The future of Brown Cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldngray

nowhere special
Modding is difficult. I have always tried to be unbiased as possible whether I like a member or not. A person's view is always fine with me, I want to hear different sides of a story to be able to form a valid opinion on my own. It's the insults and behavior of members that get them thrown in the moderation queue line. Some people learn right away and some don't, I don't even remember why some are in there in the first place.
Worst part of modding is having to deal with the trolls

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Just for the XenForo software it goes from $60-$250 a month and I believe it's upwards of $300+ a year for server space to run a forum. Now there are free forum software out there I'm sure but this is not.
XenForo only costs monthly for a hosted license. Which, even if that is what the site currently uses, will not be what it uses post acquisition. A one off license may be purchased very reasonably.

Hosting can be far cheaper than 300 a year, or far more expensive. The one upside to less traffic is that less powerful servers are needed.

I would probably consider switching us over to an open source forum software in future, but for now as is, it wouldn’t be super expensive to keep things running as is.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
This is the situation in a nutshell.

We will be without an IT guy, and that will make us far more self sustainable.
So let’s do this. I’m serious. If you can run this thing, preserve the history, PM me a number. I’m either in or will rip your eyebrows off.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
So let’s do this. I’m serious. If you can run this thing, preserve the history, PM me a number. I’m either in or will rip your eyebrows off.
It’s a nice offer. I’ve got a million problems but money isn’t one.

As soon as you have multiple people involved, you end up with multiple possible points of failure.

I’m not interested in trying to focus on turning a profit here. I just want to keep the lights on.

MyTripisCut

It’s a nice offer. I’ve got a million problems but money isn’t one.

As soon as you have multiple people involved, you end up with multiple possible points of failure.

I’m not interested in trying to focus on turning a profit here. I just want to keep the lights on.
Same. If you need a silent monetary partner let me know. If not, say goodbye to your eyebrows.

Yea but you are from the hard times where men were men.. nowadays if I lose internet connection for more than 10 min , someone is dying
My wife just gave me the best answer ever.

I told her I started a threat if somebody wanted to donate money to keep this place going.
And yes we have a lot of people it said yes but lots of people said no but apparently they still want to post on here anyways.

My wife says I will give you 50 bucks so you can donate it to the Brown Cafe to keep it going.

Johney

XenForo only costs monthly for a hosted license. Which, even if that is what the site currently uses, will not be what it uses post acquisition. A one off license may be purchased very reasonably.

Hosting can be far cheaper than 300 a year, or far more expensive. The one upside to less traffic is that less powerful servers are needed.

I would probably consider switching us over to an open source forum software in future, but for now as is, it wouldn’t be super expensive to keep things running as is.
This site definitely uses XenForo just not sure if is a hosted license if that's what you mean.

MyTripisCut

My wife just gave me the best answer ever.

I told her I started a threat if somebody wanted to donate money to keep this place going.
And yes we have a lot of people it said yes but lots of people said no but apparently they still want to post on here anyways.

My wife says I will give you 50 bucks so you can donate it to the Brown Cafe to keep it going.
You shouldn’t threaten people online….

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
This site definitely uses XenForo just not sure if is a hosted license if that's what you mean.
It’s an important distinction. XenForo self hosted gives you a software library to put onto your own server.

The much more expensive hosted licenses also give you the server hosting. A package deal, albeit one with a massively outrageous markup.

Status
Not open for further replies.