Suprise checkride...am I a jerk?

I'm a real jerk, right?

• Nah, not really

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Sure, but I like you anyway.

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

SmithBarney

So usually one of our esteemed managers will give at least a days notice for a check ride
I know it's not necessary but they do it to be nice, let us plan better etc...

I'll preface this by saying I have a very rural route and usually break at home with my partner.
(when I know of an upcoming ride along, I pack a lunch and park)

So today I'm greeted with a familiar pink cooler sitting on the passenger seat during my pretrip...check rides don't bother me, it's just the flavor of the month for the managers honeydo list. I was unprepared for this, what happened during lunch makes me smile, even if it makes me a jerk. I went home for lunch, parked down my driveway a little bit, told the manager to get out, I locked the vehicle(vehicle must be secured) told my manager I'd be back after lunch... I left her sitting on the bumper with her pink cooler...(my partner has history with the manager and definitely wouldn't want them near the home.)

So am I a jerk, sure...maybe but it's my break not theirs.

dex 84

I would've at least given her the key to the vehicle. It's still secured if you leave it in her responsibility.

I used to have a route in the same town as the station and so I never had a checkride that didn't end with the manager asking to be dropped off around noon.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Depends... ;)
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1442979947.165685.jpg

dezguy

I always take my break at home and my manager is not invited in. Usually he/she will just take the keys and do their own thing. I've never told them to get out and make them take their lunch on the back bumper, though. Might have to try that one! LOL

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I always take my break at home and my manager is not invited in. Usually he/she will just take the keys and do their own thing. I've never told them to get out and make them take their lunch on the back bumper, though. Might have to try that one! LOL

I remember, once upon a time, when a check ride always meant a free lunch. Lol.

dezguy

I remember, once upon a time, when a check ride always meant a free lunch. Lol.
Haven't seen a free meal or offered one in ages. In any case, these days I'll give up a free meal just to avoid having to spend more time with my manager than I have to.

It's always awkward anyways; You and your manager sitting there trying to make small talk while waiting for your meal. My manager is a good enough manager but I'm not friends with them, nor do I want to be.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Haven't seen a free meal or offered one in ages. In any case, these days I'll give up a free meal just to avoid having to spend more time with my manager than I have to.

It's always awkward anyways; You and your manager sitting there trying to make small talk while waiting for your meal. My manager is a good enough manager but I'm not friends with them, nor do I want to be.

I get along great with my manager. We always have plenty to talk about. I just try to keep the subject away from religion, or then he's preaching. LOL.

l22

So usually one of our esteemed managers will give at least a days notice for a check ride

I'll preface this by saying I have a very rural route and usually break at home with my partner.

So today I'm greeted with a familiar pink cooler sitting on the passenger seat during my pretrip...check rides don't bother me, it's just the flavor of the month for the managers honeydo list. I was unprepared for this, what happened during lunch makes me smile, even if it makes me a jerk. I went home for lunch, parked down my driveway a little bit, told the manager to get out, I locked the vehicle(vehicle must be secured) told my manager I'd be back after lunch... I left her sitting on the bumper with her pink cooler...(my partner has history with the manager and definitely wouldn't want them near the home.)

I would have given her the keys.

hypo hanna

Was it raining?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I went home for lunch, parked down my driveway a little bit, told the manager to get out, I locked the vehicle(vehicle must be secured) told my manager I'd be back after lunch... I left her sitting on the bumper with her pink cooler...

Here's hoping you don't have an issue and it will be decided at her discretion.

l22

Just seems like a bad thing to do, unprofessional too. Ops managers have a hard job just as couriers do. Sure, a lot of them are bad - it is a lonely and hard job for them. For the few good ones, it is even lonelier and harder to do. We need to all act civilized in this business and professional above all... Even if she hadn't acted civilized/professional in the past, you still could have led by example. After all, you have to work with her.