Need advice from the experts first issue!

OneBoxAtATime

On Friday I was in one of my really nice subbdervisons most with long driveways. I always back down to the house .( alot of them have no please to turn around thats why I back) . Before I back I look and make sure nothing is in my way. As I back SOMETIMES I blow the horn as I'm backing up. ( I think I'm really good at using my horn). After I Finnish the Subdivision my supervisor was videoing me backing up at almost every stop. He said I wasn't blowing my horn as I was backing up. Then he said I only have 10 seconds from the time I step onto the pkg steps put the diad in the slot, seat and start up and go! He basically said I'm slow at doing that which I don't believe that either! He said thats why your over aloud and he can take the video to the labor board . What can they do to me? Should I worry about any of this? He said we will discuss Monday morning. When I go I to the office what do yall think I should say about these 2 issues? Sorry it's so long and thanks everyone!

PCM Troll

Don't say anything. Let him take his video to whoever he wants to and then smile as the union throws it out. No supervisor can record an employee and use it for disciplinary action. Second, as long as you are using the methods and working as safely as fast as you can then they cannot do a thing. Fair days work for a fair days pay. So don't stress it. Just make sure you continue to work smart. Don't give them a reason to write you up by not following the methods. And if he continues to mess with you file a grievance for harassment but make sure you take detailed notes of anything you feel it is not right. Take pictures of diad messages as well. You will need all of this info to put on grievance.

rod

Retired 22 years
You could always start walking those stops off instead of backing your truck up. I'm sure your center manager would be extra happy seeing how long that takes. friend'in idiots just can't leave well enough alone. Call his bluff.

35years

Gravy route
FIRST and foremost do not step into the office without a steward.
If they say you do not need one ask the following question with a witness present:
Is it possible that this meeting COULD result in discipline?
If so demand a steward before answering any question.

On second thought they already implied discipline might be forthcoming, so demand a steward and don't answer before one is there. Review what happened and any words spoken with the steward before going in. Don't answer any questions before going in, demand a steward.

When in the office with the steward, allow him to answer as many questions as possible. Don't answer yourself if possible.
They will try to trick you by asking non-threatening or unrelated questions before asking questions that implicate you.

They will attempt to get you to contradict yourself...dishonesty. Take a lot of time answering, careful not to fall for leading questions. Point out any errors in their statements or questions. Be truthful, don't speculate, don't rush. "I don't recall" is an acceptable answer. You can remember later and not contradict yourself.

Any time you do not know how to answer a question ask for a private talk with your steward before proceeding, and step out with him. Do it as many times as you want.

-10 seconds is more than enough time from stepping into the truck to moving the truck...I believe 6 seconds is the standard. So on that point ask for more training if you are truly that slow.
-Avoid backing as much as possible.

In your defense, with the steward present...he should ask these questions go over these before the meeting;
-If he videotaped you backing several times without honking...Can you hear other truck sounds on the audio?
-How far away was he when he videotaped? Is it possible he was too far to hear or pick up the horn on the microphone ? Ask for specific distances, specific locations where he was parked when he observed you, and where you were.
-If they say you should have avoided the backs...Was it too icy to safely walk?
Does he know that the package was light enough to carry? Ask him if he knows the weight of the box he observed you delivering. If not, did snow/ice rule out using a two wheel cart?
-Is this the first occurrence of observing you not honking?

The most you will get is a warning letter for not honking. Grieve all discipline. I have received enough warning letters to wallpaper my bathroom. Who cares? Grieve the discipline anyway.
And make sure you do everything by the book.

Last edited:

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Numbers are numbers
Just walk down their driveway and say you walk off every stop you have to.
have him video tape that

OneBoxAtATime

On Friday I was in one of my really nice subbdervisons most with long driveways. I always back down to the house .( alot of them have no please to turn around thats why I back) . Before I back I look and make sure nothing is in my way. As I back SOMETIMES I blow the horn as I'm backing up. ( I think I'm really good at using my horn). After I Finnish the Subdivision my supervisor was videoing me backing up at almost every stop. He said I wasn't blowing my horn as I was backing up. Then he said I only have 10 seconds from the time I step onto the pkg steps put the diad in the slot, seat and start up and go! He basically said I'm slow at doing that which I don't believe that either! He said thats why your over aloud and he can take the video to the labor board . What can they do to me? Should I worry about any of this? He said we will discuss Monday morning. When I go I to the office what do yall think I should say about these 2 issues?

35years

Gravy route
Notice how they tie in production with the safety violation?
They are trying to harass for production using safety as the excuse to threaten you.
I guarantee any warning letter will be for honking not production.
Work more safely.
If they see harassing you works to make you run, expect more harassment. It should not affect your pace.

