Switching To Feeder Driver Question...

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
its always nice having more tools in the toolbox. talking bout a cdl.

its not physical like pc but you can go to gym and work out the way you want instead of wearing your body out with repetitive motions.

look at it this way. i have never, and i mean never , known a driver regret their decision for going into feeder. unless you are looking forward to hip , knee , and shoulder surgeries 20 years from now if not sooner.

Browntown2014

its always nice having more tools in the toolbox. talking bout a cdl.

its not physical like pc but you can go to gym and work out the way you want instead of wearing your body out with repetitive motions.

look at it this way. i have never, and i mean never , known a driver regret their decision for going into feeder. unless you are looking forward to hip , knee , and shoulder surgeries 20 years from now if not sooner.

But doesn't it suck having to work at night? That's the part that would keep me from going to feeders.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
But doesn't it suck having to work at night? That's the part that would keep me from going to feeders.
depends on your attitude. it is rough if you have children. how many runs do you have in feeder? we have 60 relief feeders and about 120 runs. about a third of the relief drivers work days.

no job is perfect. you make adjustments no matter what you do. pluses and minuses both ways.

if married , an understanding spouse is a necessity. but they sure do like the money. i made about 115k a year. that is not counting the benefits.

35years

Gravy route
I have known 8 drivers who went from package to feeders and back to package. I have also talked to many who went to feeders and have said it is very hard on families, especially with kids at home.

That being said, I also know 20+ who went from package to feeders and who think it is great.

It depends on your home life, your physical condition, your ability to put up with the pressure in package, and the seniority issues locally. Around here (excluding last year's hiring frenzy) you would be looking at 15 years minimum to get into feeders and 30+ years to secure a day run.

Indecisi0n

I have known 8 drivers who went from package to feeders and back to package. I have also talked to many who went to feeders and have said it is very hard on families, especially with kids at home.

That being said, I also know 20+ who went from package to feeders and who think it is great.

It depends on your home life, your physical condition, your ability to put up with the pressure in package, and the seniority issues locally. Around here (excluding last year's hiring frenzy) you would be looking at 15 years minimum to get into feeders and 30+ years to secure a day run.
So the first day you get a day run you can retire.

govols019

You smell that?
We have 2 that say they're gonna be gone at the end of this contract....I'll believe that when I see it. First thing you learn in feeders, don't believe anything another feeder driver says when it comes to retirement or bidding.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
My dad is telling me I should get a CDL, and let UPS train me as a feeder driver but I'm wondering, if you switch to feeder driver do you lose your current pay and start at bottom again or do you keep your same pay from PC? I know you lose your seniority but what about pay?

I like being a PC driver because it keeps me moving, and in shape but maybe after 10yrs I'll bounce over to feeder driver.
UPS trains you so you can get your CDL. No you don't lose your current pay rate. And no you don't lose your seniority. You will however be put at the bottom of the full time feeder list. Go to feeders as soon as possible, if you don't you are stupid.

budlight

hey friend* face
Only if UPS trained you to drive and got license through their school ,, you get on your own ,, no

I got my CDL on my own and was told they own me for 3 years. That was prior to getting a full-time gig as a feeder. I qualified as a part-timer, spot opened up and I got in.