Taken out of service for not knowing safety dribble?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We have had several drivers taken "out of service" for not knowing this tripe. It's always after an accident or injury. They still come in and work four hours on the preload and four hours on the local sort, until they can recite it, then they are back on the road. They get their eight hours, but they are, "out of service." The union doesn't fight this.
By the way, interesting how UPS can afford to pay these Keter folks God knows how many millions every year to stumble around the building asking questions, but they can't afford a BBQ.
Having the BBQ does not reduce the chances of successful lawsuits against UPS.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
why does the safety recital and punishment we take for not knowing the "rules" remind me of this?

[video=youtube;s2rE_voavMo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2rE_voavMo[/video]

Diego

If they would give us a classroom day and let us learn it instead of blurting out stuff in the pcm it might stick in our brain better. Guess we should study at home LOL.
When I was pt I got audited and they said I missed the question, how do you secure a belt. I had been pt for 5 years I knew I did not, but got me extra 30 min watching a training video, that I have seen for 5 years. They have to find something or they are not doing a good job.

ricko52

Happened at my center today,driver was sent home because manager said he didn't know it. Manager said in PCM that this was an OSHA reg. and that we had to know 100% of it or you can't have the keys as he put it. This garbage needs to stop, anyone else having this going on.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Happened at my center today,driver was sent home because manager said he didn't know it. Manager said in PCM that this was an OSHA reg. and that we had to know 100% of it or you can't have the keys as he put it. This garbage needs to stop, anyone else having this going on.

As long as I get my guranteed 8 hrs....I could care less if they want to give me the damn keys or not. I get paid the same either way.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary.

How do you do it? Rattle them off in a monotone voice with your head down, almost like a boredom parrot.

What does it do for you? Absolutely nothing unless you are not already a good driver. Gives you a headache from studying more trite acronyms

Key Phrase: "Be prepared. Expect the useless acronyms"

bigblu 2 you

is this or is it not a {law} or osha requirement? ive talked to fed ex,averitt,and other dot type drivers who have never heard of this dribble.why would our managers lie to us and tell us this is the law,are some laws just for ups.and why would you send a 30 year circle of honor driver home for missing 2 out of 18? feels like gestapo tactics.

Solidarity413

is this or is it not a {law} or osha requirement? ive talked to fed ex,averitt,and other dot type drivers who have never heard of this dribble.why would our managers lie to us and tell us this is the law,are some laws just for ups.and why would you send a 30 year circle of honor driver home for missing 2 out of 18? feels like gestapo tactics.

Just call OSHA and ask. I have OSHA saved in my phone and anytime there is a debate I offer to call for them. For some reason they always so no, and that it's not a big deal anymore. Strange. The one time I called them they weren't to happy :rofl:

It's not a law: this is UPS's attempt to impress OSHA.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I wish they would take me out for that, I would hold out until the next local hearings and pound their a// for back pay, meanwhile I would be having a nice little paid vacation.

bigblu 2 you

I wish they would take me out for that, I would hold out until the next local hearings and pound their a// for back pay, meanwhile I would be having a nice little paid vacation.
just had a driver lose 2 days work for not memorizing/reciting 10 point comm.correctly.he was told he could come back when he got them 100%.also told to study at home.if this is a "job requirement"wouldnt you consider this being asked to work off the clock?anyway he is grieving time lost etc.btw ive asked fed ex,conway,usps,and others and they have yet to have heard of any of this so called {osha-law}safety jargon.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
just had a driver lose 2 days work for not memorizing/reciting 10 point comm.correctly.he was told he could come back when he got them 100%.also told to study at home.if this is a "job requirement"wouldnt you consider this being asked to work off the clock?anyway he is grieving time lost etc.btw ive asked fed ex,conway,usps,and others and they have yet to have heard of any of this so called {osha-law}safety jargon.

I believe UPS can take you out of service but cannot put you out of work. There is a difference.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I believe UPS can take you out of service but cannot put you out of work. There is a difference.

