Teamsters and unionizing Amazon

BeefiestMass

You would think the union option would be a no-brainer?

The union had better get to understand what motivates these workers because they are not selling the benefit of unionization judging by the last union vote.
I try to talk to all the Amazon drivers. The top objections I hear in my area are "But you don't even have AC" and "Yall have to work too much, I got a family." Pretty easy sell otherwise. Maybe organize drivers in winter when they're not thinking of the former lol

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This is what I mean. If a/c can trigger a no vote, the union is not prepared to overcome objections.

The question to ask before you ask them to vote, is: would you work with no a/c for $90 grand a year plus full paid benefits?

BeefiestMass

They are too diverse to unify.
I disagree. Companies exploited ethnic/language barriers to impede unions in their mining towns, and it ultimately did not work. Amazon can and must be organized.

Also thinking about that article recently that pointed to their 150% turnover rate. Is that a flaw in their business, or a feature that keeps pay low and organization efforts difficult?

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
I disagree. Companies exploited ethnic/language barriers to impede unions in their mining towns, and it ultimately did not work. Amazon can and must be organized.

Also thinking about that article recently that pointed to their 150% turnover rate. Is that a flaw in their business, or a feature that keeps pay low and organization efforts difficult?
Most companies don't harass non-whites

Whereistheunion

Don't think we're allowed to post links here so you'll have to search yourself. Just read that the teamsters voted almost unanimously to allocate sources to a national campaign to look at unionizing Amazon.
Doubt if they can organize Amazon, the company pays out big raises every time organized labor gets involved, many have tried many have failed.

ManInBrown

You would think the union option would be a no-brainer?

The union had better get to understand what motivates these workers because they are not selling the benefit of unionization judging by the last union vote.
Of course it’s an absolute no brainer. How in the world could anyone with two brain cells, working a job with less than ideal conditions and pay, not be pro union? It’s amazing. We all b and moan about the last contract, but if we weren’t unionized they’d be walking ten people out a day, and we’d all be making 18 bucks an hour.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
If the Unions ever get back to what they are designed to do...people would be pounding on the doors to work for a union shop, RTW laws would be useless...

Whereistheunion

Of course it’s an absolute no brainer. How in the world could anyone with two brain cells, working a job with less than ideal conditions and pay, not be pro union? It’s amazing. We all b and moan about the last contract, but if we weren’t unionized they’d be walking ten people out a day, and we’d all be making 18 bucks an hour.
The Amazonian people are new to this, true greenhorns they have No idea of what mistreatment looks like and 20.00 hr is a lot of money for them.

ManInBrown

The Amazonian people are new to this, true greenhorns they have No idea of what mistreatment looks like and 20.00 hr is a lot of money for them.
That I agree with. It’s sad but Amazon employees are really bottom of the barrel. I used to have a job where my last leg was an Amazon warehouse in the morning. The amount of employees I saw every morning, walking down a major highway to get there was crazy. No one has a car?