Sups working during peak season?

Ouch

If you work the preload for 6 hour you wsensed only be able to drive for 6. It makes much more sense to have you available for 12 hours of driving.
Not really cause your 6 hours of preload will now be paid at package rate. It would make more sense to ups but remember who we are dealing with here.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Come on people, keep your eye on the ball!!!
We are talking about part time supervisors, sorting regularly on the Midnight Sort.
Aside from isolated incidences, it is unacceptable.

Think about it, if the sort can dovetail a couple of part time supervisors into the mix, they can radically improve their pieces per hour.
With the PT Supe "multitasking", they get 2 for the price of 1.
If a Sort Manager is successful in fostering this dynamic, he looks great on paper and earns a bigger bonus.
Follow the money people.

PT Car Washer

And if you let a couple high seniority PTers in by letting them have a free ride because the kids don't know any better. That is the way my Twi sort is running things. Let people who may file go home early. Send other high seniority people to retape. Then we need sups to work because we are short of help. Good deal for some hourlies. Get paid $31.75 an hour not to work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Then grievances need to be filed if you (or anyone else) is being skipped over.

They are being skipped over for the preload so that they will be available for the whole day for driving. It wouldn't make any sense to have them work 6 hours on the preload and to only have 6 hours available to drive. It's not as though they are sitting home not working so I don't see where there is any basis for a grievance.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
They are being skipped over for the preload so that they will be available for the whole day for driving. It wouldn't make any sense to have them work 6 hours on the preload and to only have 6 hours available to drive. It's not as though they are sitting home not working so I don't see where there is any basis for a grievance.

Making sense has nothing to do with. As far as UPS is concern paying there workers anything more than dirt doesn't make sense. We have a contract for just this reason. If they want us driving and work sups in the morning then they need to pay us for it.

Ouch

They are being skipped over for the preload so that they will be available for the whole day for driving. I wouldn't make any sense to have them work 6 hours on the preload and to only have 6 hours available to drive. It's not as though they are sitting home not working so I don't see where there is any basis for a grievance.
It called seniority and going by the contract. It shouldnt matter what your preload manager thinks, or the center manager. If your qualified, you should be asked in seniority order. Doesnt really matter that it doesnt make sense to you.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
I believe PC has precedence over preload. Just like if feeders want a PC driver, feeders get PC driver.

The FMCSA HOS (hours of service rules) allows drivers to work 14 hours a day. Because everyone needs to make the air trailer by about 7:30-7:45 pm most never go beyond 12-12.5 a day leaving room for preload work. There is no provision in the contract that mentions anything about package car precedents in the assignments of work. Supervisors are not allow to do bargaining unit work unless they exhaust all other options. I'm going to file a grievance for the balances of time I worked driving and the time lost to sup's working up to 70 hours. This week alone that will be about 11.5 hours. Or about $500. Merry Christmas.

upschuck

I guessing you either signed a seasonal bid or agreed to drive, so I agree with Up. I hope you win the grievance, but don't think that is going to happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As upschuck said, he is either a seasonal driver or agreed to drive during Peak, thus relinquishing any right that he may have to also work the preload. His primary obligation during Peak is to package car, not the preload, and any grievance would be without basis.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
As upschuck said, he is either a seasonal driver or agreed to drive during Peak, thus relinquishing any right that he may have to also work the preload. His primary obligation during Peak is to package car, not the preload, and any grievance would be without basis.

I'm on a seniority call in list. Whats that tell ya?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your math is aittle off. There's 14 hrs of on duty time available, not 12.:oops:

Whatever----the point is the same. His commitment during Peak is package car.

Now, I am not condoning supervisors working----they should hire to ensure the operation is fully staffed---but the last thing you want to do is have a qualified driver running out of hours because he worked the preload.

C

chuchu

Whatever----the point is the same. His commitment during Peak is package car.

Now, I am not condoning supervisors working----they should hire to ensure the operation is fully staffed---but the last thing you want to do is have a qualified driver running out of hours because he worked the preload.
"The point is" ... they don't hire enough. Get with the program thread. The underlying point is ... wait for it...THEY DO IT ALL YEAR LONG AND WE'RE SICK OF IT.

You must post this stuff for the he same reason supervision does hourly work unnecessarily. You like stirring things up too?