The big bang theory

El Correcto

god is dead
Most the time I go out of my way to be offensive on here, but you people walk around unironically believing these are good and moral things to harbor in your hearts. It’s kind of sick tbh.

It will be fine

What if?

What if you didn’t post specious arguments?

Forgot, that’s your apogee.
It’s a basic argument against, “If I’m right God will reward me, if I’m wrong no big deal, if you’re wrong you’re going to burn in hell for eternity!” That argument is easily dismissed with basic examination.

FromOffTheStreets

It’s a basic argument against, “If I’m right God will reward me, if I’m wrong no big deal, if you’re wrong you’re going to burn in hell for eternity!” That argument is easily dismissed with basic examination.
It actually comes from something called pascal's wager from a guy back in the 1600's. Not a very good tool for converting anyone, more of a philosophical argument.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
It actually comes from something called pascal's wager from a guy back in the 1600's. Not a very good tool for converting anyone, more of a philosophical argument.
Yes, the pay for the wager (belief) can only be known after death. Christians haven’t lost anything, even if wrong. Pascal said that when there is no absolute “proof” of something important, we choose to wager what is most reasonable to think, or do.
If someone tells you that your house is on fire, do you believe him? What are the stakes if you disregard the claim? Or do you investigate and respond accordingly?
If we “wager” (choose to believe) that God exists, and we are wrong, we lose nothing.
If we “wager” that God exists and we are correct, the payoff is inestimable. If we wager that there is no God and we are right, what have we gained – or lost? But if we “wager” there is no God, and we are wrong, we lose all.Even if the argument is not flawless, it leads to a position that beats all others.
We are “wagering” our eternal destiny in terms of our beliefs and behaviors.
Many find it a weak and unconvincing strategy; others (Pascal) held it to be the strongest avenue to faith.

vantexan

Yes, the pay for the wager (belief) can only be known after death. Christians haven’t lost anything, even if wrong. Pascal said that when there is no absolute “proof” of something important, we choose to wager what is most reasonable to think, or do.
If someone tells you that your house is on fire, do you believe him? What are the stakes if you disregard the claim? Or do you investigate and respond accordingly?
If we “wager” (choose to believe) that God exists, and we are wrong, we lose nothing.
If we “wager” that God exists and we are correct, the payoff is inestimable. If we wager that there is no God and we are right, what have we gained – or lost? But if we “wager” there is no God, and we are wrong, we lose all.Even if the argument is not flawless, it leads to a position that beats all others.
We are “wagering” our eternal destiny in terms of our beliefs and behaviors.
Many find it a weak and unconvincing strategy; others (Pascal) held it to be the strongest avenue to faith.
Heard Jerry Fowler say something similar. He was on Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect" many years ago. Said that if at the end of his life he found out there is no God his life would still have been immeasurably better because he had been a Christian.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
We all know the reason the vast majority reject God, and Christ, and it has to do with their proclivities.

Ignorance is bliss, until knowledge slaps you upside your head.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Most the time I go out of my way to be offensive on here
Lol... offensive? You never offend me you silly homo atheist.
Your attempt at personal attacks prove nothing but your immaturity and your lack of ability to engage in honest discussion.
I do see stupidity and fear.
What has always amazed me about you is your sense of reasoning when it comes to political issues and it’s like you turn into an idiot when discussing religion.
It’s real obvious why. That’s what makes what you spout so pitiful.