stop trying to hit their PPH.

It's sheep like you that create this problem.

First - long enough to know better.
Second - getting ahold of them isn't the problem, it's getting a response and action that's the problem.
Third - Could give a rats ass about PPH. Colossally asinine? Hmm...9 doors...that usually have one loader (union or sup, regardless) in each door. Take two of the guys away.....that somehow translates to the situation getting better? Must be that "new math" I keep hearing about. Even when there are 9 guys loading, it isn't enough to keep up. So, yes - removing manpower equates to the situation getting worse.

Call it drivel, bull:censored2:, oh woe is me....label it however the hell you want. It's reality in my area.

Tell you what - every time this topic comes up, there is a whole lot of "YOU should do this, this this and this"....Yet I've never once seen a "What local are you in? Hold tight, let me make some phone calls and see what can be accomplished". Care to spearhead?

Nah
That, and as I said - it's a question of if the ends are worth the means. OP goes through the process - sups stop doing union work. Then what...fast forward a month or two when the OP realizes he's busting his ass, UPS won't hire more people to cover the additional workload

Why would he bust his ass? He's paid by the hour. There's absolutely no sense in trying to work harder or faster because you're understaffed. Work the same way you always do, and watch it implode if it comes to that. If it happens enough, they'll hire people.

I had a PT supervisor who was hung out to dry a few years ago. He always complained about staffing, but then subsequently yelled at us for not being done by an arbitrary time determined by the division manager.

On two separate occasions I confronted him on this. One time, I said if the job keeps getting done, they'll never give us more people. The second time, when he said it "MUST be finished by 1am, or else!"
I said "or else what? They'll hire more people?"

His reaction could be described as a combination of anger and agreement. He was upset he was going to get chewed out if we didn't finish on time, but he knew I was right.

and realizes he got exactly what he asked for. What then? Let me guess - go through the process again in the hopes that UPS will properly staff the operation?

Let them make that decision, and soak up the extra hours while you can. Like I said. If they don't wrap up on time often enough, they'll get new people in.

We went through this process at my center....we now have 7 people on my crew to cover loading 9 doors (I'm a twilight loader that loads outbound trailers in the heaviest "PD" of the building). Our sups used to jump in and help us when we get overwhelmed - and get yelled at for doing so by building management. The same management that won't hire more people, and won't adjust processes so that things run at a steady pace all night. Instead, their philosophy is to unload all the inbounds as quickly as possible, completely overwhelming the system, and then blame outbounds for not "moving fast enough" to get things done. This problem isn't just on my PD - it's building-wide.

That sounds typical. I'm surprised they even give you 7 people.

Justaloader

Why would he bust his ass? He's paid by the hour. There's absolutely no sense in trying to work harder or faster because you're understaffed. Work the same way you always do, and watch it implode if it comes to that. If it happens enough, they'll hire people.

I had a PT supervisor who was hung out to dry a few years ago. He always complained about staffing, but then subsequently yelled at us for not being done by an arbitrary time determined by the division manager.

On two separate occasions I confronted him on this. One time, I said if the job keeps getting done, they'll never give us more people. The second time, when he said it "MUST be finished by 1am, or else!"
I said "or else what? They'll hire more people?"

His reaction could be described as a combination of anger and agreement. He was upset he was going to get chewed out if we didn't finish on time, but he knew I was right.

Let them make that decision, and soak up the extra hours while you can. Like I said. If they don't wrap up on time often enough, they'll get new people in.

That sounds typical. I'm surprised they even give you 7 people.

Exactly what I've been doing for the last few months.....it was "interesting" during peak, as it seemed they realized the need for more staff. Peak ended, folks were let go, and the cycle continues. I'm still waiting for the implosion. Hasn't happened yet....and unfortunately doesn't seem like it will being that they send us "rank and file" home every night around 10 pm, and then all of the sups go around to the various PD's finishing up the work.