Tensions at UPS are brewing between leadership and unionized drivers as the new CEO doubles down on drivers who make deliveries in their own cars

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Tensions at UPS are brewing between leadership and unionized drivers as the new CEO doubles down on drivers who make deliveries in their own cars - Zephyrnet

• Since 2015, UPS has used seasonal hires who deliver packages in their own cars during peak times.
  • CEO Carol Tomé is “leaning in” to the practice one union driver called the “Uber-ization of our job.”
  • With contract talks on the horizon, the Personal Vehicle Driver program is a major point of tension.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The union should "lean in". Prevailing wage for pvd's.

Last edited:

Bob11B

No way they save money on PVDs...at least not in my center. They aren’t factoring in the fact that a driver still has to go to that area to deliver the larger packages, go back to fix their mistakes...and the simple fact that it takes a PVD 10 hours to do what a package car can do in 2 hours.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
No way they save money on PVDs...at least not in my center. They aren’t factoring in the fact that a driver still has to go to that area to deliver the larger packages, go back to fix their mistakes...and the simple fact that it takes a PVD 10 hours to do what a package car can do in 2 hours.
We know the stops per hour for pvd are terrible. But there are so many other expenses. They now rent a separate building for pvd. Feeders has to bring the trailers over. Its a whole separate operation. Running at 100% capacity year round has caused this

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We we using drop off areas for pvd work. So much could not fit in the cars! Another problem is they wouldn't show in bad weather. Sounds good on paper, not so good in reality.

Last edited:

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
We we using drop off areas for pvd work. So much could not fit in the cars! Another problem is they wouldn't show in bad weather. Sounds good on paper, not so good in reality.
No way it even looks good on paper. Its like someone listed everything ups does to make drivers more efficient and threw it out the window.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Then why is Big Carol pushing it?
It's a way in,a toehold if you will. PVD's are just one prong of a Multi Pronged attack on Full Time Jobs.:The new cameras are designed to terminate drivers in the name of" safety". Make the job horrible with long hours so old timers will retire. Us e PVD's to reduce the amount of Full Time drivers needed.