Teamsters and unionizing Amazon

Zowert

Good. Saw this poor dude working his tail off in a P-series ‘Prime’ package car the other day. He asked me if it was true that we could make six figures a year. I told him the truth and felt bad when he told me they’re paying him $17 and some change an hour. No raises, no benefits and no PTO other than what the state requires for sick leave. I told him if he could get in at UPS he should, otherwise if the Teamsters ever come knocking on their door at least listen to them.

I heard the union is reaching out to Amazon warehouse workers and even some DSP drivers in California but I can’t confirm it. I can see the package handlers working inside actual Amazon facilities unionizing but it’s going to be very hard to get the drivers in. They’re all contracted DSP’s that Amazon can easily drop if there’s a union rep talking to the employees.

ManInBrown

Why on earth would an hourly driver want to finish sooner if they are upset about how much money they make. Your logic is not sound.
I worked jobs before UPS where let’s just say the pay sucked. I was miserable. All I wanted to do was get thru the day ASAP and go home. Working an extra 30 minutes for crappy pay does nothing to the bottom line. You’re still broke.

Zowert

It actually makes perfect sense. Why do you think the majority of tractor trailer drivers on interstate highways drive like complete jack wagons? FedEx, Swift. Riding two feet from someones back bumper if god forbid they don’t get out of he way. Because they aren’t paid properly. So they just want to get done ASAP. Whether it be by the mile or hourly. Doesn’t matter. Same applies to Amazon. They aren’t paid like professional drivers. I drive 55 on all major highways. Why? Because I make almost $40 an hour. I’m not in any rush. I’m paid to do the job in a safe manner, and get from point A to point B in one piece. The Amazon driver can’t be bothered to walk twenty feet to someone’s front door, so he feels the need to pull nose first into every 40 foot driveway.
What makes Amazon drivers so dangerous is how they are compensated. A lot of Amazon DSP drivers get paid a 10 hour guarantee. If they finish their route in 7 hours they still get the full 10 hours pay. It creates incentive to rush and cut corners. It’s designed to keep the OT pay to a minimum, they’re paid time and a half after the 10th hour. For us, OT is where the GOOD money is. Why would a top rate UPS driver want to burn through his route as fast as possible when he’s making $60/hr after 8.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
What makes Amazon drivers so dangerous is how they are compensated. A lot of Amazon DSP drivers get paid a 10 hour guarantee. If they finish their route in 7 hours they still get the full 10 hours pay. It creates incentive to rush and cut corners. It’s designed to keep the OT pay to a minimum, they’re paid time and a half after the 10th hour. For us, OT is where the GOOD money is. Why would a top rate UPS driver want to burn through his route as fast as possible when he’s making $60/hr after 8.
Tell that to the runners at my center.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Dominos Pizza got sued and lost due to their policy that encouraged drivers to go fast, take risks, cut corners.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I wonder how dumb one has to be to brag about behavior like this on the internet

If any kid of mine did that they would never hear the end of it. We hate Amazon because they treat their employees badly. So our solution is to also treat their employees badly? Give me a break

Off the leash

If you think everything our union does is a conspiracy and we can't ever accomplish good things as rank-and-file members then you don't know your history.
History? Jimmy Hoffa you mean? Giving our pension money to the mob? I know the history. The IBT was under government control until a few years ago. Real trustworthy

Off the leash

History? Jimmy Hoffa you mean? Giving our pension money to the mob? I know the history. The IBT was under government control until a few years ago. Real trustworthy
If you think everything our union does is a conspiracy and we can't ever accomplish good things as rank-and-file members then you don't know your history.
But your right that not everything is a conspiracy, just some things. When billions of dollars are at stake corners will be cut and back room deals will be made. Who benefited from that contract? Follow the money

meritocracy

But your right that not everything is a conspiracy, just some things. When billions of dollars are at stake corners will be cut and back room deals will be made. Who benefited from that contract? Follow the money
The same opposition that fought against mob influence also fought to eliminate the 2/3 rule, stop information brownouts, and get rank-and-file members on all bargaining committees. The victories achieved at the 2021 convention were years in the making and are a direct result of bad contracts shoved down members' throats over the last two decades.

Off the leash

The same opposition that fought against mob influence also fought to eliminate the 2/3 rule, stop information brownouts, and get rank-and-file members on all bargaining committees. The victories achieved at the 2021 convention were years in the making and are a direct result of bad contracts shoved down members' throats over the last two decades.
Start a movement and get members voting, we’re on the same page. Too much apathy from rank and file

Off the leash

A lot more work needs to be done. The crooks are entrenched and need to be rooted out