sups working

rebel

I would like to give a shout out to all of our sups for all of the hard work they do. If it were not for yall, our sort would never get down. Maybe one day they will be able to wear a white shirt and tell another sup to do our work!

Last edited:

HazMatMan

You know, there are some reasons a sup can work, BUT, i've noticed even when the staffing is at 100% they still work. (i'm talking about inside work) it's like they NEED to touch packages, like there is something about boxes that fascinates them. We had a sup once on preload who we challenged not to touch packages, so he stood there with his hands at his sides his clip board in hand but sure enough not nearly 3 seconds later he touched a package and then said he didn't. To this day I still try to figure out what it is about those brown boxes that a sup feels he needs to touch. lol

over9five

Staff member
"the safety committee has ask management to wear bow ties since they are less likely to get caught in the moving belts"

LOL!!!

local804

A Supervisor is an employee of an organization with some of the powers and responsibilities of management, occupying a role between true manager and a regular employee. A Supervisor position is typically the first step towards being promoted into a management role.

Supervisor, foreman, foreperson, team leader, overseer, cell coach, facilitator and area coordinator are all different names for the supervisor function. The US Bureau of Census has four hundred titles under the supervisor classification.

An employee is a supervisor if they have the power and authority to do the following actions (according to the Ontario Ministry of Labour):

Give instructions and/or orders to subordinates.
Be held responsible for the work and actions of other employees.
Administer discipline and penalties.
If an employee cannot do all of the above, legally he is probably not a supervisor, but in some other category, such as lead hand.

A supervisor is first and foremost a gang boss whose main responsibility is to ensure that a group of subordinates get out the assigned amount of production, when they are suppose to do it and within acceptable levels of quality, costs and safety.

A Supervisor is responsible for the productivity and actions of a small group of employees. The Supervisor has several manager like roles, responsibilities, and powers. Two of the key differences between a Supervisor and a Manager are (1) the Supervisor does not typically have "hire and fire" authority, and (2) the Supervisor does not have budget authority.

Lacking "hire and fire" authority means that a Supervisor usually does not recruit the employees working in the Supervisor's group nor does the Supervisor have the authority to terminate an employee. The Supervisor may participate in the hiring process as part of interviewing and assessing candidates but the actual hiring authority rests in the hands of a Manager. The Supervisor may recommend to management that a particular employee be terminated and the Supervisor may be the one who documents the behaviors leading to the recommendation but the actual firing authority rests in the hands of a Manager.

Lacking budget authority means that a Supervisor is provided a budget developed by management within which constraints the Supervisor is expected to provide a productive environment for the employees of the Supervisor's work group. A Supervisor will usually have the authority to make purchases within specified limits. A Supervisor is also given the power to approve work hours and other payroll issues. Normally, budget affecting requests such as travel will require not only the Supervisor's approval but the approval of one or more layers of management.

As a member of management, a supervisor's main job is more concerned with orchestrating and controlling work rather than performing it directly.

There are a few suits that dont ever work(physically), I tip my cap off to them. They are the the reason they put the word SUPER in visor.
This buds for you oh fellow brownie. lol

I think it would be nice to have all low-level supervision join the union and pay dues. At least that way we can get something back from their theft of bargaining unit members time.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
I think it would be nice to have all low-level supervision join the union and pay dues. At least that way we can get something back from their theft of bargaining unit members time.

would you then ask them to slow down so they do not make the lesser bargaining union employees look bad?

paganpink

The only reason that they work in my building is because of high absenteeism. And although getting folks to show up every day is part of managements job as well, it is easier said then done. We have people who call in sick when its bad weather, and also call in when its really nice weather! A lot of the hard core Teamster union knuckleheads miss as many days as they possibly can without being terminated for it. They ignore warning letters and suspensions and show up just enough to not lose their jobs. They wait nine months for their discipline to drop off and then start the whole process over again. It means everyone has to work harder, including the sups, to get it all done.

local804

The only reason that they work in my building is because of high absenteeism. And although getting folks to show up every day is part of managements job as well, it is easier said then done. We have people who call in sick when its bad weather, and also call in when its really nice weather! A lot of the hard core Teamster union knuckleheads miss as many days as they possibly can without being terminated for it. They ignore warning letters and suspensions and show up just enough to not lose their jobs. They wait nine months for their discipline to drop off and then start the whole process over again. It means everyone has to work harder, including the sups, to get it all done.

