Taken out of service.....

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Not true. One of our drivers scanned his airs for a stop when he got into the office of the consignee. It was 9:15 am.
They asked him to take them to the shop out behind the office building and the shop personnel would sign and receive them. So he loaded them back into his pkg car and delivered them to the rear building and stop completed them at about 9:25 am. Commit time was 10:30 am.

Management had him call in and explain the RDR issue. Then told him to prerecord them before he moved the truck next time.

Common sense has left the building with Elvis.
If he had gotten to this stop at 10:25 and then told to go around back and deliver them, prerecording this air and then delivering around back would show a late air if it took him more than 5 minutes to get around back. Ask this guy to ask he boss what he does in a situation like this. I guarantee you that they will tell him to keep the stop open and not show a late air because he was on the customers premises when they were scanned.

It is not our fault that she asked him to take them around back.

If, as in the original post, it was 9:25 and the guy was at the wrong house when he scanned the air, I guess putting it in prerecord would work instead of voiding it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That's NOT what the "Delivery Scan and Exception Codes" training said that drivers here took in their diads on Oct 23, 2013 and again on July 28, 2014... (Question #3).

Training said that if you have a "known" security check point that will/may delay you at or in a building you may NOT scan airs prior to getting through that security area.

Like BrownTexas posted, the training instructs us to be in front of the absolute delivery area/personnel to scan the air pkgs.

The grievance we settled was over the two conflicting trainings and was for clarification prior to a driver being charged with Dishonesty under Art 17.

Security delay selection can only be used by a driver that didn't know that there was a security checkpoint at that stop prior to getting there. The bid driver is to plan ahead.

But scanning at security checkpoints and driving to the dock/office/building is not allowed and drivers can be disciplined by the company.... they say.
It is different everywhere.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Someone is trying to prove something here and us drivers are the ones being thrown under the bus...if we allow it.

I run straight air stops when I know it's tight and if it's close I inform management that I may not get all my commits made on time (with an hourly witness) before I leave the building and put it on them.
Agreed, but we cannot know in advance how long it might take to get through a security gate. One day could be 2 minutes. The next day could be 20 minutes.

Work as instructed. You're welcome to show late airs. Here, we are at the customers property. It is not our fault they have a security gate. If we are delayed at the gate, we scan airs and wait until we can get in to make the delivery.

oldngray

nowhere special
My center had a customer that would get over 100 NDA's a day and would also ship out a lot so an air driver would deliver their stuff by 9 am (or as soon as possible if after that). Money talks and big accounts get special attention.

10 point

No it's not. But what part of "work as instructed" don't you understand. If UPS tells you to be there at 10:15, you be there at 10:15.
We work as directed. If the airs aren't late there's nothing they can do about it.

They told our driver to be there at 11:45 at one stop. He's been getting there after 11:45 but no airs have been late. They've never said a word...wonder why?

Try to discipline a driver for late deliveries when they're not late. Failure to work as instructed has to have substance behind it.
It is different everywhere.
I'm sure corporate diad training is "different everywhere". Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We work as directed. If the airs aren't late there's nothing they can do about it.

They told our driver to be there at 11:45 at one stop. He's been getting there after 11:45 but no airs have been late. They've never said a word...wonder why?

Try to discipline a driver for late deliveries when they're not late. Failure to work as instructed has to have substance behind it.

I'm sure corporate diad training is "different everywhere". Good luck with that.
If UPS and the shipper, or UPS and the customer has an agreement for a 10:15 delivery and you are instructed to be there at 10:15, and yoh are not...good luck with that.

I don't care what corporate says. I work for my center manager. I work as instructed by him, not corporate. If he wants to overide corporate, more power to him.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

People like you seem to forget that we work for UPS. They make the rules. We are under a collective bargaining agreement that mostly deals with working "conditions."

They have never said anything to that driver, not because they can't, as you say, but because they choose not to.

If UPS instructs you to be at Joe Blows at 10:15 and you are not, you can get a warning letter for failure to follow. Where in the contract is this a contractual violation? The Teamsters cannot tell UPS that the driver does not have to deliver the air until 10:30 when UPS instructs him to be there at 10:15.

