telematics?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Is telematics a thing of the past? I have not heard one word about seat belts events , backing distance, recording while traveling/idling. I will sometimes purposely deliver a stop and then back 100 feet , sometimes 600 feet but supervisors say nothing. I even purposely backed up 2 miles just to see if my boss would say anything and nothing! Did the diad cradle/gps eliminate telematics ?

KoennenTiger

I had a seat belt violation last winter. I knew it right when I did it just a tired dumb move. I heard about it the next day.

I had a recording in travel this summer. Again I knew it was happening as I did it. And I heard about it the next day.

Backing though? I haven't heard anything about my backing for years.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I had a seat belt violation last winter. I knew it right when I did it just a tired dumb move. I heard about it the next day.

I had a recording in travel this summer. Again I knew it was happening as I did it. And I heard about it the next day.

Backing though? I haven't heard anything about my backing for years.
We neutral back around here , its sad to have to do that. If only UPS knew how much we actually had to back our package cars up

KoennenTiger

We neutral back around here , its sad to have to do that. If only UPS knew how much we actually had to back our package cars up

When I was a utility driver I used to turn around in the middle of residential streets. I would turn around using driveways. Lol omg I once when new got stuck in a snow storm in a resi gutter trying to turn around in the middle of a resi street. I used my chains thrown under the tires to try to get traction couldn't get out. I spent half an hour doing that, with my chains and sticks I found under a tree in the neighborhos yard, then a kindly soul who had been watching me came and hooked a chain to the back of my truck and towed me out with his 4wd friend-350.

I was terrified to hear about it from mngnt. Never heard a thing.

Though these days I back exactly the same amount every single day. I could run my route in my sleep.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Neutral backing? Are you serious. I throw it into reverse roughly 15 times a day, maybe more. Docks and tight city streets make it a madhouse in my center. Never hear a peep about it.

1st rule of backing... Don’t back!? Impossible.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Is telematics a thing of the past? I have not heard one word about seat belts events , backing distance, recording while traveling/idling. I will sometimes purposely deliver a stop and then back 100 feet , sometimes 600 feet but supervisors say nothing. I even purposely backed up 2 miles just to see if my boss would say anything and nothing! Did the diad cradle/gps eliminate telematics ?

It's not peak yet. They will friend* with us about it when we are all busting our balls trying to get stuff done. Like that will motivate me to improve my performance.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
They can tell when you do that. God forbid you hit something, might be considered a roll away. Also, coasting in neutral takes away your reverse lights, further confusing the general cell phone using public. It’s just a report, who cares?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Had a bulkhead door malfunction about a month ago. The lock trip mechanism wasn't lifting all the way. So I called center manager, asked permission to ride with door open (have $1000 key fob only, $1 brass key nowhere to be found in the lockbox) as I still had 70 stops left and didn't want to have to deliver everything through the rear door.

He himmed and hawed for a moment and then asked if I had scanned the barcode on the engine cover in cab while I was entering the mileage in the AM. I didn't. I never do. I told him as much and I was told "ok good, you wont show on the report then, go ahead and deliver with bulkhead open, just be sure hand truck is secure and nothing can tumble into cab."

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Telematics has become one of the old backup complaints in my center. During the pcm, if sup can't think of anything negative to say there's always " had some people showing up on telematics " line. Used to be shoes was the standard negative comment.

Indecisi0n

I never cared much for telematics. I was pulled into the office for backing up and told that every back I had to call in and get approval. By 12:30 I had called roughly 10-12 times already and he wasn't happy . He told me to " stop bothering him and to just do my job like a professional". Then he hung up on me.

....I had to call back because he never officially said I was approved to back on my own . I could feel the vein in his head rise over the phone .

oldngray

nowhere special
I never cared much for telematics. I was pulled into the office for backing up and told that every back I had to call in and get approval. By 12:30 I had called roughly 10-12 times already and he wasn't happy . He told me to " stop bothering him and to just do my job like a professional". Then he hung up on me.

....I had to call back because he never officially said I was approved to back on my own . I could feel the vein in his head rise over the phone .

Some routes will have a lot of backs. Especially if you have a lot of dock stops. Some office geek can order everyone to reduce their backs by 10% or some other random number but means almost nothing in the real world. My route was always 35-40 backs and nothing was going to change that.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Try delivering a completely rural area without backing. Houses aren’t on the street. You drive hundreds of yards to some houses with no room to turn around without backing. My last route was roughly 100 stops a day and up to 200 miles. I had 60 to 70 backs a day. They use to give me grief but do the same thing when they rode with me.

It’s just a training tool to try and get you to look at other options. We got lots of lazy people in this company. They would rather put a truck in reverse than take 3 extra steps to deliver the same stop. Saw it too many times in my time delivering. Watching the shortcuts the FedEx guys would take would always leave me shaking my head.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Try delivering a completely rural area without backing. Houses aren’t on the street. You drive hundreds of yards to some houses with no room to turn around without backing. My last route was roughly 100 stops a day and up to 200 miles. I had 60 to 70 backs a day. They use to give me grief but do the same thing when they rode with me.

It’s just a training tool to try and get you to look at other options. We got lots of lazy people in this company. They would rather put a truck in reverse than take 3 extra steps to deliver the same stop. Saw it too many times in my time delivering. Watching the shortcuts the FedEx guys would take would always leave me shaking my head.

Some FedEx drivers are horrendous in positioning their vehicles. Its hilarious to watch some of them, especially the ones who are relatively new.

Amazon drivers are the kings and queens of stupidity though. Whenever one parks facing the wrong direction on my side of the street and I have a delivery near theirs I will absolutely pull all the way up just to inconvenience them.