Switching to Fedex from Ups

MassWineGuy

Yes. And the initiation fee would be one rate nationwide, not each local setting it. I mean, really, how many UPS folks are thrilled with the job their shop stewards are doing?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I think unions are great in principal. I'd join one if I could. Anyone who appreciates the 40-hour work week owes that to unions.

But... if you have dues and initiation fees taken from your check but get no benefits or protection from the contract, then the IBT is definitely performing legalized theft. Some seasonal jobs, where the person has little chance of getting hired permanently, pay terribly to start with.

These folks should not be forced to pay a $500 initiation fee and dues. At least that's what they lifted from me in the Boston area.

I'd be willing to bet that you would be singing a different tune if you had made the cut at Parcel.

dezguy

Except that may I have a problem with that particular union and want a different union to represent me in the workplace. Unions set the rules that there will be one, and only one, union representing a class of employees in a workplace. Therefore you're stuck with bad representation or no job.

If they were genuinely concerned about the worker to the extent that they say they are, they'd drop the exclusivity.
The whole point of a union is to be a single, unified unit; There is power in numbers. Start allowing multiple bargaining units in one shop, covering the same employees would just create chaos.

If one doesn't like the union they belong to, they can always petition their coworkers to disband the union and vote another in.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The whole point of a union is to be a single, unified unit; There is power in numbers. Start allowing multiple bargaining units in one shop, covering the same employees would just create chaos.

If one doesn't like the union they belong to, they can always petition their coworkers to disband the union and vote another in.

Or stop paying dues.

dezguy

Or stop paying dues.
Hypothetically, you chose to work for a company that had a union. If you go into a job knowing you have to pay union dues but don't want to; Unless you're in a rtw state, tough luck.

Every time I go into a job interview, one of my questions at the end is whether or not the company is unionized.

59 Dano

Hypothetically, you chose to work for a company that had a union. If you go into a job knowing you have to pay union dues but don't want to; Unless you're in a rtw state, tough luck.

Every time I go into a job interview, one of my questions at the end is whether or not the company is unionized.

You don't see an issue with a law requiring (or banning) union membership?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Or stop paying dues.

One of my best friends works for a private carrier with a contract quite similar to UPS. He pays $60 per month in dues, has incredible health coverage, an excellent pension, and makes over $100k because top of scale is $37+ per hour.

I'll gladly pay my dues, and so would many others to get crap like you off our backs and to be able to make a decent living and have a good retirement.

dezguy

You don't see an issue with a law requiring (or banning) union membership?
If the majority of the workforce at a particular place of work vote for a union, then no, I do not have an issue with it. As I said, you know going in whether there is a union representing people. It then becomes your choice whether you want to work there and pay dues or not.

Have you not told people, many times they aren't forced to work at FedEx? Same applies anywhere else.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Or stop paying dues.

Please address the Railway Act of 1934, which never talked about "Express Carriers", because there weren't any. Or the "Express Carrier Exemption" language added to the FAA Reauthorization Act.

The only reason we are under the RLA is that it is a legislative gift to Fred S that allows him to prevent unionizing Express, and giving him free reign to run the company like a dictatorship.

Over the years we have heard so many lies from this company, especially concerning unions. Your dues gain you much more than one would think, which is basically a unified workforce that has negotiating power. By devices like the market level scam, arbitrary work rules and enforcement, and at-will employment without Weingarten Rights, all of the apples are in The Weasel's cart.

I guess that's all OK with you, Mr. Republitard.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The only reason we are under the RLA is that it is a legislative gift to Fred S that allows him to prevent unionizing Express, and giving him free reign to run the company like a dictatorship.
A "Special Deal" for him and his fat cat friends (and to hell with anybody else that helped make Express profitable) achieved by paying off by kiss ass politicians on Capital Hill that didn't mind selling their soul for a special check from Fred.

YOU SUCK SMITH!

59 Dano

One of my best friends works for a private carrier with a contract quite similar to UPS. He pays $60 per month in dues, has incredible health coverage, an excellent pension, and makes over $100k because top of scale is $37+ per hour.

I'll gladly pay my dues, and so would many others to get crap like you off our backs and to be able to make a decent living and have a good retirement.

Take your meds. I think anyone who is happy with his representation should pay them.

59 Dano

If the majority of the workforce at a particular place of work vote for a union, then no, I do not have an issue with it. As I said, you know going in whether there is a union representing people. It then becomes your choice whether you want to work there and pay dues or not.

Have you not told people, many times they aren't forced to work at FedEx? Same applies anywhere else.

Big difference between getting paid a wage and being forced to purchase representation.

59 Dano

Please address the Railway Act of 1934, which never talked about "Express Carriers", because there weren't any. Or the "Express Carrier Exemption" language added to the FAA Reauthorization Act.

Over the years we have heard so many lies from this company, especially concerning unions. Your dues gain you much more than one would think, which is basically a unified workforce that has negotiating power. By devices like the market level scam, arbitrary work rules and enforcement, and at-will employment without Weingarten Rights, all of the apples are in The Weasel's cart.

I guess that's all OK with you, Mr. Republitard.

I'm sorry you're a cowardly little Marxist sympathizer and I'm equally sorry that I don't care enough about your tirade to read it all.

59 Dano

A "Special Deal" for him and his fat cat friends (and to hell with anybody else that helped make Express profitable) achieved by paying off by kiss ass politicians on Capital Hill that didn't mind selling their soul for a special check from Fred.

YOU SUCK SMITH!
91sn32Q.jpg

59 Dano

No one is forced to work at a union job.

Correct but that doesn't change the fact that the problems are an anti-competitive labor law that would be illegal in any other setting (exclusivity) and, in some states, laws that require you to join a union to hold certain jobs.

MAKAVELI

Correct but that doesn't change the fact that the problems are an anti-competitive labor law that would be illegal in any other setting (exclusivity) and, in some states, laws that require you to join a union to hold certain jobs.
Pass RTW laws in every state you'll see the death of all unions.

MassWineGuy

I'd be willing to bet that you would be singing a different tune if you had made the cut at Parcel.

Whatever the reason may have been that they didn't hire me full-time, it wasn't because I didn't work as hard as everyone else or didn't have a positive attitude. Who knows, who cares? I would have liked the contract benefits and money, but UPS is ultimately a sick, condescending and mean culture in which to spend a lifetime. Or even a few precious years.

I don't mean the drivers. They're generally great people (except for the total moronic jerk out of Lynnfield North who had the Amesbury route). I mean the suits in Atlanta who are paid to think up ways of making the lives of the rank and file more miserable.

I would gladly join a union tomorrow as long as it offered everyone full benefits after 60 or 90 days. Strength in numbers, absolutely.