Even if it is a contractual violation, you still must work as directed and then grieve it. The only time you do not have to work as directed is if it immoral, unsafe or illegal. If you are not there by 10:15 and you get a warning letter, don't expect the Teamsters to bail you out. No contractual violation.

UPS makes the rules. If a new rule it is not a contract violation, you must obey the rule or suffer the consequences.

Integrity

Binge Poster
People like you seem to forget that we work for UPS. They make the rules. We are under a collective bargaining agreement that mostly deals with working "conditions."

They have never said anything to that driver, not because they can't, as you say, but because they choose not to.

If UPS instructs you to be at Joe Blows at 10:15 and you are not, you can get a warning letter for failure to follow. Where in the contract is this a contractual violation? The Teamsters cannot tell UPS that the driver does not have to deliver the air until 10:30 when UPS instructs him to be there at 10:15.

Even if it is a contractual violation, you still must work as directed and then grieve it. The only time you do not have to work as directed is if it immoral, unsafe or illegal. If you are not there by 10:15 and you get a warning letter, don't expect the Teamsters to bail you out. No contractual violation.

UPS makes the rules. If a new rule it is not a contract violation, you must obey the rule or suffer the consequences.
Mugarolla,

It is true UPS makes the work rules and sets policy. Not your supervisor, your manager, or even your Division manager.

In large corporations work rules and policy must be followed by all employees, hourly and management.

No one person is above policy in a company.

Sincerely,
I

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Fifteen minutes less of delivery time for NDA is very substantial. Hopefully, management takes the burden off the driver/drivers affected by taking some of the other air stops off the load.

O

OLDMAN3

Mostly, but not always true. For example, in the Central Region you can refuse to go back out after returning to the building after completing 8 hours of work. They can not discipline you for this, even if they pull the "work as directed" line.

UPS has given Center managers and sups authority to solve problems in their work area. If your manager or sup instructs you to be at a certain location at a certain time to avoid a late Air situation, what is the policy violation?

Mostly, but not always true. For example, in the Central Region you can refuse to go back out after returning to the building after completing 8 hours of work. They can not discipline you for this, even if they pull the "work as directed" line.
And what does that have to do with late air in the AM?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Unfortunately this is not so. You must work as instructed , they instruct you to go back out , let them know you do not want the extra work and per contract, you are not required to do so,if they insist, then file a grievance. This is the way it is in central. I don't like it. You will win the grievance , but I have seen people terminated on the spot for failure to follow by telling them no when they instruct you.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Unfortunately this is not so. You must work as instructed , they instruct you to go back out , let them know you do not want the extra work and per contract, you are not required to do so,if they insist, then file a grievance. This is the way it is in central. I don't like it. You will win the grievance , but I have seen people terminated on the spot for failure to follow by telling them no when they instruct you.
This is absolutely not the case.
The language says you cannot be disciplined, so how can it be interpreted any other way?
What it comes down to is, are you going to call their bluff.
I would relish the opportunity to test the company's fortitude on this issue, and yes, I am in the Central Region.
If this is how you think it works, I'm guessing they run over you on your 8 hr requests as well?

If you work as instructed, grieve and win, what do really win?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yes, I know. There are 1 or 2 exceptions to the work as directed. This is one of them. Contract specifically says a driver cannot be disciplined...

UPSGUY72

It's amazing how stupid people are these days. Come on it's pretty easy to explain late Air you ( traffic, to much, even they wouldn't sign for it out front so I had to drive around back, Etc) It's only late air it's not the end of the world.

There isn't a explanation to why you falsified something in order to make things look right.

We make $33 + hr and we deliver card board this job doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. Do things like your suppose to.

We had a 20 Year drive in my area do the same thing a couple of years ago and he got fired he eventually got his job back but a couple of weeks later he finally say figure out it was time to retire from UPS and move on. Last time I new he was a Fed Ex freight driver.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
UPS has given Center managers and sups authority to solve problems in their work area. If your manager or sup instructs you to be at a certain location at a certain time to avoid a late Air situation, what is the policy violation?
That's what I asked 10 point. I'll answer it for him. There isn't one. You have to work as directed or you could suffer "disciplinary action up to and including discharge."

10 point

"Its different in different places". You must be management.

We deliver ssi and commits on time. The rest is driver discretion. Always has been and you don't have a clue but you want to think you do. And your brother usny.

Rant on. It doesn't change the facts.