TeamCare upgraded

Inthegame

Just to be clear. When UPS and the IBT negotiated the TA they had to spell out how much UPS is going to pay into Teamcare. So are the new changes being funded by more money from UPS? Or are the changes being made by the IBT with no additional money being negotiated? Is it a fixed amount? Does the amount go up?
UPS contributions are unchanged from the initial TA. The Trustees of CS (TeamCare) have followed the direction of the GST and the National Committee and determined these additional enhancemennts were doable. The contributions UPS pays goes up proportionately each year to cover anticipated rising costs, exactly as the contribution rises for existing Teamster plans. You will receive an explanation of TeamCare benefits via a DVD sent to your house.

kingOFchester

The Trustees of CS (TeamCare) have followed the direction of the GST and the National Committee and determined these additional enhancemennts were doable. .

And this is what scares me. The changes will cost millions more a year. Why is it "doable" now, but wasn't "doable" earlier. Hoffa stated, BEFORE the enhancements that Union healthcare plans were "Unsustainable".

Worried.

cynic

As President Reagan said, "Trust, but verify."

It's all propaganda until we see it in action. The question is how much trust has IBT lost with their lack of communication and publishing health care information before a second vote. It's clear the agenda is to wear down resistance in those local still voting no.

Inthegame

And this is what scares me. The changes will cost millions more a year. Why is it "doable" now, but wasn't "doable" earlier. Hoffa stated, BEFORE the enhancements that Union healthcare plans were "Unsustainable".

Worried.
The IBT negotiators went to the TeamCare Trustees and said "sharpen your pencils". They did and with the infusion of this size group they determined adjustments could be made. The initial plan really did happen faster than most understand. But you're convinced this was some long thought out scheme so whatever anyone tells you now, you'll question. If you were offered the identical plan from UPS you'd be untrusting. So you'll vote no. Make sure you tell all your friends and neighbors, who would walk over crushed glass for this deal, that you rejected it because of some unfounded conspiracy theory.
You ask for info, the IBT gives you info. You ask for improved HC, you get it. This deal is fantastic, and BETTER that other Union run HC plans and yet the questions and criticisms continue...unbelievable. UPS Management would love to have this negotiated plan.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Some things to take note of before you get all excited.

First, injectable maintenance drugs or maintenance drugs still contain some questions. This is what Teamcare says about them:

Maintenance Medication Requirement For maintenance medications, you have the choice of either using a CVS Pharmacy or CVS Caremark Mail Service. After the 2nd fill of a maintenance medication at a retail pharmacy, your co-payment will increase to 50% of the cost of the medication.

Insulin is very expensive and I know many drivers who's wives or children are diabetic and need this medication weekly. It can cost 1000.00 a week for a set of shots, and if true, 50% of that cost would be 500 dollars a week for the member.

I put in a request for further clarification on this subject and I will post it when Teamcare responds to my questions.

Second, All this looks great, and all credit goes to all the brothers and sisters who had the courage to vote NO and force the IBT, the Company and the locals into going back to the drawing board and reworking the plan.

HOWEVER, While this sounds good so far, there is a little something in the background that is troubling.

In the MOU, it still says "nothing in this agreement shall preclude the Central States Health and Welfare ( teamcare) from changing employee benefit levels".

So, while if presented to us, it looks good on paper, but a year from now, they could UNDO it in a snap by the trustees simply voting to reduce benefits and increasing costs to us.

That ONE sentence needs to be removed from the MOU if we are to maintain these benefit levels without change over 5 years.

Again, congrats to all that voted NO and making this happen. The IBT had NO INTENTION of upgrading Teamcare to these levels in the T.A. and the "carve out" also had NO INTENTION of creating these benefit levels.

It was the likelyhood of another NO VOTE and possibly a third NO VOTE that has forced the IBT to use all the redirected Allocation of monies towards benefits levels that equaled what "WE" in the West and local 177 had in the first place.

This has nothing to do with the IBT being good negotiators and moreover, I am sure they are not happy with having to concede to these terms.

Peace

TOS

kingOFchester

The IBT negotiators went to the TeamCare Trustees and said "sharpen your pencils". They did and with the infusion of this size group they determined adjustments could be made. The initial plan really did happen faster than most understand. But you're convinced this was some long thought out scheme so whatever anyone tells you now, you'll question. If you were offered the identical plan from UPS you'd be untrusting. So you'll vote no. Make sure you tell all your friends and neighbors, who would walk over crushed glass for this deal, that you rejected it because of some unfounded conspiracy theory.
You ask for info, the IBT gives you info. You ask for improved HC, you get it. This deal is fantastic, and BETTER that other Union run HC plans and yet the questions and criticisms continue...unbelievable. UPS Management would love to have this negotiated plan.

Pull on your reigns there cowboy. Did I say I plan on continuing to vote no?

I am sorry that you have a problem with me questioning contracts that directly affect my family. I do not blindly take what is fed to me. I question everything. More often then not, when someone answers a question and you dig deeper by questioning more, you will come to find out the simple answer originally given is usually not entirely accurate. I use this technique with management, my children, my condo association and every other aspect of my life. Never go with the first answer. Dig, and the more important the issue, the deeper you dig.

Yes, I do believe that the ultimate goal for the Teamsters, Obama administration and big Corporations is to get everyone in a single payer system. Reid has stated this. Obama has stated this. Hoffa has admitted to being open to it and that healthcare is the biggest obstacle during negotiations. Big corporations (union employees) would be happy to get rid of the HC off their books. UPS case in point.