And I am sure thats the only reason why they work. If you read the contract you will see there is other ways to fill positions besides having supervisors doing union work that was agreed by UPS. The problem with you pinky is you see only what you want to see. Open your eyes, and read the UPS contract. There are 35 people representing UPS that came up with language and its your responsibility to follow it.

HazMatMan

Teamster union knuckleheads?? that's not very nice jerky.. The only knuckleheads I see are the part time sups who bust their humps working for your so called absentee problems when they should be telling their superiors who are pretty much instructing them to work and get the job done, to get help elsewhere, be it another section, floor, wherever, but they are too scared to challenge the so called "superiors" because they might (will) lose their job. (Here I am bud, come get me!!!)

dragracer66

I would like to give a shout out to all of our sups for all of the hard work they do. If it were not for yall, our sort would never get down. Maybe one day they will be able to wear a white shirt and tell another sup to do our work!
Yea....If wasn't for them nothing would get delivered or fixed, they work full time hour's get paid for part time hour's, get promised the world and most of them quit after 1 year. Where else can you work your butt off get paid crap and have to pay for your benefit's and tell somebody 6 time's his age to hurry up and get that trailer unloaded or truck loaded and when that unloader or loader's shift is over they send him home just to save overtime and end up finishing the job themself. And then after all that they get to have there picture taken for no missort's or no misload's. So I say to you mr part time supervisor......THANKYOU!!! You Sucker!!!

Overpaid Union Thug

There isn't a problem with sups working here. It rarely happens. If a sup simply touches a box (to break a jam or help someone lift an over 70) we don't raise hell like people do at the hubs. Most of the time that is just a case of someone trying to get a free paycheck. Pure opportunism at it's best. Occasionally a sup will have to deliver an NDA or Early A.M. in order to make service, which is actually covered in the contract, so no one gripes about that either. If a sup runs a route it is VERY rare. Only after they've called up all hourly employees that can drive will they do that.

Being a small center puts us in a situation where we just don't have enough people sometimes. If more than one person calls in and we can't get someone from another shift to come in then we are screwed and a sup will more than likely have to step in. We don't complain because it's not their fault. We'd rather let them help us because it's usually next to impossible to run a shift with only a few people. If sups start replacing hourlys than that is when we'll have a problem. That is what the contract language was meant for. To keep that from happening.

W

westsideworma

Yea....If wasn't for them nothing would get delivered or fixed, they work full time hour's get paid for part time hour's, get promised the world and most of them quit after 1 year. Where else can you work your butt off get paid crap and have to pay for your benefit's and tell somebody 6 time's his age to hurry up and get that trailer unloaded or truck loaded and when that unloader or loader's shift is over they send him home just to save overtime and end up finishing the job themself. And then after all that they get to have there picture taken for no missort's or no misload's. So I say to you mr part time supervisor......THANKYOU!!! You Sucker!!!

actually part time supes are compensated now...or Premium time as its called. The supes in my building are held to 5.5 per day outside of peak to avoid such a thing (PT Supe working full time hours) happening.

Unfortunately it is a common occurrence in my center as well. I have offered solutions especially during this time to stop the part-time sups from having to work constantly but full-time management doesn't want to hear it. Today for example, all 5 of my fellow supervisors worked all day loading, unloading, clerk work ect. and we only had 3 call ins. Its more of a way to hide how much work we really have to make the people up top look better. Also, unfortunately most of the time we don't get compensated for it. I am working around 7 hours a day and still only getting paid for 5.5. Full-time management puts us in a extremely rough situation. :angry: