Supervisors working

SameRightsForAll

What is it about supervisors working that really gets you guys worked up.

Is it because the contract says we can’t, or do you guys think by us working we are legitimately taking work away from you guys.

I’ve always been curious

The best answer to your question is that each bargaining unit employee (union worker) is held accountable for his own numbers and actions. When you help somebody appear to be performing well all week it hurts them in the long run and it hurts the operation as a whole. Now when there's a fuster cluck happening but the supervisor who likes to run around putting out fires isn't at work, it looks like everybody is suddenly having problems.

Let's say you're on vacation and come back to hear the driver claiming that the new guy was able to keep up with no problem, insinuating that you aren't doing your best, when in reality the driver wasn't at work yet while the supervisors were helping load his area. When you tell the driver that the loader had help all week, he tells you you're making excuses and doesn't want to hear it.

Another serious issue is when a supervisor intentionally helps certain people and ignores others, causing the person who didn't get any help during a fuster-cluck to appear like he was the ONLY one slacking or not able to keep up. The reasons said workers might not get help could be because they've reported supervisors working in the past, and what better way to punish that worker than to not give him help during a fuster cluck. This is tantamount to walking up to him and punching him in the gut and walking away, not that I'm trying to give any prick supervisors any new ideas to torture the workers they don't like.

probably the worse part time supervisor is the one who actually had to be a package handler for a good period of time. They are so bitter and disgruntled at the abuse they suffered that they are huge dick heads

The dark side

probably the worse part time supervisor is the one who actually had to be a package handler for a good period of time. They are so bitter and disgruntled at the abuse they suffered that they are huge dick heads
Being a package handler was awesome. Did it for a year and half. Just couldn’t make enough money. Seniority means about jack :censored2: where I’m from. 22.3’s get there 4 hours and just leave. Don’t ask don’t tell anyone. Best workers get rewarded for what they. Want to leave early cya want a little OT you got it.

542thruNthru

I was only promoted because I can keep the bell off not because I can read.

Hey @Box Ox We got another one here!
latest.gif

He said promoted!!!
gYtHr0qrUq82Ah-kiLPfeIn7UujOv9BKdR-TiTnVhwE.gif

PT sup a promotion!
giphy-40.gif

RolloTony Brown Town

That and they know how the job is supposed to be done and they see people that know how to do it and choose to do it poorly.

J.R.

IMO the short answer is it's the first one. It's because it's in the contract, which is a legally binding document. Just like seniority it's quite unfair, but it's consistently unfair.

In general I try to assess the situation reasonably. Is a supervisor just running a package after everyone left--or trying to keep a belt from burning down because someone up and quit midshift? I wouldn't say anything to them. Am I working my butt off next to a supervisor because upper management decided to play the numbers game and send half our staffing home? Not so fast. Am I being force-cut right at five hours but told the staggered start time new-hire with something to prove and doesn't grieve supervisor's working is going to finish an hour's work in the next 10 minutes? That's fine. I'll wait the ten minutes and bump him :happy2:

In some cases no one was sent home, we're still understaffed, and a supe is trying to make the best of a bad situation--but was the double shift list exhausted? If not, I'll call it out, overtime is hard to come by and as far as in-building PTers are concerned, we're not exactly rolling in dough.

Personally, I have zero problem at all with supervisor's working, be my guest...
As long as I get paid for it :cool:
Ditto

Integrity

Binge Poster

Is it because the contract says we can’t, or do you guys think by us working we are legitimately taking work away from you guys.

I’ve always been curious
Supervisors doing bargaining unit work without proper justification is harmful to UPS, they are hurting every UPS employee.

When all members who are aware of it don't file a grievance or sign a grievance when Supervisors are doing bargaining unit work without proper justification it is harmful to UPS, they too are hurting every UPS employee.

Supervisors doing bargaining unit work without proper justification is harmful to UPS, they are hurting every UPS employee.

When all members who are aware of it don't file a grievance or sign a grievance when Supervisors are doing bargaining unit work without proper justification it is harmful to UPS, they too are hurting every UPS employee.
If that's the case there is a lot of hurting going on regularly. Lol.

Johnny123456789

The problem is when management replace workers rather than helping them. In our hub, we had layoffs while management worked constantly. Atleast admit that you're working.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver

I’ve always been curious

Keep on working because our guys are being paid for it.

RealPerson

The more people they hire, the more people that are paying into the pension...........(well UPS pays into it for that bargaining unit.....)

lurker123

I didn't bother reading every reply so this could have been brought up already... You are told that you have to run certain numbers to make plan. You might think that in order to make those numbers you have to help out here and there. So what if you do make plan one week with the help of your unaccounted for time, what do you think your manager is going to ask of you the following week? They'll just keep asking more and more of you and your hourlies. It's really not in your best interest to work!