The Ballot mess!

Irishman Collins

Does anyone know if the I.B.T checks the information that they are receiving from the locals, as far as current or good standing members? In our area supervisors, retirees, leave of absence employees have been receiving ballots for the Ohio Rider. In addition, people who have received ballots in the past and have not changed addresses are not getting their ballots and some are receiving multiple ballots. I know of one guy who has received 3. Unbelievable!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Inthegame

Returned ballots are checked for eligibility. All IBT elections are subject to monitoring by the DOL. If indeed anyone ineligible gets a ballot, it will be challenged and not counted.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
Does anyone know if the I.B.T checks the information that they are receiving from the locals, as far as current or good standing members? In our area supervisors, retirees, leave of absence employees have been receiving ballots for the Ohio Rider. In addition, people who have received ballots in the past and have not changed addresses are not getting their ballots and some are receiving multiple ballots. I know of one guy who has received 3. Unbelievable!

Sent using BrownCafe App
Their ballots won't count if they aren't up to date on their dues. You know this.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

I'd return all 3 as a NO! JUST FOR SPITE

Sent using BrownCafe App

upschuck

Are you trying to lay groundwork for saying vote was rigged? If it didn't matter before, then why this time. Evidently, you think it will pass this time. I hope it does since all I heard that was wrong was the HC and 17i.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
Are you trying to lay groundwork for saying vote was rigged? If it didn't matter before, then why this time. Evidently, you think it will pass this time. I hope it does since all I heard that was wrong was the HC and 17i.
If it passes I'm going to rub it in non stop. Can't wait.

Irishman Collins

Can someone explain how the checks and balances work? How would the I.B.T know that a person is ineligible to vote if the locals records are incorrect? Example, if a part time employee becomes a supervisor within a week of paying his dues for the month and the local is showing him as current. How would the I.B.T. know different?

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They wouldn't.

I think a bigger problem for the union is the fact that only 20% or so of the qualified members actually bother to vote, and that is with everything done for them----all they have to do is fill in a few circles, assemble the ballot as shown and drop it in a mailbox. Everything is done for them (the postage is even paid) yet only 1/5 bother to vote. Can you imagine if they had to actually go to the union hall to vote?

Irishman Collins

Upstate, good point but my concern with this thread is the accuracy of the count. Also the DOL can only check the records based on the information they are given by the Union. Unless they want to take the time and get with U.P.S. to cross check the records. That just would take to much time and isn't sexy enough for the DOL. The DOL doesn't care about the accuracy of our contract count. They only care if they can find a story that would make the headlines. My point is there is no real checks and balances

Sent using BrownCafe App

Anonymous 12

Non active member
Upstate, good point but my concern with this thread is the accuracy of the count. Also the DOL can only check the records based on the information they are given by the Union. Unless they want to take the time and get with U.P.S. to cross check the records. That just would take to much time and isn't sexy enough for the DOL. The DOL doesn't care about the accuracy of our contract count. They only care if they can find a story that would make the headlines. My point is there is no real checks and balances

Sent using BrownCafe App
I just hope it passes.

upschuck

Can someone explain how the checks and balances work? How would the I.B.T know that a person is ineligible to vote if the locals records are incorrect? Example, if a part time employee becomes a supervisor within a week of paying his dues for the month and the local is showing him as current. How would the I.B.T. know different?

Sent using BrownCafe App

How many new sups are you talking about? If the count is within a couple votes then you have a beef, and a deeper digging is warranted. Let the process work itself out before you make accusations of an improper vote.

Irishman Collins

Another example upschuck, a driver who retires a week after he has paid his dues. Will show up as current. I can give multiple examples. The Ohio vote will most likely be decided with a slight majority, either way. That is why this issue is so important. This whole mess has really exposed a lot of issue's. I wonder if this is the first time in our Teamster history whereas a grass roots effort by the membership has taken place to fight a bad faith contract? For those of you that want to blame the T.D.U., I haven't seen one flier come from that organization or one T.D.U. leader out campaigning with Vote No guys. This is simply the membership standing up against bad faith bargaining in my opinion. This situation is unprecedented and ALL associated with it should feel ashamed.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upschuck

Another example upschuck, a driver who retires a week after he has paid his dues. Will show up as current. I can give multiple examples. The Ohio vote will most likely be decided with a slight majority, either way. That is why this issue is so important. This whole mess has really exposed a lot of issue's. I wonder if this is the first time in our Teamster history whereas a grass roots effort by the membership has taken place to fight a bad faith contract? For those of you that want to blame the T.D.U., I haven't seen one flier come from that organization or one T.D.U. leader out campaigning with Vote No guys. This is simply the membership standing up against bad faith bargaining in my opinion. This situation is unprecedented and ALL associated with it should feel ashamed.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I would think a retired employee would be deemed ineligible instantaneously, since they get a check from the union in most cases. When they get a check, they'd be off the vote list. As mentioned above, votes cast are checked against the eligible list.

What do you mean this situation is unprecedented? That people are voting that shouldn't be? This will probably be the most legitimate vote with the technical capabilities and oversight. Think about time 30 years ago when no computer check happened, and people got multiple ballots, or those not eligible got ballots, their vote would of counted.

Last edited:

Irishman Collins

407, then all retirees should get a ballot. Hell, honestly this contract is affecting them so why shouldn't they get to vote? If they got to vote this contract would of gone down throughout the country. They are getting royally#*#*# by this contract.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Anonymous 12

Non active member
407, then all retirees should get a ballot. Hell, honestly this contract is affecting them so why shouldn't they get to vote? If they got to vote this contract would of gone down throughout the country. They are getting royally#*#*# by this contract.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Listen if the guy paid his dues for March and worked the first week why shouldn't he be able to vote?? He would have to be a maroon to retire after the first week but he'd be current. If I was you I wouldn't worry so much. You aren't getting a carve out and you'll be in teamcare. A couple years down the road you won't know why you made such a stink about it.

Anonymous 12

Non active member

Sent using BrownCafe App
If you aren't Bubblehead are you out of Lima???