The Black Market Is Becoming The Dominate Marketplace

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was surprised it is only 9% of the market in the US.
The Black Market reduces the inefficiencies imposed by governments and provides goods and services at cheaper prices.

I usually ask for a cash/no receipt price when it seems appropriate. I expect I spend 3 - 4 thousand a year in these type of transactions.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just curious--other than your favorite Atlanta street corner, where else would these types of requests be appropriate?

These will give you a general idea.
I would welcome other examples of Black Market goods and services.

Various ways:
General house maintenance
Lawn Service
Gutter cleaning
House painting - interior and exterior
Pool cleaning-open up and close
On property Road maintenance
Electrical work
buying fresh vegetables on the side of the road
stringing tennis racquets
Sensor cleaning on my cameras
HVAC servicing
tour guide
Yard sales (quasi black market)
Used car (quasi Black Market)

PS - I don't have a fav Atlanta corner - in fact I rarely go into Atlanta

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UpState,
I forgot one:
ebay

My wife sells on ebay and she enjoys it ... but there are thousands of vendors selling new goods on ebay.

I but a lot of my photography stuff on ebay from Hong Kong and China at 50to 90 percent off retail prices in the US.

Some are out of the US too ... not many 90% off but many at 60% off.

bbsam

Staff member
Can I assume that a Fedex Ground driver being paid under the table an amount of $90 a day for 13 hours a day would be considered ok?

bbsam

Staff member
So there are no real standards? If I can find someone willing/desperate enough and my conscience doesn't bother me...anything goes?

av8torntn

So there are no real standards? If I can find someone willing/desperate enough and my conscience doesn't bother me...anything goes?

Why should you be allowed to decide the standards for someone else? Probably a more accurate question would be why do you hate the poor so much as to price them out of the labor market?

curiousbrain

Holy crap; 11 posts in a CE thread and moreluck hasn't come up with a leftist conspiracy yet. Give it time, you are all flaming commies and you just don't know it yet.

bbsam

Staff member
Why should you be allowed to decide the standards for someone else? Probably a more accurate question would be why do you hate the poor so much as to price them out of the labor market?

Actually, it has nothing to do with hate. It has to do withwhat the market will allow. Remember, I like all businesses exist to make a profit. Nothing personal.

av8torntn

Actually, it has nothing to do with hate. It has to do withwhat the market will allow. Remember, I like all businesses exist to make a profit. Nothing personal.

If it is not personal why do you want to price unskilled or entry level workers out of labor markets?

I had typed in a long reply about the relationships between wages and skills and the negative effects of government interventions in labor markets but honestly it's not worth it. I even went into income versus needs ratios for you. I'll stick to your type of arguments and continue with the why do you hate poor people so much?

bbsam

Staff member
If it is not personal why do you want to price unskilled or entry level workers out of labor markets?

I had typed in a long reply about the relationships between wages and skills and the negative effects of government interventions in labor markets but honestly it's not worth it. I even went into income versus needs ratios for you. I'll stick to your type of arguments and continue with the why do you hate poor people so much?
if you don't have an answer, just say so.

av8torntn

if you don't have an answer, just say so.

True I do not know why you hate poor people. I thought I made that clear when I asked you why you hated poor people. If I knew the answer I would not have asked the question as I know how evasive you are.

bbsam

Staff member
You see, in a perfect worl, libertarian ideas are an interesting concept. But how do you implement it? How do you get past the race to the bottom for wages? How do you get past fedex paying less than half in wages to get boxes delivered?

av8torntn

You see, in a perfect worl, libertarian ideas are an interesting concept. But how do you implement it? How do you get past the race to the bottom for wages? How do you get past fedex paying less than half in wages to get boxes delivered?

I would like to see your evidence that increases in minimum wages create prosperity. That's really what you're talking about, correct? Mandatory wages create prosperity is your claim, correct?

bbsam

Staff member
No. I am claiming the opposite. I am claiming that in a free market driven economy that for several decades at least, the wage market would be depressed because companies looking at quarterly profits would squeeze them from employees. Your claim seems to suggest that the lower wages would equal reduced customer satisfaction and drive skills and wages up. I think we have enough evidence to suggest that may not be the case and becomes less and less as technology reduces the necessary skill set. Or am I to believe that business will somehow become more concerned with their employees' well being? Whybwould they?

klein

Für Meno :)
I think every business started out of the black market actually, including Facebook, Apple and Microsoft.
In today`s world it`s almost impossible to start with taxes and regualtions.