Now, you have been against those of us who voted No. Had we blindly taken what was offered, and didn't question, would we have gained the new enhancements??? Obviously the answer is no. So questioning what was being offered and wanting to know more and have details has gotten us more then what was first proposed. By digging deeper, questioning and waiting we have come to find out that there was more in the pot and as a result we have gained better healthcare. So all you guys who were against us voting no should realize that us NO voters would of walked "broken glass" at the picket line if that is what was needed to get accurate information on our HC. If anything, you should be congratulating us for making a stand, putting our selves at risk, to gain more coverage. Seems as though the no vote was a smart move.

And I don't give a rats butt that UPS management wishes they got what we get. The poor guy standing at the end of the highway ramp holding a sign saying "will work for food" wishes he gets what UPS management gets. That argument is weak at best.

Drink Craft Beer

If UPS was offering this (to stay on their plan) I would be very happy because I know that none of the contract language in the healthcare plan could be changed over the next 5yrs.

No unforeseen.......... "surprise"

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Some things to take note of before you get all excited.

First, injectable maintenance drugs or maintenance drugs still contain some questions. This is what Teamcare says about them:

Maintenance Medication Requirement
For maintenance medications, you have the choice of either using a CVS Pharmacy or CVS Caremark Mail Service. After the 2nd fill of a maintenance medication at a retail pharmacy, your co-payment will increase to 50% of the cost of the medication.

Insulin is very expensive and I know many drivers who's wives or children are diabetic and need this medication weekly. It can cost 1000.00 a week for a set of shots, and if true, 50% of that cost would be 500 dollars a week for the member.

While insulin is expensive, the total cost is around $95 per 1000 units for the purest insulin.
I have never heard of any insulin being prescribed at more than 200 units per day (above that, insulin has serious side affects especially 400 units).
The 50% co-pay only comes into effect when it is filled outside a CVS retail pharmacy or Caremark Mail pharmacy.
There is a $300 co-pay limit per 3 month prescription if filled through CVS/Caremark.
Definitely not negligible but not $500 per week.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm just wondering when and where TOS got his medical degree.

Or if he's just pulling these figures out of his backside.

This will not get better unless they take out the language that states if CS healthcare plan starts to lose money they can take our raises and pension contributions in the need for more healthcare founds.

stink219

keep in mind folks, the trustees can change the benefits and even take some of the Pension contributions to pay for the HC. If the dollar amount being paid into the plan has not changed since the TA was presented, then i would imagine at some point we will see changes.
This is protected language.
Btw, did I tell you things would improve.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This is protected language.
Btw, did I tell you things would improve.

I said the same thing but misery loves company. Teamcare is looking very good. Eat that TOS.

?????
I mean...I love you guys, but weren't you guys the ones that were geeking the initial vote in the YES direction.
Then weren't you the guys that said health care was a done deal when the National Master passed and that health care couldn't be revisited?
Now, since the pot has been sweetened, you claim I told you so?

407, am I not inline to receive a better health care package than you, although we work in the same region?
Why doesn't that infuriate you?

P.S. I have come far from reading all the crap posted on this board, so maybe I missed something. Thankfully

Inthegame

?????
I mean...I love you guys, but weren't you guys the ones that were geeking the initial vote in the YES direction.
Then weren't you the guys that said health care was a done deal when the National Master passed and that health care couldn't be revisited?

407, am I not inline to receive a better health care package than you, although we work in the same region?

P.S. I have come far from reading all the crap posted on this board, so maybe I missed something. Thankfully
Bubble, The National TA was negotiated between the IBT and UPS. That's done. No more HC negotiation was done with UPS. These improvements were done between the IBT and the CS Trustees, and logic tells me it's available now because L177 and the West cannot carve out a better deal and have rejoined the "pool" allowing a better deal for all. Maybe I'm nuts, but I can't see those carve outs being done with the contribution rates negotiated.
Can't speak for 407 but this new deal is superior to the plan I'm in, but I'm satisfied with my plan. It's well run and fair, with better retiree coverage.

?????

Wait till you get the DVD in the mail. I think you will understand more at that time. You will still have better medical benefits than I do. You won't have co pays and your medical will still be the same as it is now except for a deductible. Our benifits were the ones that were enhanced. I said all alone that the benifits would be upgraded for us. As far as you are concerned I believe your coverage as far as the dollar amount stay the same in The enhanced c6.

Im not going to get into a debate with you on this forum friend as its a strained Internet friendship of late. All the best to you and your family.

Bubble, The National TA was negotiated between the IBT and UPS. That's done. No more HC negotiation was done with UPS. These improvements were done between the IBT and the CS Trustees, and logic tells me it's available now because L177 and the West cannot carve out a better deal and have rejoined the "pool" allowing a better deal for all. Maybe I'm nuts, but I can't see those carve outs being done with the contribution rates negotiated.
Can't speak for 407 but this new deal is superior to the plan I'm in, but I'm satisfied with my plan. It's well run and fair, with better retiree coverage.
At least you are here to be the voice of reason because I can't reason with these people anymore.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

In this line of thinking, if we were ALL in the same "pool" wouldn't that allow for a better health care plan for ALL?
Why would you be satisfied with a lesser plan than others within the same company and how in the world is that fair?
What a pitiful shell game that seems to be going on here?
In the end, I can't help but think the devil is in the details and that we are ALL going to lose.