The Disease Called "Premature Helperism"

rod

Retired 22 years
If I was told to only use a helper for 3 hours I would use them all day. I was terrible at following directions during peak.

KOG72

I’m full of it
I made the mistake of training a helper one year. He was great with the diad but the next day they pulled him from me. I never trained another helper since. The stops required for the helper were in his board before I even picked him up.
Thanks

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
I was given a helper sheet this morning with no info besides meet point. Who am I meeting? When am I meeting them? How long are they working? I have no clue how to use that phone. Oh well, faired much better just working by myself. They can keep their helper. I'd settle for a loader!

542thruNthru

I was given a helper sheet this morning with no info besides meet point. Who am I meeting? When am I meeting them? How long are they working? I have no clue how to use that phone. Oh well, faired much better just working by myself. They can keep their helper. I'd settle for a loader!

So instead of asking you made the helper sit at the meet point waiting for you all day?

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
Hopefully he's just acting tough and didn't make a helper that's only making minimum wage sit at a meet point waiting for him for no reason.

No, I called the helper supervisor, who told me he'd get me the info. He never answered, I left a message. Went on making deliveries. How much time should I have wasted chasing a ghost instead of working?

542thruNthru

No, I called the helper supervisor, who told me he'd get me the info. He never answered, I left a message. Went on making deliveries. How much time should I have wasted chasing a ghost instead of working?

So then you did ask and didn't just ignore the paper.

That was my question tough guy.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
So then you did ask and didn't just ignore the paper.

That was my question tough guy.

I'm no tough guy. I may be newer to UPS, but I did 17 years with Express. I have no time for management to not have their ish together. We don't even have half the helpers we need, nor drivers, loaders. I'd say I did the company a solid, working alone & getting the job done.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I'm no tough guy. I may be newer to UPS, but I did 17 years with Express. I have no time for management to not have their ish together. We don't even have half the helpers we need, nor drivers, loaders. I'd say I did the company a solid, working alone & getting the job done.
Every year I beg to not have a helper. Every year I'm told "you're getting a helper". Every year helpers quit after working with me. Every year I do less stops per hour than without a helper.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Premature Helperism strikes again in centers all across the states. Seems to only strike Management? Common signs are confusion along with no sense of reality as management cannot comprehend why having a helper before the route is dense never works? No matter how long you try to explain that the helper is sitting as you drive from area to area, all they will mutter is "but you have a helper"? Help fight this dreaded disease!
The best is when you find a person on your own to be your helper and HR effs up and drags out the process of actually getting them on your car.
Then when it is crunch time they will give you any :censored2: they can find

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Every year I beg to not have a helper. Every year I'm told "you're getting a helper". Every year helpers quit after working with me. Every year I do less stops per hour than without a helper.
Yep went thru 4 last year 2 already this year I have no time for BS if you slow US down you have to go

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have three helpers on my route this year, lucky me. I've had one on my car going on three weeks now. My first one assigned is on a cruise this week and the two-week experienced woman Preloader that replaced him moves faster. I keep this Helper on my car until I am done for the day, I don't look at suggested hours on a paper time card. Neither one of us have been trained on a Helper phone so I don't bother with it.

I got a PVD Driver to help about the same time. Her first two days she didn't show up because her DOT card wasn't ready. The third day she shows up finally and quit on the spot. They put her load on the wrong package car so I didn't witness this disaster in person. She took a tutorial online and drove up driving a tiny Lexus SUV that has practically no cargo room. The driver handed her 33 stops and a phone that she had no idea how to turn on. That did it, she was set up to fail with zero training from my management team. The Helper Co-ordinator had to drive out and shuttle her load to me so I delivered it. The next day my Center Manager and Shop Steward were able to actually train her after talking her into trying again. Except for the inability to handle large packages, she is starting to work out. When she gets through she tracks me down and takes more stops off me when she wants more work. That's fine with me, I'm happy to get through by six.

My third Helper hopefully got trained on my golf cart route today. I noticed the storage pod sitting in place yesterday and that huge subdivision was off my car today. I'm thinking about meeting all three of them at 11:00-11:30 at the golf cart pod and throwing the PVD Driver's stuff out there so she can load up multiple times and work out of it.

I only had seven hours of work on my route and I was forced to take my on-car helper today. We got through at 4:30 and I took guaranteed pay to drive home tonight.

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have three helpers on my route this year, lucky me. I've had one on my car going on three weeks now. My first one assigned is on a cruise this week and the two-week experienced woman Preloader that replaced him moves faster. I keep this Helper on my car until I am done for the day, I don't look at suggested hours on a paper time card. Neither one of us have been trained on a Helper phone so I don't bother with it.

I got a PVD Driver to help about the same time. Her first two days she didn't show up because her DOT card wasn't ready. The third day she shows up finally and quit on the spot. They put her load on the wrong package car so I didn't witness this disaster in person. She took a tutorial online and drove up driving a tiny Lexus SUV that has practically no cargo room. The driver handed her 33 stops and a phone that she had no idea how to turn on. That did it, she was set up to fail with zero training from my management team. The Helper Co-ordinator had to drive out and shuttle her load to me so I delivered it. The next day my Center Manager and Shop Steward were able to actually train her after talking her into trying again. Except for the inability to handle large packages, she is starting to work out. When she gets through she tracks me down and takes more stops off me when she wants more work. That's fine with me, I'm happy to get through by six.

My third Helper hopefully got trained on my golf cart route today. I noticed the storage pod sitting in place yesterday and that huge subdivision was off my car today. I'm thinking about meeting all three of them at 11:00-11:30 at the golf cart pod and throwing the PVD Driver's stuff out there so she can load up multiple times and work out of it.

I only had seven hours of work on my route today and I was forced to take my on-car helper today. We got through at 4:30 and I took guaranteed pay to drive home tonight.
I only had to deal with me at Peak and I had to get out early.