Taking the road test

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I remember on my road test I stalled four times at the first stop sign...the on road sup who was with me was also my preload sup for two years so I think he wanted me to pass so he could screw me for another 25 years...he switched seats and then stalled six times...we switched trucks after that...anyway sorry...go 5 miles under the speed limit...oh yea and don't crash that would be good...good luck dude you'll be fine

Savvy412

That's exactly what happened to me ^^

He was my sup and was the one who said. Dude. Get out the warehouse. (Because I had a baby on the way ) so he wanted me to pass .

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The first gear is usually geared too low unless the package car is loaded down with weight or starting off going up a grade. On a driving test that shouldn't be a problem. I took a new driver out on his second day in a P-1000 one time, he was new to manual transmissions. I told him right off the bat to stay out of first gear and start off in second. He had one bulk stop in the morning and did residentials the rest of the day. When I first started driving, we had some old junkers where it was better to double-clutch in the lower gears.

Good luck on your road test arenc8161.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Okay, so the copy I got has someone's info on it so I'm not going to post it. But I can give you the 25 points we grade you on.
1.Starting engine-6
2.Starting vehicle-10
3.Gear shifting (smooth shifts, grinding is a demerit.)-10
4.Clutch-10
5.Use of horn-10
6.Steering-10
7.Slow and Other warning signs-6
8.Stop signs-10
9.Traffic Lights-10
10.Intersection and Crosswalks-20
11.Right-Of-Way-20
12.Lane Observance-20
13.Change Lane-10
14.Speed Controls-20
15.Following-20
16.Right Turns-10
17.Left Turns-10
18.Parallel Parking-10
19.Parking on a hill-20
20.Backing-20
21.Use of Brakes-6
22.Use of mirrors-10
23.Alertness-20
24.Familiarity with rules-10
25.Defensive Driving-10

Each number corresponds to a demerit count. 125 or above is a failure.

When I'm administering the road test this is what I'm looking for. You can demonstrate you can safely and comfortably operate the vehicle(goes with 23), use of mirrors, speed limit, smooth stops and turns, and you're not grinding the crap out of the gears. If you're green, it happens. Don't freak out about it. Same goes for any time you think you made a mistake. Unless I straight up say you failed, keep going, shake it off. Unless you're messing up the big things, you have quite a bit I can ding you for before you fail.

Best of luck.

Edit:Forgot to add, a common thing we see on the road test is people not using two hands on the wheel. Make sure you are using two hands at all times.

Last edited:

What'dyabringmetoday???

Okay, so the copy I got has someone's info on it so I'm not going to post it. But I can give you the 25 points we grade you on.
1.Starting engine-6
2.Starting vehicle-10
4.Clutch-10
5.Use of horn-10
6.Steering-10
8.Stop signs-10
9.Traffic Lights-10
11.Right-Of-Way-20
12.Lane Observance-20
13.Change Lane-10
14.Speed Controls-20
15.Following-20
16.Right Turns-10
17.Left Turns-10
18.Parallel Parking-10
19.Parking on a hill-20
20.Backing-20
21.Use of Brakes-6
22.Use of mirrors-10
23.Alertness-20
25.Defensive Driving-10

When I'm administering the road test this is what I'm looking for. You can demonstrate you can safely and comfortably operate the vehicle(goes with 23), use of mirrors, speed limit, smooth stops and turns, and you're not grinding the crap out of the gears. If you're green, it happens. Don't freak out about it. Same goes for any time you think you made a mistake. Unless I straight up say you failed, keep going, shake it off. Unless you're messing up the big things, you have quite a bit I can ding you for before you fail.

Best of luck.

Edit:Forgot to add, a common thing we see on the road test is people not using two hands on the wheel. Make sure you are using two hands at all times.
You make me laugh. Thank you.

oldngray

nowhere special
Thanks bubbles! I'm just about to go in and do this. Take care everyone.
you can do it.gif

Savvy412

Your ok man. At the end of the day

If you know your dok and don't crash your good.

StartingNOW. Memorize your doks. I studied and studied allll day . Brought my flash cards everywhere . So when you start school, you know it all .Then it's a breeze .

MendozaJ

Adjust your seat, then adjust your mirrors, then put your seat belt on. Start vehicle when instructed, and only when his seat belt is on. Don't coast. Keep the car in gear until you come to a full stop. E-brake at stop lights. Use horn annoyingly. As far as starting in 2nd, I was instructed otherwise. Study the DOK. But really, when it comes down to it, the scoring is entirely arbitrary and they will qualify those who do horribly because they want them to qualify.

P

pickup

Your ok man. At the end of the day

If you know your dok and don't crash your good.

StartingNOW. Memorize your doks. I studied and studied allll day . Brought my flash cards everywhere . So when you start school, you know it all .Then it's a breeze .

He has a good point.

Box Ox

That's definitely my number one concern.

Just take it as slow as you need to around corners and watch your mirrors to get a feel for how much room you need to give the back of the PC. Once you get used to it you'll be able to jump out of a 500 and into a 1200 and not even think about it. As a new driver management will probably appreciate your being careful. You'll know they've decided you're a safe driver when they start talking about your actual numbers.

And Mendoza is right. If management likes you and/or thinks you could be a great driver, they'll give you every chance they can unless you really screw up. They'd rather have somebody with a strong worth ethic who will almost certainly get better than lazy Ted who they might get stuck with for years and years if you don't pass.

clean hairy

1.Starting engine-6
2.Starting vehicle-10
4.Clutch-10
5.Use of horn-10
6.Steering-10
8.Stop signs-10
9.Traffic Lights-10
11.Right-Of-Way-20
12.Lane Observance-20
13.Change Lane-10
14.Speed Controls-20
15.Following-20
16.Right Turns-10
17.Left Turns-10
18.Parallel Parking-10
19.Parking on a hill-20
20.Backing-20
21.Use of Brakes-6
22.Use of mirrors-10
23.Alertness-20
25.Defensive Driving-10

Best of luck.

Which means you have to shift gears by using one of your feet! LOL!