Termination Help

I was doing different runs that week each day. That day was the only time I used that tractor. The driver who was assigned that tractor never said anything to me. I spent 18 years in feeder, never had a accident on road and I was charged two other times with an accident on property when I reported it to mgmt. I never fought their decision to charge me as our building was always weak on union representation. I hope this pkg car driver has the union backing him on this issue

clean hairy

I was doing different runs that week each day. That day was the only time I used that tractor. The driver who was assigned that tractor never said anything to me. I spent 18 years in feeder, never had a accident on road and I was charged two other times with an accident on property when I reported it to mgmt. I never fought their decision to charge me as our building was always weak on union representation. I hope this pkg car driver has the union backing him on this issue
Whoops! Sorry!
I was asking the OP if the Package car that had the damage was the same one he always drove, or if it was a different Package Car on the day the damage occurred.
I messed up by saying truck.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
about ten years ago as a dispatch feeder driver I noticed at the end of the day that on the side of the tractor cab there was a area where the paint was cracking. This wasn't there when I pre-trip the tractor and I know that the feeder driver who is assigned to this tractor would also take notice. I walked into the feeder manager office and asked him to come out and look at the issue. He took pictures of the tractor(the area of this cracked paint was maybe 3inch x 3inch). He thanked me for my honesty and said not to worry about it. A week later I get a call from a sup asking if I am coming to a 4 hour safety class or they are going to charge me with an accident. I said no way would I give up my Sat for this. They charged me with this , I didn't fight this because I was fairly new to this building in feeder and didn't want to cause waves. So much for honesty and how they repaired this so called accident was having the mechanic touch up the area with paint
man, you messed up and i hope you learned something. you fight everything and have a shop stew present in these situations.

iowa boy

I document any paint or body damage before I leave the building with my phone camera. It date and timestamps each photo to cover me if I am accused of damaging a vehicle. Was taught this by one of the "old guys" when I first started, and swear by it today.

Re-Raise

I document any paint or body damage before I leave the building with my phone camera. It date and timestamps each photo to cover me if I am accused of damaging a vehicle. Was taught this by one of the "old guys" when I first started, and swear by it today.
Good idea.. But I had to laugh at the "taught this by one of the old guys" part.

When I started we would have had to draw a picture of it, because there was no such thing as a phone camera.

How did I become one of the old, old guys?

Heinrich

I have a termination question. I was given a suspension letter for 3 days in JUNE, nobody told me I could/should grieve this, and since nobody mentioned anything regarding my suspension, I served it. When I returned everybody was freaking out saying oh no you should have grieved that, you weren't actually suspended and so on. I was then given a termination letter for 3 no call no shows. This was on june 28th. I have not missed any days since this ordeal. So now, a few months have passed, and I am just now being scheduled for my hearing. Obviously, since I was not informed of the attendance policy, and was sent a suspension letter by certified mail, things look pretty good for me and my long delayed hearing which is coming up.

I am a loyal employee for almost 3 yrs. I deal with all the BS, and keep my head down. I work in a smaller warehouse, that has been perpetually understaffed, and new hires rarely stay long enough to make seniority. We DO NOT have a steward on our shift, and our SUPS work more than they don't. The last time our center manager was in the warehouse during our shift was last winter. Needless to say, they do not quite do things by the book here.

My question, is what are some key things I should mention at my hearing?

upschuck

I have a termination question. I was given a suspension letter for 3 days in JUNE, nobody told me I could/should grieve this, and since nobody mentioned anything regarding my suspension, I served it. When I returned everybody was freaking out saying oh no you should have grieved that, you weren't actually suspended and so on. I was then given a termination letter for 3 no call no shows. This was on june 28th. I have not missed any days since this ordeal. So now, a few months have passed, and I am just now being scheduled for my hearing. Obviously, since I was not informed of the attendance policy, and was sent a suspension letter by certified mail, things look pretty good for me and my long delayed hearing which is coming up.

I am a loyal employee for almost 3 yrs. I deal with all the BS, and keep my head down. I work in a smaller warehouse, that has been perpetually understaffed, and new hires rarely stay long enough to make seniority. We DO NOT have a steward on our shift, and our SUPS work more than they don't. The last time our center manager was in the warehouse during our shift was last winter. Needless to say, they do not quite do things by the book here.

My question, is what are some key things I should mention at my hearing?
How did you know what 3 days to serve your time? In the letter, or did you just pick 3 days?

Heinrich

The suspension letter said the days to serve. Didn't hear anything about it for the three weeks leading up to the suspension, (from stewards, SUPS, center manager, etc), so I just served it. Since I was not even asked if I wanted to grieve this, was it a wrongful suspension?

upschuck

The suspension letter said the days to serve. Didn't hear anything about it for the three weeks leading up to the suspension, (from stewards, SUPS, center manager, etc), so I just served it. Since I was not even asked if I wanted to grieve this, was it a wrongful suspension?
Have you missed any days because of this termination? If so, should be an easy back pay win. They tell you what days you are suspended, you don't come to work those days in writing, then they try and fire you for not working those days. Unbelievable. I know they probably aren't used to it being that easy, but if nothing was discussed further, they don't have a leg to stand on.

If that were me, I'd probably have to tape my mouth shut at the hearing, or I'd get fired for all the snarky comments I'd make during the hearing.

Heinrich

I do have the letter. I have not missed any days since the termination letter upon return from suspension, because I was told that if I missed any days I would most certainly be fired and that I did not have my 3 in 13, until 13 weeks after the suspension. Initially I was told I would have my hearing within the following week. Did not hear anything for almost three months. Got a letter today saying my hearing is next week.

So you are saying it was a wrongful suspension? What about taking away my 'sick days'

What are some things I should mention during the hearing?

542thruNthru

I do have the letter. I have not missed any days since the termination letter upon return from suspension, because I was told that if I missed any days I would most certainly be fired and that I did not have my 3 in 13, until 13 weeks after the suspension. Initially I was told I would have my hearing within the following week. Did not hear anything for almost three months. Got a letter today saying my hearing is next week.

So you are saying it was a wrongful suspension? What about taking away my 'sick days'

You are bouncing around to much. Your suspension is already served. You can not grieve it now. You only had 10 days. Why did they terminate you? For 3 no call no shows right? The 3 days that you were suspended right?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

You should have representation at your hearing. Do what that person says.

Wait, have you been in touch with your BA?

fres431

3 yrs with company and you don't know how to handle this? Talk to a union rep if your record is as clean as you say it is union should eat this up.

Holydriver

I have a friend who was terminated today for failure to report an accident. The problem is when they came back from
Their route during their walk around they noticed some paint chip so they wrote it up. They came in the next day and was called in the office for an accident. They had no idea anything happened and still don't even understand. They drive through a lot of low areas and country roads with tree branches and large trees everywhere that may have scraped the truck but nothing out of the norm . They know this but still terminate the employee. What chance does he have in getting his job back. It's like they want him to confess to something he doesn't even know how it happen or if it was even him and they don't either. It seems like they want someone to blame. I wish I could help him but I was hoping to get advice here. Thanks
no one ever walked around a truck at the end of the day doing a post trip inspection. this fool knew what he did and thought he could skate