I doubt the supervisor could observe his methods in the cab if he was so far away that he had to back down the driveway.

quad decade guy

I realize you didn't write it but another piece of advice said video cannot be used for discipline. Well, can or can't? If not(absolutely) why would the ORS even mention it? I have always contended that if productivity is not recognized, why is it always at least used to start an investigation(towards discipline). In other words, puts you on their radar. Please explain this. See, something as insignificant as not beeping the horn(methods) could in fact LEAD to termination. Possible? I think so. A lot has to happen in between-true.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
After I Finnish the Subdivision my supervisor was videoing me backing up at almost every stop.
Tell him 1,000 backs is better than a hit while parked. Flavor of the month is “ DONT BACK!” here in California and hit while parked accidents have skyrocketed. I don’t care what anyone says I’m backing off the road.
🧔✊

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
@MECH-lift stop routine
1. Turn package car off.
2. Pull out phone and get on browncafe.
3. Walk to house very slowly while on brown cafe
4. Get into package car still looking at browncafe.
5. Turn package car on.

Next stop: repeat steps 1-5
🧔✊

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I would walk every single stop as I was trained to stay out of driveways. If you are backing down each driveway every day you WILL wind up hitting something,going into the grass from a tire slipping off,leaking oil on the driveway etc and the FIRST thing they will ask you is WHY WERE YOU IN THE DRIVEWAY! There is no such thing as Overallowed anyways

35years

Gravy route
Cracked a mirror on a branch I had driven through hundreds of times before.
I say I contact hundreds of trees a day on that rural wooded route, long driveways it happens.
Boss said I should have walked it. 100 yards. Avoidable.

I start walking any driveway that has a tree I could contact.
3 hours longer to do the route each day.
C.M. says it shouldn't take that much longer, and I shouldn't ever crack a mirror. He rides with me to prove it. Hahaha...

I let him make the call before deciding to go down any driveway. I also verbally count every branch we contact, over 150 by noon. He wants production, so he is sending me down nearly every one.

We get to one I would never drive. Trees on both sides, too close to avoid. He has me fold the mirrors back and has me drive it, scraping 100+ yards all the way.

When we complete the stop and fold the mirrors back out...ONE IS CRACKED!

I tell him we have to call it in as an accident, he says no.

5 minutes later he tells me he will trust my judgement for now on for which driveways to walk.

35years

Gravy route
I might have once hit a low hanging branch, called it in.
Boss (center manager) says no big deal, have the shop touch up the truck.
I tell her..."Well, it was more like a limb which broke off fell on my truck, and smashed the hood.
Limb 12 inches in diameter and 20 feet long. I could only roll it off the truck because it was over 200 lbs."

"It's ok just have the shop touch it up"

Mechanic used brown duct tape and paint. Looked so bad.
Later found out center manager had already put in her 2 week notice the week before and was moving on to a different company.
No warning letter, nothing.
When I broke a mirror a month later they wanted a 1 day suspension.
Nope, you didn't give me a warning letter for the last one, so you can't give me more than a letter.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Management: 34 IS YOUR BACKING GOAL! FOLLOW ORION

Driver: Orion has me backing 84 times

Management: follow the cradle !

@Dragon , do you know how * you guys sound?
🧔✊

Last edited by a moderator:

DriverNerd

I just take the accidents and always report them. Who cares. 35+ years driving, lots of 1 year safe driving awards.

Circle of honor? Really miss that patch:raspberry: Stopped collecting merit badges in 4th grade.
Whenever I get a safe driving away, our safety members tell me they have something for me to throw away (since that's the first thing I do when they are handed to me). I don't open them, just right in the trash.

ManInBrown

On Friday I was in one of my really nice subbdervisons most with long driveways. I always back down to the house .( alot of them have no please to turn around thats why I back) . Before I back I look and make sure nothing is in my way. As I back SOMETIMES I blow the horn as I'm backing up. ( I think I'm really good at using my horn). After I Finnish the Subdivision my supervisor was videoing me backing up at almost every stop. He said I wasn't blowing my horn as I was backing up. Then he said I only have 10 seconds from the time I step onto the pkg steps put the diad in the slot, seat and start up and go! He basically said I'm slow at doing that which I don't believe that either! He said thats why your over aloud and he can take the video to the labor board . What can they do to me? Should I worry about any of this? He said we will discuss Monday morning. When I go I to the office what do yall think I should say about these 2 issues? Sorry it's so long and thanks everyone!
You lost me at you pulling in driveways. Enjoy the extra 40 stops.