Supervisors working

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Seeing how most UPS Drivers mostly have a high school education and no skills other than how to drink beer, drive a truck and play Gameboy on their DIADs, I don't think I would be too critical. Only one step above a ditch digger except they have a Union that gets them compensated 3 times what they are worth. Just saying.
I dug ditches for three years. Probably the best job I ever had. No one messes with the guy five feet down in the hole putting in honest work. It’s good for you too!

Heffalump

What is it about supervisors working that really gets you guys worked up.

Is it because the contract says we can’t, or do you guys think by us working we are legitimately taking work away from you guys.

I’ve always been curious
You think upper management even knows you moved a box? All they know is a specific area, that got bombarded with packages, got clean "right on time" so lets do it again tomorrow. And last I checked every package handled is accounted for in UNION HANDS. You are not in the equation, just there to observe and report.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Funniest thing. We give guys plenty of work yet complain when we help. There's no pleasing these people.
1250 pieces and I still want more work dude, last year at about this same time, I was averaging 35 hours, now I barely get more than 30.

I want to work for however long it takes to get my stuff wrapped up.
And I most definitely want to be given enough time to wrap up completely, verify airs before drivers arrive and leave 30 minutes late EVERY DAY FOR MONTHS.

You supervisors, neighboring coworkers, and drivers are taking away my overtime. I can tolerate help from union employees to a certain extent (since we get higher compensation than PT sups lol), but ffs no I do not want work taken away from me. All the help I get is incredibly inefficient, unorganized, ruins service.

3 grievances and all my help is now union-only, sad that two of them were directed at my FT sup.

Last edited:

Daf

Funniest thing. We give guys plenty of work yet complain when we help. There's no pleasing these people.
It is the co
the company needs to hire enough people to get the job done. If they staff properly you would not need to work. By you working you are contributing to a false production number. Your boss will receive a bonus for a number that was never really made. Then they will demand an even better number and it will snowball into a giant Ponzi scheme.

Besides that, if I violate the contract you are more than happy to call me out on it. Should I not expect you to follow it also.

CitizenTruth

Is it because the contract says we can’t, or do you guys think by us working we are legitimately taking work away from you guys.

I’ve always been curious
The only reason you guys help is to fudge your numbers, no way your dropping a timecard for hours worked

lolbr

I have two issues with supervisors working:

First, it's taking away work that could be given to a union employee. That work could be the straw that gets another employee hired.

Second, if a supervisor is doing a employees job, then they are not doing their own job. There are things that need attention to give proper direction to the employees. Also, most cases I've seen where a supervisor is helping, it's because that employee hasn't been properly trained. Take that time to train the employee how to do the job correctly instead (that's also part of a supervisor's job). It will get a lot more done in the long run.

Slug Life

When do we eat?

I’ve always been curious
It’s all about the money baby!!!

upload_2018-10-1_12-13-44.jpeg

unloady

Because essentially supervisors working are over paid package handlers. $18.45 to start now? Thats what we should be making. That will never happen though. You pay us pennies so dont be surprised when we file grievances for free money. Follow the contract. Simple. Stick to your clipboards and polo shirts. You chose management, abide by the rules. If you have to work you obviously have a staffing issue. Should have stayed hourly if you like to work.

Cansado

Most of the times I've moved packages myself on the line have been to cover for a while when 75%of the line doesn't show up.

Cansado

Because essentially supervisors working are over paid package handlers. $18.45 to start now? Thats what we should be making. That will never happen though. You pay us pennies so dont be surprised when we file grievances for free money. Follow the contract. Simple. Stick to your clipboards and polo shirts. You chose management, abide by the rules. If you have to work you obviously have a staffing issue. Should have stayed hourly if you like to work.

I'm curious what the hourly price point would be to get people to come to work, and retain them for a reasonable time. My hub went to $15 start and attendence is worse.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I'm curious what the hourly price point would be to get people to come to work, and retain them for a reasonable time. My hub went to $15 start and attendence is worse.
It's not about the price at this point unless it is somewhere as high as $19/h
put the focus back on sequence charts, offer peer training for new loaders from one's that got it all figured out, egress, clear walk paths, stack tables. All would go a long way to break apart the toxic enviroment people are avoiding as of now.

Accelerated training is a must-have since the average seniority has plummeted in recent years.

The Range

In too deep
Allowing supervisors to work will exacerbate staffing issues. They will become ghost employees in your work area and you'll pay the price as they are not consistently working. The union is a united workforce. You are hurting yourself by allowing supervisors to do your work in lieu of a union worker. Pension in the red? You need more contributors, not less. It's comical how people allow themselves to be taken advantage of while leaving money on the table - for a fist bump from a supervisor who doesn't give a damn about your naive ass (98% of Teamsters).

Last edited:

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
Imo it's not about Supervisors actually working...cause it kinda makes you feel okay to see a Supervisor in the trenches with you. The issue is sending folks home 20 mins after the start or running shoe string sort operation to make #s look good. Like a person mentioned, cutting contribution to hourly related insurances,pensions,etc. Is real.

Cansado

Imo it's not about Supervisors actually working...cause it kinda makes you feel okay to see a Supervisor in the trenches with you. The issue is sending folks home 20 mins after the start or running shoe string sort operation to make #s look good. Like a person mentioned, cutting contribution to hourly related insurances,pensions,etc. Is real.
Logical AF.

Superteeth2478

Allowing supervisors to work will exacerbate staffing issues. They will become ghost employees in your work area and you'll pay the price as they are not consistently working. The union is a united workforce. You are hurting yourself by allowing supervisors to do your work in lieu of a union worker. Pension in the red? You need more contributors, not less. It's comical how people allow themselves to be taken advantage of while leaving money on the table - for a fist bump from a supervisor who doesn't give a damn about your naive ass (98% of Teamsters).
That is a super valid point about less pension contributions. It's something I had never thought about. It's also something that can possibly get more people to file in my hub, for the long-term thinkers, anyways.