Taking the road test

arenc8161

I've been working as a pre loader for a year in May and I was just told there's a class coming up in a week or two and they want me coming in on Saturday morning to give me the road test. I'm very excited about the opportunity and hope it works out. Just to clarify, I have driven the trucks before with the supervisor, Just to get a feel for it. I I'm confident I can drive the truck, and shifting is no problem, However, some of the old trucks can be a little tricky shifting first to second. The supervisor told me it's OK to start in second and move from there.. But it'll depend on who's testing me if they'll allow that. What's your opinion on this?
Beyond that, any tips on what they look for??.. Obviously check my mirrors every few seconds, Stay in the lane, don't hit anything... Any input is good, thanks.

P

pickup

Take a look at the five seeing habits and the 10 points of the depth of knowledge(they should be hanging around where the drivers congregate in the morning). The advice contained within them have some of the things that the guy doing your road test is looking for.

Make sure your energy level is high and you are alert and calm when doing your test. So no drinking or whoring the night before . Get plenty of rest.

P

pickup

Well this guy got a head start over a lot of others, he knows how to drive a manual transmission.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Before you even get into the PC , do a slow walk around the vehicle . Look at the tires , look under it for anything leaking , point out any scratches to your tester , inspect to make sure that all the lights are functioning properly , secure the back door ( use the chain ) , look in the back of the PC for loose objects , close the bulkhead door .
Sit in the drivers seat , adjust it to your liking along with both mirrors .
Take your time .
If the test requires you to park on a hill , when you start to go forward keep your parking brake on until you are sure that you have forward motion . Avoid any movement backwards .
Always use your signal lights and horn , the goal is for other drivers to know that you are there . Yes , you are driving a big brown truck , but many other drivers are just plain dumb . You have to be better than them . Obey all traffic signals , even if the streets are empty . Leave yourself two cars lengths from any traffic in front of you , especially at stop lights and signs .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Learn to see past the vehicle directly in front of you .
You want to see farther down the road , see what other drivers are or might do . And be prepared to take the action that is best for you.

arenc8161

Lol. I picked up a few tricks from the driver that I helped over peak season. Thanks for all the advice fellow UPSers, I really appreciate it.

Box Ox

Watch your tail swing. Won't matter how well you drive if you whack something turning a corner because you're not used to all that butt in the back. #1 thing in my mind that practice beforehand doesn't really get you ready for.