Tentative Agreement

Nimnim

The Nim
Dear brothers. The company plan that is so much better was going to cost you 90 bucks a week. The parties found away to keep it free.

Until negotiations are 100% finished that is not the situation. We have a tentative agreement, and another 2 months before contract expiration. Why can't we get the same benefits without losing anything?

*I have not seen concrete details of the tentative agreement yet. I expect to see them in the next couple days and my stance may change.

Returntosender

Lets say this proposal goes through. Will the union increase our union dues to pay for the union provided healthcare? Pters don't make 32+hour and work 40+hours a week.

If it' s union healthcare and it's a Kaiser plan (only) fu(K that.

If those RTW states non union members get free healthcare cause of my increased union dues FO_CK those guys.

opie

It's possible that some locals won't join the central states plan, if that is what was agreed to in the tentative agreement. I'm in Local 177, and they were very hesitant to join Central States. So it's possible some locals will have different coverages.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Lets say this proposal goes through. Will the union increase our union dues to pay for the union provided healthcare? Pters don't make 32+hour and work 40+hours a week.

If it' s union healthcare and it's a Kaiser plan (only) fu(K that.

If those RTW states non union members get free healthcare cause of my increased union dues FO_CK those guys.

Union dues has nothing to do with it. The company pays a set amount each week to the union run health fund and it is up to the plan to shop for the best rates. Mine changes all the time in an effort to keep it affordable. Sure there are some out of pocket costs. It would be unrealistic to think there wouldn't be.

FantasticFeeder

The only reason we'd get a chance to vote on this is because the two sides agreed to it. The company's first offer was shot down a long time ago, as was the Union's first offer to the company.

GameCockFan

Re: Teamsters Reach Tentative Agreements Covering 250,000 Workers At UPS, UPS Freight

I am in the central states plan and WE cannot go to any doctor.. We have to go to the doctors listed in the directory that central states mails out.. If you go to a doctor not listed in that book, you WILL get a bill.. Last year when I did, I got a bill, a big one..I filed two appeals, both denied... I was stuck paying for the entire bill to the tune of 5K... I would rather have good insurance and pay a monthly premium for it... The insurance with central states is subpar..I have listened to my friends who can go to the doctor and pay the 15 or 20 dollar copay and that is it.. With central states we pay 20 dollar copay, the 20% of the total bill, not 20% of the discount that central states has negotiated.. They will get a NO vote from me...

This is just not true.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
As we both should be. It's called inflation. Ask your parents what they started out making and what they finished making.

It's really not rocket science.

$4.50 over a 5 year contract is what we needed bare minimum to keep up with inflation.

Either you failed economics or you're predicting the rate of inflation will soar over the next five years.

Nimnim

The Nim
Either you failed economics or you're predicting the rate of inflation will soar over the next five years.

Given the QE1-3, there's going to be increased inflation. There is just no way someone can inject extra money into a market for whatever reason without inflation, above the norm, kicking in eventually because of it. It might not happen in the next 5 years, but it will happen.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
From what I am hearing the health care plan is very close to the company plans in place now . It is not the C6 plan that central states has now but a substantial modification. Need to wait and see the printed page. We all have a vote we should use it when the time comes . From what I know we are getting a pretty good deal.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Given the QE1-3, there's going to be increased inflation. There is just no way someone can inject extra money into a market for whatever reason without inflation, above the norm, kicking in eventually because of it. It might not happen in the next 5 years, but it will happen.

They've been saying that about Japan, which has a higher debt as % of GDP than the USA, and second largest national debt & utilized near zero percent interest rates for years, for at least 20 years.

Won't happen in the next five years.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
From what I am hearing the health care plan is very close to the company plans in place now . It is not the C6 plan that central states has now. Need to wait and see the printed page. We all have a vote we should use it when the time comes . From what I know we are getting a pretty good deal.

If 140,000 UPS Teamsters are being rolled into union managed plans (sounds like the entirety of the PT work force, quite frankly) then those benefit contributions should vastly increase the monetary pool and then increase benefits -- especially if these funds are already well-funded (Central States H&W has 13+ months of cash reserves). Best case scenario: the influx of PT'ers into CS H&W (in this example, or into whichever Taft-Hartley plan they are rolled into) maintains the same benefits current PT'ers enjoy while current FT'ers see a slight improvement in their own.

For all the members slamming Central States, it needs to be understood how the CS Pension fund got into the trouble it is in today. While some mismanagement certainly occurred over the plan's history, the vast majority of the damage happened when the trucking industry was deregulated during the Reagan administration in the 1980's. The original National Master Freight Agreement signed in 1964 covered 450,000 members working for 14,000 trucking companies. Today -- after the independent owner/operator scam fully took hold -- there are only two companies covered by the NMFA; YRC and ABF. Those NMFA Teamsters whose employers went belly up in the face of a cutthroat freight market were essentially "orphaned" -- they were drawing benefits from the plan (as retirees) but their companies no longer existed to make contributions. Pension plans are funded by active participants.

That's one of the primary reasons UPS got out of the fund -- they felt their employees (and future employees) weren't going to see the entirety of the contributions UPS was making on their behalf and they were subsidizing the retirements of orphaned beneficiaries. Additionally, they probably forecasted having to make additional contributions to "prop-up" the plan and cut the deal in 2008 to get out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: Teamsters Reach Tentative Agreements Covering 250,000 Workers At UPS, UPS Freight

... They will get a NO vote from me...

I don't think anyone saw that coming. :wink2:

That's OK, you're just the "Ball and Chain" the Teamsters have to deal with.

Maybe you should start coming up with conspiracy theories since you will be out-voted 4 - 1 on contract ratification.

bogeyball

Dear brothers. The company plan that is so much better was going to cost you 90 bucks a week. The parties found away to keep it free.

Nothing is free in this world.... you have to define the value, is it worth getting free coverage from a inferior system?
I know what works for me and has worked for me on the company plan. So now, isn't it conceivable that we may end up paying more for said free coverage?

pretender

From what I am hearing the health care plan is very close to the company plans in place now . It is not the C6 plan that central states has now but a substantial modification. Need to wait and see the printed page. We all have a vote we should use it when the time comes . From what I know we are getting a pretty good deal.

Well, that is encouraging...

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Nothing is free in this world.... you have to define the value, is it worth getting free coverage from a inferior system?
I know what works for me and has worked for me on the company plan. So now, isn't it conceivable that we may end up paying more for said free coverage?

My BA has informed me that the level of coverage is similar to what persons in company-controlled benefit plans currently enjoy. About half of us participated in a company plan, the other half in one of many union plans; allegedly we're all being rolled into a single, unified plan that will utilize economies of scale to produce results similar to the current company-controlled plans.

In any event, if we were offered the same coverage CS currently has, then yes, free coverage is better because what CS offers will still cost me SIGNIFICANTLY less than the $4680 UPS wanted from me to maintain previous coverage.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Please bagels what do u think inflation is at right now? And what is it historically over the long run?