Teamwork? Not around here.

rod

Retired 22 years
Going back to the original point of this thread, it is my thought process that mgt believes that the driver in question has become used to having help on this stop (I assume it is a P/U) and they are trying to get him to step up and do his own work. In our center, we are also asked to let mgt know if we can help or if we need help and it is always the same drivers either offering or asking for help. They know that I am always available to help but, as was pointed out earlier, helping on a regular basis may lead to that work being added to your route on a permanent basis. We have 5 drivers who deliver in the city and we all have each others' cell phone numbers and we call each other if we need and/or offer to help, bypassing mgt.

As far as the driver pawning off work, we have one of those here too. It is amazing how the power of peer pressure has put an end to his pawning.

11 days to go--Christmas Eve is going to suck!!
I have to laugh at the idea of calling other drivers to help you without getting management involved. I have in my possession one Certified Warning Letter stating that this is totally against company policy. Delivery Drivers DO NOT have the right to dispatch themselves. The company will always go out of their way to make a hard job harder.:happy2:

govols019

You smell that?
Our management has told us that we are not to go help another driver without calling in first.

Helping another driver upsets the mighty SPORH.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I apologize, I misspoke in my earlier post. We (drivers) do check with one another to see if anyone needs help but any requests for help have to be approved by mgt. There have been many instances where I have left in the morning and been asked to check on a driver who left heavy to see if he/she may need help. As for the warning letter, teamwork is encouraged here and I have never heard of or received a letter for helping another driver, whether it was approved or not.

W

westsideworma

I have to laugh at the idea of calling other drivers to help you without getting management involved. I have in my possession one Certified Warning Letter stating that this is totally against company policy. Delivery Drivers DO NOT have the right to dispatch themselves. The company will always go out of their way to make a hard job harder.:happy2:

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. Not calling you a liar rod, just commenting on how stupid the action taken against you was.

When I loaded we were given more than enough time to get the job done during peak (only during peak though lol) so the service would improve and drivers would be able to get home and not have to run so many misloads. Not for nothing and no disrespect to you drivers (as you're all hard workers), but how does it make sense from a business standpoint to have a driver run a misload at 43/hr(figure they'll probably be getting OT at some point during their day if running a misload) driving a gas hog (more $$) instead of giving a preloader at 9.50/hr some extra time so the misload is less likely to occur in the first place

Lately the stupidity has really got my temper rising, on the preload we're really robbing peter to pay paul and its starting to piss everyone off. Our manager yanks preloaders from the brownie lines to cover the unload/primary (these people NEVER show up on time) and as such their cages get absolutely slammed (even more so than before) and some never recover which leads to stacking. He also has the nerve to then ask why we're stacking....I tell you, I've had just about enough of it but then again, starting the operation thats doing about 15-20,000 more packages than we usually do only 15 min earlier (on average) isn't too bright either. We're also working supes. THAT is inexcusable, I am a supe and I like loading (honestly) but I am not supposed to and I get and try to respect that since its part of the collective agreement. We have the people (though just barely even with night sort extensions), we simply aren't giving them enough time. For the time they pluck preloaders to go to the primary negates the earlier start time and then they're in the hole...seriously am I the only one who notices this?

As a result my line is very disgruntled (and rightly so!), bailing out the primary everyday and rarely getting help from in return. My line has great team mentality, always show up on time (some call and apologize to me personally for missing a day?!? no lie) and our operational moves are destroying that. Its the same people who don't show or are 30min-an hour late everyday. Why are these people still working here???? If I missed 1(!) day as a loader I heard about it even though I went through the proper channels and called in. Some of these people are ANC and still work here! It boggles my mind. If we're going to work supes have us unload and leave the preloaders alone....makes more sense.