So are you suggesting that the driver be allowed to bump someone off both the preload and metro so that he can get his 8 hours? All because the driver was unable to recite safety dribble? Doesn't seem quite fair, does it? I think taking a driver out of service for not knowing the safety dribble is over the top but I also think that the safety dribble is not that hard to learn and if it meant the difference between working or not I would take the time needed to learn the dribble, but that's just me.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So are you suggesting that the driver be allowed to bump someone off both the preload and metro so that he can get his 8 hours? All because the driver was unable to recite safety dribble? Doesn't seem quite fair, does it? I think taking a driver out of service for not knowing the safety dribble is over the top but I also think that the safety dribble is not that hard to learn and if it meant the difference between working or not I would take the time needed to learn the dribble, but that's just me.

My opinion is that the job is WAD, so therefore UPS can use us however they see fit. Just IMO.

Do I agree with being taken out of service for not spewing the 10s and 5s?
I do because we are supposed to be professional drivers that know more than the average driver. The 10s and 5s are , at least IMO, hardly the best way of learning the knowledge it's imparting, but they do have value.

And like you said, if a driver cannot save their job and learn the information (even if it means nothing to them), then should they be on the road in the first place as a top-paid, professional driver?

Originally I would have sided with the grumpy union type side, but the more I have learned, and applied them, it really isn't a big deal and does have value.

tourists24

The company can take you off the road and out of work if they want to, but the contract doesnt allow it. They are taking a chance of having to give back pay. I disagree with being taken out of service for not being able to sprew it back out. If I am a driver with 20 years safe driving under my belt but cant remember this stuff just right, Id say I dont deserve to be pulled out of service. Around here, if a driver has an accident, they are not allowed back on the road until they get it right.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The company can take you off the road and out of work if they want to, but the contract doesnt allow it. They are taking a chance of having to give back pay. I disagree with being taken out of service for not being able to sprew it back out. If I am a driver with 20 years safe driving under my belt but cant remember this stuff just right, Id say I dont deserve to be pulled out of service. Around here, if a driver has an accident, they are not allowed back on the road until they get it right.

I was not talking about being taken out of "work". The question was being taken out of "service", aka service provider. A driver can legitimately be taken out of service for not being able to spew the 10s and 5s and put back in the building and not be a contract violation, as the job is WAD. That is my understanding anyway.

tourists24

I was not talking about being taken out of "work". The question was being taken out of "service", aka service provider. A driver can legitimately be taken out of service for not being able to spew the 10s and 5s and put back in the building and not be a contract violation, as the job is WAD. That is my understanding anyway.
You are correct. We've had a couple of drivers pulled off the road for this, but they are always put back on before a panel case is heard. If you have a bid route, you can file for not being on your bid, but if they are paying you the correct pay, then you will just have to bide your time til you learn the lingo. Most of our drivers are given time to study "on the clock" and get it right. That is where we have been running into problems. Some drivers are told to study it on our own time and some will not until they are paid.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You are correct. We've had a couple of drivers pulled off the road for this, but they are always put back on before a panel case is heard. If you have a bid route, you can file for not being on your bid, but if they are paying you the correct pay, then you will just have to bide your time til you learn the lingo. Most of our drivers are given time to study "on the clock" and get it right. That is where we have been running into problems. Some drivers are told to study it on our own time and some will not until they are paid.

Yeah that makes sense. The only thing is if the regional supplement doesn't have very strong language about working bid jobs, it might not fly. A driver could be taken out of service and be SOL.

I know recently NE had language that addressed this (infact new in dec 2007)....before that UPS was basically doing whatever they wanted, working casuals over bid drivers, working part-timers in full-timers bids, or even lower seniority FTs in higher seniority bids, etc.

Here, if it's a case by case basis, the union will not help you. At least that is what I have found. But if it is a big problem the union may step in. IMO, the union should enforce the contract in EVERY case just not the ones that mean something to them getting votes at election time. But that is not how it works, and another discussion altogether.