Teamsters Pension Fund to cut Benefits 50%+ as Fund Could Bankrupt Govt. PBGC

reginald95

Can someone clarify something for me? I thought this whole pension fiasco is about other company teamster that went under. I thought all UPS teamsters are ok. Sounds like that just a bad luck that those other companies went under while UPS remains strong.

rod

Retired 22 years
Can someone clarify something for me? I thought this whole pension fiasco is about other company teamster that went under. I thought all UPS teamsters are ok. Sounds like that just a bad luck that those other companies went under while UPS remains strong.

The bottom line is from what I understand is---if you are a 70 year old ex UPS'er OR retired after Dec.31, 2007 you are not affected. Those that retired before 2008 are screwed. (Waiting for your asinine response Upstate).

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

The CSPF wants to cut all retirees benefits, even those from UPS.

Those that retired before 2008 may see a 50% cut.

Those that retired 2008 and later may see a 40% cut.

The only difference is that UPS has contractually agreed to make up any cuts to 2008 and later retirees.

They will still see the cut from the CSPF, but it will be made up for by UPS.

The pre 2008 retirees will not see UPS make up any cuts.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

They can write that on their bankruptcy request when they piss off upsers enough

Ms.PacMan

The only difference is that UPS has contractually agreed to make up any cuts to 2008 and later retirees.

Those that worked after 2008 with 20yrs (retired or not) in CS got a 40% cut. Those of us with less than 20yrs total in CS got letters with a 70% cut (that we have to sweat out hoping UPS will make up the difference in every contract going forward until we can retire)!

Insaneasylum

The problem with that is the contract can change. Everyone always thinks of there self come contract time. Just like the old timers keeped passing longer and longer progression for top wage so you could keep getting .70-1$ raises a year. Now your going to have to hope the new guys don't vote in a new contract with out that language of ups making up the difference. But why should they when you didn't think they should be paid as much.

PT Car Washer

The problem with that is the contract can change. Everyone always thinks of there self come contract time. Just like the old timers keeped passing longer and longer progression for top wage so you could keep getting .70-1$ raises a year. Now your going to have to hope the new guys don't vote in a new contract with out that language of ups making up the difference. But why should they when you didn't think they should be paid as much.
And don't forget about the PT who have seen a $2/hr starting raise in the last 35 years but a four year progression. Of course PT do not vote, unless UPS offered a $500 signing bonus would encourage their vote.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Yes it can, but that clause is also in the UPS/IBT pension.

Part of the agreement for the buyout.

So they have to change the contract and the pension requirements.

It may be hard to do both, but not impossible.