The Bigger Impact of the "Me First" Attitude on Everyone From Cell Phones to Lunches

trickpony1

Re: The Bigger Impact of the "Me First" Attitude on Everyone From Cell Phones to Lunc

What if a meteor crashed on your pkg car?

A planned day is a safe day....driver failed to check meteorological reports from NASA during his pre-trip.
Expect the unexpected.....driver failed to anticipate meteor shower.
and, alas, the classic......."methods".....driver failed to follow methods. Had he followed methods he wouldn't have been at that location at that precise time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Re: The Bigger Impact of the "Me First" Attitude on Everyone From Cell Phones to Lunc

Im just curious as to what kind of "agreements" people are making with management. You mentioned lunch times, what other agreements are being made?
Work area assignments, VLO's, etc...pretty much everything is negotiable if you play the hub politics.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

Very well written OP, I certainly hope many readers will contemplate the affect their actions have on other brothers and sisters in THEIR UNION!!

As to Upstates post about the COD customer. While I do understand your situation and your attempt at resolving it, I would suggest that you set a meet point with your customer. Some place that you are at everyday at the same time. He can show up there whenever he is expecting packages and take care of the entire transaction then and there. That way, your cover drivers would still be able to service the customer same as you.

I service a small town that is an hour drive from our center. Often times it is after 10:30 when I get to town, and after 1 or 2 before I get to the downtown area for some of the business deliveries, not to mention it could be 4pm before i get to some of the businesses in the rural area. If anyone in or out of town needs or wants a package erly, they all know I show up at the Wal-Mart at 11am. They show up there, I get their packages for them and we are all happy. It works for the cover drivers as well.

I have had customers ask me for things, Some are very good friends. I had a friend I have known for many years, We were friends before I was his service provider. He moved his office into my area and he was the only person there. He ran a service corporation and was gone more than he was there. He offered me the key to his office to leave his packages inside and lock up after myself. I respectfully denied. I did not want to be liable if something happened but I also knew it would be a problem for other drivers.

Being part of a collective, sometimes means we need to whats best for the group, even if it's not the best for ourselves!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Many of us have or had keys for businesses.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Im just curious as to what kind of "agreements" people are making with management. You mentioned lunch times, what other agreements are being made?

I would suggest you start a new thread for that question.
It should have lots of action.

SlowRide80k

My other one is Red Tag'd

Nice way to cover your @$$ but I doubt you use them in this example. So you are taking on the responsibility of locking up the guys store? What if something happens? If the lock malfunctions on the door and stuff is stolen. The UPS driver was the last person in the store. Too many things can go wrong here like said above whats the big deal about going back later on?

We have the keys to almost every movie theater in the area here. Electronic master keys for large apartment complexes and even peoples garage door combos stored in the board.

JDoe123

ad astra per aspera

Outta hours,
This is truly one of the most thought-provoking threads I have read on Brown Cafe.  Thank you.

JDoe123

ad astra per aspera

Nice way to cover your @$$ but I doubt you use them in this example. So you are taking on the responsibility of locking up the guys store? What if something happens? If the lock malfunctions on the door and stuff is stolen. The UPS driver was the last person in the store. Too many things can go wrong here like said above whats the big deal about going back later on?

That's a great point and I had that happen to me.  The customer gave me his key and it made my life easier, but one day I didn't shut the door hard enough and it didn't latch.  Who would've been responsible if somebody had burglarized the place?  Me.  He had security cameras all over the place and that's how he knew it was me who didn't shut the door.  I really struggle with this dilemma.  There's so many different angles from which to look at it.  The customer did not keep set hours and would be gone for days at a time.  What to do.  I know it's easy to say to put the problem on the customer.  Just be prepared to stand your ground, explain your situation and wait for the can of worms to explode.  I really don't know what I would do if I had the same situation today as this was years ago.  I would probably ask him to write out some kind of note that authorized me to leave his packages and have that put in my file at work, although a SDN says the same thing.  Hmm.

OptimusPrime

We have the keys to almost every movie theater in the area here. Electronic master keys for large apartment complexes and even peoples garage door combos stored in the board.

Does Fedex have a policy against entering key coded buildings, or is it just them cutting corners? Apartments I deliver to the Fedex guy just leaves a note on the door of the building, doesn't even attempt a delivery.

rocket man

Does Fedex have a policy against entering key coded buildings, or is it just them cutting corners? Apartments I deliver to the Fedex guy just leaves a note on the door of the building, doesn't even attempt a delivery.
acording to directive article 6 article 8 and 9 dated july 19th 1776 it could only be droped with a signature of a pen that has the spotted hoot owl feather on it, of . Fred S the first thought of that. i also heard (now im not sure if its true ) < the rest is.
he may have been the illegitment farther of our founder jim c.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think

In a perfect world everyone would realize there action have consequence for someone who does do everything right, by not cutting corners. Todays UPS that’s not the case there are more drivers today where its all about me than they are drivers that care about the drivers that follow them. They either don’t think about the consequences or don’t care.

I don’t think you will ever see Wildcat Strikes again like you saw in the 70’s and once in the 90’s. Where drivers would fight for each other, against being overly harassed. I'm bringing back the Wildcat. Tomorrow I'm organize a one day walk out against abusive management tactics and excessive overtime in my center. lol Yeah right, no chance of that happening.

upsman68

Don't forget gate codes to apartment complexes and neighborhoods