Taking credit for two stops; NDA and ground.

ups1990

Does anyone here take credit for two stops for one delivery point. You give the customer their NDA along with the ground and pre-record both and sheet as Left At for both.
In our center, management seems to be ok with this practice. Drivers think that either way, they will get two stops out it eventually. If and when managers come down on drivers for the practice, they'll make two attempts one for NDA then later for ground. I've never heard of a driver getting in trouble for doing this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does anyone here take credit for two stops for one delivery point. You give the customer their NDA along with the ground and pre-record both and sheet as Left At for both.
In our center, management seems to be ok with this practice. Drivers think that either way, they will get two stops out it eventually. If and when managers come down on drivers for the practice, they'll make two attempts one for NDA then later for ground. I've never heard of a driver getting in trouble for doing this.

You are padding stops, pure and simple. If you are able to deliver both the NDA and the ground together it is one stop--if you are unable to, deliver the NDA and then go back for the ground and, yes, that would be two stops.

metrophillyslub

yea, agree with upstate! if you go back with grounds later then its 2 stops... if you give em everything its 1.. dont give em a reason. especially this time of year when they are looking for stuff to nab you on!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

We had a driver fired for that very thing, dishonesty. I would not recomend it. He eventualy got hiis job back as all time served as a suspension, but was out for a bit with no pay and benefits. It is padding stops, there is no reason for it as you get paid by the hour!!!

DS

Fenderbender
What if you have 2 pkgs for the same company that has 2 different addresses,but only accept deliveries at one?
Example 413 and 419 main st.I was told years ago to sheet the actual address on the pkg and LA if its delivered to another location.Is this padding stops as well?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What if you have 2 pkgs for the same company that has 2 different addresses,but only accept deliveries at one?
Example 413 nd

I have a company called Plattco which comes through as both 7 and 18 White with deliveries made to 18 White St. I prerecord both as addressed and do a multiple left at with 18 White as left at address.

BROWN430

Big time no no. It's called padding your stops. If your have to get ground off later then that is 2 stops. What do you do if you cant find a package but later on the day you find it? Is that a second stop when you go back to deliver it? Heard diff things on this also.

UPSBluRdg03

If I have NDA + others at a buisness I always find the others while delivering the air. I just dont like coming back to a buisness later and saying heres some more for ya. Now there are times I have NDA+ others at a house stop and the truck is so full I dont want to sit there and dig threw the back of the truck to find the others when I know I will be back in the neighborhood or area later in the when I do the rest of the house stops. Also there are times when the same stop will be in the board twice. Ex. I have a shopping center that is called Westgate but it is on Blue Ridge Ave. Everyday at least one of the stops will be in there twice as say 560 Blue Ridge and 560 Westgate. Somedays I " Address donesnt match do you want to add?" Enter YES, others I make 2 stops out of it just depends on how I feel. Either way never heard of catching any heat from managment.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If it is shortly thereafter and it was my error I will sheet as duplicate stop.

If it is hours later and my preloader screwed up I will sheet as a separate stop.

over9five

Staff member
I have a company called Plattco which comes through as both 7 and 18 White with deliveries made to 18 White St. I prerecord both as addressed and do a multiple left at with 18 White as left at address.

If you never actually go to #7, I'd assume you'd make it a dup?

UPSBluRdg03

Yep agree with others if you are recording air and ground as 2 stops but while at the same stop that is padding and grounds for discipline.

bad company

semi-pro
According to the UPS Industrial Engineering Standard Practice Manual on Service Provider Delivery and Pickup Methods:

Returning to an address to deliver Ground packages, where only Air was delivered earlier, is recorded as a stop.
o Having Air and Ground for a consignee does not mean that service providers should count an additional stop by recording twice and getting two signatures.
o In the Dispatch Plan, every attempt is made to have ALL packages delivered in trace. The service provider must make the final decision when to break off from delivering both Air and Ground packages for the same stop, and deliver only the Air packages to meet time commitments.

bad company

semi-pro
This method was obviously written before we began using DIADs, as it does not discuss prerecording, but the principle still holds.

Left at - after a valid delivery attempt where the original consignee was not in, an InfoNotice was used, and the package was left with a neighbor, a neighboring business or apartment, or the apartment manager, record as a stop.
o Packages left with someone, other than the original consignee, needs to be designated as left at.
All left at stops require a signature. Whenever you leave a package with anyone other than the original consignee, make sure to leave a UPS InfoNotice at the original receiver’s location.

Packages for Multiple Consignees left at Central Receiving/Mail Room and recorded as One Stop
- When individual delivery attempts are NOT made, InfoNotices are not used, and when packages are Left At one place - a Designated Package Room (mailrooms, apartment leasing office, apartment manager’s office etc.) must be recorded as one stop.
- When there is also a delivery package for the leasing office or the apartment complex or manager (where packages for multiple consignees are being left at) this delivery is recorded as part of the stop and no additional stop credit should be taken.

Designated Package Room Definition - A mailroom or package room or office set aside in a residential or institutional type building which
• has an attendant to receive packages for the building’s occupants or
• handles all the receiving for multiple locations around the city or
• where a receiver has multiple buildings with one address - campus style, military base style where
individual building numbers are indicated.)

We had a driver fired for that very thing, dishonesty. I would not recomend it. He eventualy got hiis job back as all time served as a suspension, but was out for a bit with no pay and benefits. It is padding stops, there is no reason for it as you get paid by the hour!!!

Sad to think he got his job back.