Talked to a Fed Ex driver

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If you are a driver,and have some concerns for a customer,you can realy the info to your sales rep,and they (usually) will go and see the customer to help them overcome whatever problem they may be having. From what I see at UPS,the sales people are not required to 'hold the customer's hand",and try and solve some of the problems they may have. Case in point, I had a complaint about a local cusotmer,they were having billing issues. I relayed the info to my local sales rep,who then emailed someone in accounting,who point blankly said, "they are in arrears,if they can't keep their payments up to catch up,we will not deal with them,and are sending them to collections". The customer WANTS to use UPS,but can't,becuz they are a small company and don't have alot of cash flow. they had workied out some sort of repayment plan with the former UPS collection person,but that person quit,and a new collections person took over,who then changed the payment plan,and was not willing to budge,at all. The collection person agreed this was account that was worth a potential $30K a year for the company,but would not deviate from his payment plan,and therefore,would not help this small company grow and expand,and grow some more,etc.
Anyways,maybe in the States,where UPS air and ground drivers are each handling only air and/or ground freight
I agree that we could do a better job with customers. In the U.S. we handle both, except for a few drivers that strictly handle Air, due to volume.

FedEX 4 Life

You know what I really liked about Fedex diads ?
It's almost impossible to misdeliver a package.
It's encoded to go to the correct adress.

i.E. : Have 128 packages going to Walmart, but 1 of them is for a different Walmart location, or a differnt customer alltogether.
Thier diad will make a loud beeping noise, that this package doesn't belong there, and it won't scan it.

And they do have strict policies. It's a non pick-up if a waybill isn't signed.
Or, you'll need to find someone to sign it.
Most cases not a big issue, but drop offs at UPS stores, or other drop offs would be a concerne.

But, getting the diad to Fedex standard, would be getting part of the dinosaur away.
Ive always thought it was the reverse,that the DIAD was superior to the Powerpad/Im not really sure what you are talking aobut misdelivering a package at Fedex as its easy to do,and happens all the time.Doesnt the DIad tell drivers thier next stop?Powerpad does not.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's interesting how many FedEx "experts" have popped-up recently on this thread. If one were to believe them, everyone at FedEx is a happy camper and loves their job. Oh yeah, that Fred S is a great guy we should all admire too.

There are so many factual errors here that I'm not even going to try to address them, but please remember why these folks are here and what they are trying to accomplish.

FedEx4Life still won't answer my questions. 1. Why do you post on other sites with the same message (misinformation) and username, and why won't you admit to doing so?

2. Why do you post "facts" (misinformation) that aren't true about FedEx, it's benefits, and the general attitude of the workforce? I can list about a dozen, starting with "free" flights and personal jumpseat, neither of which exist. Should I embarass you with the rest?

3. I'm still waiting for you to show all of us the PM's I "sent you". trying to be your "buddy". Post them today, OK? Good luck with that.

FedEx4Life has an agenda, which is to blur the lines of the RLA controversy. FedEx doesn't want UPS drivers supporting FedEx drivers, and if FedEx4Life can make it sound like most of us don't want a union, perhaps the package car driver won't decide to fill the FedEx driver in on what a sweet deal Brown people have in comparison to ours. That makes one less informed FedEx person who may not realize just how badly Smith is screwing them.

And Smith. The cut he took was a drop in the bucket because the 20% came off his salary, which is a token amount for him. Anyone with a brain knows he makes his real money off his stock options and other perks, not his pay. Fred's real income last year was over 30 times his FedEx salary, and that doesn't include outside investments. Bottom line... a token gesture on Fred's part to show that he's sharing the pain too.

klein

Für Meno :)
Ive always thought it was the reverse,that the DIAD was superior to the Powerpad/Im not really sure what you are talking aobut misdelivering a package at Fedex as its easy to do,and happens all the time.Doesnt the DIad tell drivers thier next stop?Powerpad does not.

no, we enter every address we deliver to.
Except for regular and oncall pick ups.

Maybe, I missunderstood, my fedex girl. I thought your addresses are embedded with your tracking numbers and sticker-labels placed at customers.
As you know, we don't have sticker-lables at our customers.

tracker2762

If your your using EDD you do not enter the address,It comes up when you scan package when you are delivering it. If you are at the wrong address an alert will come up. There is where you decide if you want to accept this package at that address. In my area customers use two different towns for the same address. EDD places them at the same location in EDD.

If you scan a package and you are the wrong address the GPS will sound a warning. Sometimes the GPS alert goes off even though you at the correct address. In that case you double check the address. I would think one reason a package could be misdelivered is if you weren't paying attention to these alerts.

FedEX 4 Life

Maybe, I missunderstood, my fedex girl. I thought your addresses are embedded with your tracking numbers and sticker-labels placed at customers.
As you know, we don't have sticker-lables at our customers.
Nah,the Powerpad doesnt know the address from scaning the barcode either.We have to manually enter it as well.I believe that UPS is ahead in many ares where Fedex needs to catch up.I saw a docmentary on National Geographic on the UPS operation and it was pretty impressive with all the many lasers on the belts that scan and measure all the packages.
I think the Fedex is kind of copying this now in Memphis.

FedEX 4 Life

If your your using EDD you do not enter the address,It comes up when you scan package when you are delivering it. If you are at the wrong address an alert will come up. There is where you decide if you want to accept this package at that address. In my area customers use two different towns for the same address. EDD places them at the same location in EDD.

If you scan a package and you are the wrong address the GPS will sound a warning. Sometimes the GPS alert goes off even though you at the correct address. In that case you double check the address. I would think one reason a package could be misdelivered is if you weren't paying attention to these alerts.
Wow,we dont have anything like that here at Fedex.If i scan a package,i can put any address i want to and it wouldnt matter.

H_E_Pennypacker

Large Member
I spoke with a senior Fedex package car driver last week. He does not want the union. And he said it would be a monopoly if UPS and FedEx were all Teamsters. He said it wouldn't be legal. So his reasons were a little different.

I'm not sure how this senior Fedex package car driver can call that a monopoly. Tons of competing companies have their employees represented by the same union. Look at the airlines, automobile manufaturers, etc.

If FedEx employees don't want to be in a union they have nothing to worry about; if the legislation passes, they can simply vote no. I think some people are so caught up in the issue that they forget what this legislation will do. It would simply allow the Teamsters to try to organize FedEx. And it would happen at the local level if it happened at all. So maybe FedEx in Chicago, NY, and Boston organize... but the rest of the country stays the same. If FedEx is confident that it pays and treats it employees fairly; they have absolutely nothing to worry about!

FedEX 4 Life

And it would happen at the local level if it happened at all. So maybe FedEx in Chicago, NY, and Boston organize... but the rest of the country stays the same
Who knows,im sure service could be disrupted.Maybe not long term,but in this business short term could make many customers switch to UPS permanently.

FedEx courier

Who knows,im sure service could be disrupted.Maybe not long term,but in this business short term could make many customers switch to UPS permanently.

So tired about Fedex crying about "service disruptions"! That is something every other delivery company has to deal with. The real problem is that Fedex isn't used to anyone being able to stand up to them. So I guess the answer is to keep your people happy and treat them fairly and you won't have service disruptions.:funny: