Supervisors working

The dark side

What is it about supervisors working that really gets you guys worked up.

Is it because the contract says we can’t, or do you guys think by us working we are legitimately taking work away from you guys.

I’ve always been curious

R. Mutt

"You're not my supervisor!"
IMO the short answer is it's the first one. It's because it's in the contract, which is a legally binding document. Just like seniority it's quite unfair, but it's consistently unfair.

In general I try to assess the situation reasonably. Is a supervisor just running a package after everyone left--or trying to keep a belt from burning down because someone up and quit midshift? I wouldn't say anything to them. Am I working my butt off next to a supervisor because upper management decided to play the numbers game and send half our staffing home? Not so fast. Am I being force-cut right at five hours but told the staggered start time new-hire with something to prove and doesn't grieve supervisor's working is going to finish an hour's work in the next 10 minutes? That's fine. I'll wait the ten minutes and bump him :happy2:

In some cases no one was sent home, we're still understaffed, and a supe is trying to make the best of a bad situation--but was the double shift list exhausted? If not, I'll call it out, overtime is hard to come by and as far as in-building PTers are concerned, we're not exactly rolling in dough.

Personally, I have zero problem at all with supervisor's working, be my guest...
As long as I get paid for it :cool:

BrownRecycler

The purpose of the contract language is to provide adequate amount of works without having loophole for cheating the guaranteed hours contractual language.

The supervisor role is to supervise, follow UPS safety issues, and manage the team not to do the work that team member is doing. Yes, you are trying to be humble and courteous. But, at the end of the day, it is up to the team members not the supervisor to finish the job not the other way around so that they have available work resource to earn a hourly wage.

UPS will not pay people to stand around and do nothing. So, the whole point is to maintain an active work resource for union members. Supervisor done enough for their role any way in supervising and managing. You cannot easily play chief and indian at the same time. There is one chief and group of indian.

Dulce Bombón

I'm Legal Gringo! UPS Latina Heat! Haters ❤ me!

Is it because the contract says we can’t, or do you guys think by us working we are legitimately taking work away from you guys.

I’ve always been curious

There is not enough supply of clipboards in their respective areas.:wellduh::youreright::gityasmiley::shutupsmiley:....
81XaH8WMybL._SL1500_.jpg

llamainmypocket

I’ve always been curious

In my building, if your keeping up they'll swap cars and give you more stuff. Supervisors helping just leads to humping more boxes. You wouldn't actually be helping but making it worse. When I loaded cars I'd kick sips out of mine.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Part time supes that don't get why Teamsters don't want them doing their work. Isn't that cute. Your inexperience and naivety are adorable. Yes, it is a contract violation...and the reason it's a violation is Yes, you are genuinely taking away union work.

You may not think it's a big deal, but if every supe does a few minutes here and there, on a national level, daily, that's a lot of jobs NOT being created that are obviously necessary. Even if it's not enough to create more jobs, you're taking away hours and pay from an hourly employee that wants that time. One of the union's jobs is to grow union membership by growing union jobs. Enforcing those contract provisions are all members responsibility.

PT Crazy

Defiantly violation of the contract. Our Hub Operations Manager works the whole shift. Unloading and loading trailers. He is a fake production numbers kind of guy. Grievances get paid.

The dark side

Part time supes that don't get why Teamsters don't want them doing their work. Isn't that cute. Your inexperience and naivety are adorable. Yes, it is a contract violation...and the reason it's a violation is Yes, you are genuinely taking away union work.

You may not think it's a big deal, but if every supe does a few minutes here and there, on a national level, daily, that's a lot of jobs NOT being created that are obviously necessary. Even if it's not enough to create more jobs, you're taking away hours and pay from an hourly employee that wants that time. One of the union's jobs is to grow union membership by growing union jobs. Enforcing those contract provisions are all members responsibility.

I get that people come to their job to make money. I was there too. The culture varies from place to place. I come from a hub where a lot of the pt’s are teenagers who just want to leave.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Impressed that UPS found a PT sup that knows how to read.
Seeing how most UPS Drivers mostly have a high school education and no skills other than how to drink beer, drive a truck and play Gameboy on their DIADs, I don't think I would be too critical. Only one step above a ditch digger except they have a Union that gets them compensated 3 times what they are worth. Just saying.

Heavy Package

Seeing how most UPS Drivers mostly have a high school education and no skills other than how to drink beer, drive a truck and play Gameboy on their DIADs, I don't think I would be too critical. Only one step above a ditch digger except they have a Union that gets them compensated 3 times what they are worth. Just saying.

Tell that to the little girl I slammed on the brakes for last week who wasn't looking while riding her bike and stopped traffic on the other side of the road until she was safe.

Tell the man in the wheelchair who I go out of my way to personally deliver his medicine and personal items to him while everyone else throws them on his porch where he can't get them.

Tell that to the women who cried when I brought her her puppy's ashes who died of disease.

Tell that to the hospital workers at the dock who radio when I pull in and swarm the truck looking for the surgical supplies for a critical procedure that day.

You are a faceless soul who does nothing to deliver customer service or keep the brand of UPS up to a high standard. Most customers who I have never met wave all day at the truck, offer me snacks and drinks, and know we bust our ass for them.

Gman33909

Wow thats how you perceive drivers sad

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
:censored2: you

Just saying.