Taken out of service.....

O

OLDMAN3

Unfortunately this is not so. You must work as instructed , they instruct you to go back out , let them know you do not want the extra work and per contract, you are not required to do so,if they insist, then file a grievance. This is the way it is in central. I don't like it. You will win the grievance , but I have seen people terminated on the spot for failure to follow by telling them no when they instruct you.
You are not a slave. I have refused to go back out several times and NO discipline resulted, and none could. There is no way someone in the Central would have been terminated over this. The way you portray it is NOT the way it is in the Central.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

OLDMAN3

Yes, I know. There are 1 or 2 exceptions to the work as directed. This is one of them. Contract specifically says a driver cannot be disciplined...
Not true, there are countless "exceptions". Off the top of my head for the Central...Forcing to go back out, bringing back missed stops to make your 8 hour, forcing you to come in before your scheduled start, forcing you to work a Holiday if others with less seniority are off, etc. etc etc.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
"Its different in different places". You must be management.

We deliver ssi and commits on time. The rest is driver discretion. Always has been and you don't have a clue but you want to think you do. And your brother usny.

Rant on. It doesn't change the facts.
Yes, the rest is usually driver discretion. And 99% of the time it is. The post I responded to was a driver being told to be at this business at 10:15. I don't care what reason UPS wants you there at 10:15. The union can't do a damn thing about it. You be there at 10:15.

Thought about management 30 years ago. Decided against it. Steward for 25 years. The difference is that I don't sugar coat it like some other people do.

If we had a new driver on the board here and he listened to you about not being at a customers location when UPS told him to be there, he will not last very long.

If you want to disobey a direct management order, you go right ahead but do not tell others to be so stupid.

You can backread all my posts. The only thing I do is tell it like it is. Some people don't like it. I just put the facts out there. But I am not going to get a driver fired by telling him to disobey a directive by not getting to a customer at the time management tells you to be there.

It IS a contractual violation if you refuse to be there at that time.

It is NOT a contractual violation for management to tell you to be there a 10:15.

As a Steward, this is what I would tell this driver.

10 point

Not true, there are countless "exceptions". Off the top of my head for the Central...Forcing to go back out, bringing back missed stops to make your 8 hour, forcing you to come in before your scheduled start, forcing you to work a Holiday if others with less seniority are off, etc. etc etc.
Please don't confuse mug with facts. He and upstart's world collapses when challenged.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes, the rest is usually driver discretion. And 99% of the time it is. The post I responded to was a driver being told to be at this business at 10:15. I don't care what reason UPS wants you there at 10:15. The union can't do a damn thing about it. You be there at 10:15.

Thought about management 30 years ago. Decided against it. Steward for 25 years. The difference is that I don't sugar coat it like some other people do.

If we had a new driver on the board here and he listened to you about not being at a customers location when UPS told him to be there, he will not last very long.

If you want to disobey a direct management order, you go right ahead but do not tell others to be so stupid.

You can backread all my posts. The only thing I do is tell it like it is. Some people don't like it. I just put the facts out there. But I am not going to get a driver fired by telling him to disobey a directive by not getting to a customer at the time management tells you to be there.

It IS a contractual violation if you refuse to be there at that time.

It is NOT a contractual violation for management to tell you to be there a 10:15.

As a Steward, this is what I would tell this driver.

I have to agree, but would add, I would make them see why this isn't a good idea.
In the long run, management would yield to my discretion.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
How can they "force" you to come in before your start time? No sir... I will be there at my scheduled start time.

How can they "force" you to work a holiday? Just call in an hour before your start time. If they give you an attendance occurrence, there better have not been any junior employee off that day. If there was, I could get that occurrence wiped off your record.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How can they "force" you to come in before your start time? No sir... I will be there at my scheduled start time.

How can they "force" you to work a holiday? Just call in an hour before your start time. If they give you an attendance occurrence, there better have not been any junior employee off that day. If there was, I could get that occurrence wiped off your record.
How can they "force" you to go back out after you completed your days work in the Central Region?

10 point

I'm just a lowly Steward that tries to keep employees from being disciplined because they listened to people like you.
Well lowly steward, we've challenged that over the years and it comes back to bite management so they don't press it here.

Evidently you and your management team have an understanding about your stewardship.

RDR is a rule subject to corporate discretion MASKED by your Buddy center manager.

It's different everywhere? Really different in your barn.

They don't try stupid crap like you propose where they know it's fruitless. Most everywhere else its a non issue. Maybe you need babysat. Our drivers don't.

O

OLDMAN3

Exactly.
These have all been real life examples of things management has in the past "ordered" drivers to do. And they can't force you to go back out period.

Last edited by a moderator:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I supposedly had an air, for a certain addy, I could not find it. After tripping over a bar of steel like 5 times, I looked at the addy. It had a ground label, and an addy correction, no markings, service area was an 84. But it was the addy I was looking for. So I scanned both like I had two pkgs for the same addy, but apparently one was air. I messaged and sent a pic to the center manager. I got nothing. I said, what do I void, what is this, is this an air delivery. So another documented instance, but it was not important enough to respond to.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I get your point. There are more than a couple of exceptions. But we were talking about management telling a driver to be at a business at 10:15 and 10 point stating that the air is not guaranteed until 10:30 so he does not care what management says, he does not have to be there until 10:30. There is nothing in the contract to cover his :censored2: in this scenario.

By the way, your exception listed about not starting before your start time is not an exception in the Central.

Article 12
Section 2

Any employee may be required to report to work before his/her regular starting time and in such event, he/she shall be paid at the rate of one and one-half (1 1/2) times his/her regular straight-time hourly rate for all hours worked before his/her regular starting time in addition to the employee’s regular guarantee.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Please don't confuse mug with facts. He and upstart's world collapses when challenged.
I am still waiting for your answer as to the article.and section number in the contract giving you the right to not get to a business when management tells you just because the airs aren't until 10:30.

I'm waiting. Dispute my facts.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Well lowly steward, we've challenged that over the years and it comes back to bite management so they don't press it here.

Evidently you and your management team have an understanding about your stewardship.

RDR is a rule subject to corporate discretion MASKED by your Buddy center manager.

It's different everywhere? Really different in your barn.

They don't try stupid crap like you propose where they know it's fruitless. Most everywhere else its a non issue. Maybe you need babysat. Our drivers don't.
Nope. It is due to the fact that I hold management to the contract. No shennanigans here. So they try and "find" things to retaliate. This is usually the sign of a very strong local. Management probably lets you get away with things because you give in on everything else.

O

OLDMAN3

I supposedly had an air, for a certain addy, I could not find it. After tripping over a bar of steel like 5 times, I looked at the addy. It had a ground label, and an addy correction, no markings, service area was an 84. But it was the addy I was looking for. So I scanned both like I had two pkgs for the same addy, but apparently one was air. I messaged and sent a pic to the center manager. I got nothing. I said, what do I void, what is this, is this an air delivery. So another documented instance, but it was not important enough to respond to.
Good idea taking the pic.
Years ago I had a center manager after my job, who was later fired.
I had 2 instances of a ground package (03) service level that scanned as a NDA, and I got the prompt asking why it was late.
Never showed up in my 1030 commit list, and never any alert saying it needed to be delivered soon.
Rechecked the 1Z visually many times, and the service level was 03 (ground) on the label, but would scan 01 (NDA)
I pulled the 1Z tags as proof and texted in. They never responded. Shady, very shady. CYA