Terrible News, Bicyclist and Feeder Accident in NH

Overpaid Union Thug

Today I'm on a route that spends the majority of the day in an area that is very popular among cyclists. Right before I broke for lunch I saw one run a stop sign without even signalling. It was a 90 degree turn and they only slowed down enough so they that didn't lose control. I was thinking that maybe that's similar to what happened to the cyclist that was run over buy the feeder. Only that cyclist encountered another vehicle and didn't have time to correct her mistake.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Today I'm on a route that spends the majority of the day in an area that is very popular among cyclists. Right before I broke for lunch I saw one run a stop sign without even signalling. It was a 90 degree turn and they only slowed down enough so they that didn't lose control. I was thinking that maybe that's similar to what happened to the cyclist that was run over buy the feeder. Only that cyclist encountered another vehicle and didn't have time to correct her mistake.
The cyclists fault, eh? How many motor vehicles did you judge, today? Comparatively, how many motor vehicles DIDN'T you see run stop signs, red lights, yield the right of way, etc...??? I'm not trying to scold you, b_a_u, but many here including yourself, have a bent against cyclists and seemingly wait to see how they're gonna break the law.

Unfortunately there are cyclists that don't care about laws, just as there are motorists that feel the same way. I'm not a police officer, cannot issue citations, nor do I feel that dirty looks or angry words will stop these people. OUR job is to drive as safely as WE can to avoid these obstacles. Oh, and for all we know, the woman that died could've just found herself really close to the semi, got spooked and fell under the semi. Whatever the case, she died and all the rest involved are left to grieve. RIP, Cyclist.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It's pretty sad when "your" property is more important then someone else's life.

I feel sad for you.

I would say I appreciate your thought, but I'd be lying to you.

If someone has a death wish, then by all means , I will help grant it for them.

No one here is going to make me feel bad for being a dick. Period

Overpaid Union Thug

The cyclists fault, eh? How many motor vehicles did you judge, today? Comparatively, how many motor vehicles DIDN'T you see run stop signs, red lights, yield the right of way, etc...??? I'm not trying to scold you, b_a_u, but many here including yourself, have a bent against cyclists and seemingly wait to see how they're gonna break the law.

Ok I'll bite. Today I didn't see any motorists run stops signs, red lights, or fail to yield the right of way. That doesn't mean I wont tomorrow. I did see a couple of motorists speeding but not even by enough for most cops to stop them for it. I only saw 5 cyclists today. That's odd for the area I was working in. But anyway......as motorists most notice cyclists breaking the laws so easily because when they do so it directly affects us more than when a motorists breaks the law because for some odd reason the cyclists (in my area at least) seem much more willing and daring to break the rules than motorists are. I'm not sure but I think it's because of the false security some feel because they are riding a small and lighter weight bicycle instead of a huge vehicle that is so heavy. For that reason they think that its safer for them to run those stop signs and red lights. I also think that those that don't follow the rules and are so daring do because of someone, somewhere, has convinced them that once they place their tires on a road then that road is their world and the rest of us are just in it. And that's where they cocky attitude that many of them project towards people that are simply reminding them of the rules comes from. That's my take on the whole situation. It's gotten pretty bad in my area man. No joke. There have been numerous letters to the editor written to the local newspaper about it. Some were old ladies that had been cussed out by cyclists because they said something to them for running a stop sign. It was the same stop sign for both ladies. LOL!

I didn't say I thought the feeder accident was the cyclists fault. But based on the cyclists' behavior that I've seen in my area, as well as reports of it happening all over the country, along with the fact that UPS feeder drivers are known for being pretty darn safe, I couldn't help but wonder what I did. But honestly.....I don't have enough evidence to make that call. Those of us that have a problem with cyclists are only talking about the problematic ones. And I have the same attitude towards the same type of motorists too though. This thing with cyclists seems to have only started lately.

Unfortunately there are cyclists that don't care about laws, just as there are motorists that feel the same way. I'm not a police officer, cannot issue citations, nor do I feel that dirty looks or angry words will stop these people. OUR job is to drive as safely as WE can to avoid these obstacles. Oh, and for all we know, the woman that died could've just found herself really close to the semi, got spooked and fell under the semi. Whatever the case, she died and all the rest involved are left to grieve. RIP, Cyclist.

Your theory actually entered my mind as well. I don't rule that out at all. Just remember.....if you are one of the cyclists, or motorists for that matter, that follows the rules then none of my comments apply to you. :)

Indecisi0n

Riding against traffic on a bicycle, in the roadway/bike lane, is against the law. Bicycles are SUPPOSED to go in the same direction as motor vehicles. If you're that afraid of being hit, I suggest you use the sidewalk. If you use the sidewalk, you are allowed to travel in either direction, though I suggest you still ride WITH the traffic flow. MOST drivers pulling out onto roadways DO NOT look to the right for pedestrian or bicycle traffic, as they pull out onto the roadway. Another thought for you is, what happens when you're traveling against the flow of traffic in the bike lane and I'm coming toward you with the flow of traffic, at 22MPH??? Please rethink your position.

You make a good point about cars not looking to their right before pulling into traffic. I guess it just makes me nervous not knowing what is coming up behind me. I don't know if its a car, a huge speeding truck or cach!

There's been an article in our local paper about how on the north side of town they are going to spend $1.5 million on a mile and a half bike path separate but parallel to a N-S four lane thoroughfare. In the responding comments you only see two types of responses. 1) Those who think its a bad idea because the money could be better spent elsewhere, and 2) Those who think its a great idea with the inclusion of "because it will get the crazy riding bikers off the main road" along with the complaints seen here. The layman will look at this and see the common denominator "biker".

We can debate this till the cows come home but the root of the problems are that the few give a bad name to the all.

gingerkat

Just a litte FYI, it is against the law for bicycles to use the sidewalks where I live. Sidewalks are for pedestrians, period. Although casual cyclists do use the sidewalks and I've NEVER heard of anyone getting a ticket, it is extremely annoying as someone that used to jog for a bicycle to be coming up on you fast. I suppose that's why the city put all those annoying bike lanes in all the city streets around here?:wink2:

Overpaid Union Thug

There's been an article in our local paper about how on the north side of town they are going to spend $1.5 million on a mile and a half bike path separate but parallel to a N-S four lane thoroughfare. In the responding comments you only see two types of responses. 1) Those who think its a bad idea because the money could be better spent elsewhere, and 2) Those who think its a great idea with the inclusion of "because it will get the crazy riding bikers off the main road" along with the complaints seen here. The layman will look at this and see the common denominator "biker".

We can debate this till the cows come home but the root of the problems are that the few give a bad name to the all.

Things are pretty bad here. People are fed up so the idea of any alternate places for cyclists to ride would be welcomed with glee. But I'm sure many of them would just refuse to use it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Here the bike paths are only in a few areas and not practical if you really want to get somewhere. Most are more closed loop scenic rides, with the semi useful commuter paths still crossing major street traffic in many places. And it is also illegal to ride on the sidewalk here.