Teamsters Applaud Treasury Decision to Deny CSPF Cuts, Protect Retiree Pensions

grspancho

I think the treasury department decision just kicked the can down the road and didn't solve any problems. It will probably run out of money sooner and future retirees will have nothing. This pension problem started in early 80's. Deregulation killed teamster jobs and pensions money management team didn't make adjustments - instead ran it like a Ponzi scheme. I think we have a big mess -bad for people who are retired and future retirees.

10 point

It's funny.

People do dumb things to get themselves fired.
-Bug-

Some get fired (taken out of service) for bogus reasons because they have the fortitude to stand up for their rights in the midst of 95% of their co-workers who are freaking cowards and therefore management wants to show the rest of the sheep what happens when you get out of the pen.

Trumped up bs is management's specialty.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
...and that insurance is a God send, since the Union is great at getting our jobs back, but terrible at protecting our wages.
Don't go to work without it.

~Bbbl~
It's funny.People do dumb things to get themselves fired.The Union gets them their job back, and they're hacked off because of no back-pay.Not realizing.... that's the penalty for their mistake. (putting it lightly)So, insurance (for some people) might make sense.
It's not "dumb dumb" insurance.

It protects those who make inadvertent mistakes,
...you know,...."not on purpose".

Let's say for instance.....an "avoidable accident", "proven dishonesty", or God forbid, "other serious"...ooops....I mean..."other cardinal offenses" (17i)?

Best you can hope for, when you have a good case at the panel, is a split baby or "referred back", no precedent set.

...in the end, anybody can have an "avoidable accident".

"Avoid-ability"....neat.

~Bbbl~

Catatonic

Nine Lives
"A pension is a promise made by the company to the employee and there is no acceptable reason that promise should be broken." I couldn't agree more with this guy.
ABSOLUTELY wrong!
The pension is an agreement between the company and the Union who fairly administers that pension for the employees.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Its a job benefit... just like wages and health care. We have contractually agreed money and accruals put in and many of us have diverted raises directly to the pension fund in our region. I don't know about some of you but if somebody tries to pick my pocket they will get a fight.
Go get them Teamster Officials then!

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Pensions were created to make sure retirees who wouldn't take care of their retirement on their own were taken care of. They are outdated and the funds designated for deposit should instead be placed in our individual 401k's.
I agree with that. If my pension credits were put into my own investment accounts, it would be 200% funded lol.

10 point

And then some get fired (taken out of service) for bogus reasons because they miserable pests.
That applies to management as well but my experience is that management rarely acts on their own abuses with their nonunion coworkers with the same speed that they do the hourly employees.

"Rarely" above is actually almost never.

badpal

So The Teamsters are happy the cuts were voted down and the Company is happy to? Why the friend did they bother to go through all this BS to begin with? I can't figure it out.
That's the part I cant figure, wasn't this a Teamster proposal in the first place? Now the treasury dept says no they cant do it and it becomes a victory?

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Oh please, are you kidding???

You can credit UPS and it's enormous lobbying dollar$ for this decision, and both UPS and H&H for the structure of the Multi-Employer Pension Reform Act of 2014.

H&H are only now pretending to be against what they were championing until the election season.

Solutions Not Bailouts
Clueless morons who are never happy. Your dumbest post by far.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I get it.

They have to pretend, like they have members.

It's funny.

The Union gets them their job back, and they're hacked off because of no back-pay.

Not realizing.... that's the penalty for their mistake. (putting it lightly)

So, insurance (for some people) might make sense.

-Bug-
Wow.

That has to be a hard image to look at.... in the mirror.

You used to gloat about your NY pension.

I guess, those "rose colored glasses" came off.

-Bug-
What you guys expect .... 1000 hours in per year and that's all for a full pension credit...???

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

The Union gets them their job back, and they're hacked off because of no back-pay.

Not realizing.... that's the penalty for their mistake. (putting it lightly)

-Bug-

Maybe in your neck of the woods, every single suspension, firing is all on the union employee. And maybe you, BigUnionGuy, make no distinction between doing a dumb thing, making a mistake, and a wrongful discharge. That's a shame, because your words put you in a gray area that mixes managerial offense with union defense. That's no place any union member wants his steward in when he is defending said member.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Pensions were created to make sure retirees who wouldn't take care of their retirement on their own were taken care of. They are outdated and the funds designated for deposit should instead be placed in our individual 401k's.

Wrong, Slim. This is always an easy argument to win, because it is based on simple fact. Pensions are deferred salary. Simple as that. The problem is, companies have the cash to bribe politicians to back away from their obligations. And a pension is supposed to be a contract. To bad the people can't weasel out their obligations the way an LLC can.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wrong, Slim. This is always an easy argument to win, because it is based on simple fact. Pensions are deferred salary. Simple as that. The problem is, companies have the cash to bribe politicians to back away from their obligations. And a pension is supposed to be a contract. To bad the people can't weasel out their obligations the way an LLC can.

Fair enough. Now tell me how many of those retirees, if given this money upfront rather than having it held for them, would have had the wherewithall to properly invest it, thus assuring a secure retirement?

10 point

Fair enough. Now tell me how many of those retirees, if given this money upfront rather than having it held for them, would have had the wherewithall to properly invest it, thus assuring a secure retirement?
What does it matter to you what anyone else does with THEIR money?

Some who got hired into a job with a pension later in life may have used it to pay off their mortgage earlier and had the interest difference work to their favor.

The issue is that it's our money.

Our mechanic told me yesterday that he's got 15 yrs in at UPS shortly and his pension will be $3000/mo.

He also said that another mechanic is retiring at 35 yrs of service and that his monthly pension will be $11-12000/mo.

They get the same contribution that I get.
Enlightening.

ski or die

Ski or Die
What does it matter to you what anyone else does with THEIR money?

Some who got hired into a job with a pension later in life may have used it to pay off their mortgage earlier and had the interest difference work to their favor.

The issue is that it's our money.

Our mechanic told me yesterday that he's got 15 yrs in at UPS shortly and his pension will be $3000/mo.

He also said that another mechanic is retiring at 35 yrs of service and that his monthly pension will be $11-12000/mo.

They get the same contribution that I get.
Enlightening.

This mechanic must live in Seattle or Colorado. They must be allowed to smoke that wacky stuff while on break.