The future of Brown Cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Yeah! Now we have @scratch and @over9five because that site went under! ;)
The first discussion board I joined was Teamsternet, "krash" was the UPS mod there. I found out later he was a driver in my Center. I think it lost funding or something, the postings got wild and they tried to run it as a pay site. That didn't work out.

I found Brown Cafe and it was free, I actually read the Terms of Service and liked them. I think most people don't and then seem shocked that we are trying to urge everybody to be a little more civil to each other here. I've only met in person about three members since I joined. I've always been puzzled by people on here that get upset with strangers that they will never meet.

542thruNthru

The first discussion board I joined was Teamsternet, "krash" the UPS mod there. I found out later he was a driver in my Center. I think it lost funding or something, the postings got wild and they tried to run it as a pay site. That didn't work out.

I found Brown Cafe and it was free, I actually read the Terms of Service and liked them. I think most people don't and then seem shocked that we are trying to urge everybody to be a little more civil to each other here. I've only met in person about three members since I joined. I've always been puzzled by people on here that get upset with strangers that they will never meet.
I thought T Net went down because of other reasons. I heard rumors of cease and desist order or something.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I thought T Net went down because of other reasons. I heard rumors of cease and desist order or something.
If I remember correctly, it was ran by a lawyer in Las Vegas. There were some legal issues that came up. You might be right about Teamsternet.

rod

Retired 22 years
The first discussion board I joined was Teamsternet, "krash" was the UPS mod there. I found out later he was a driver in my Center. I think it lost funding or something, the postings got wild and they tried to run it as a pay site. That didn't work out.

Just like trying to run BC now as a paid site would fail. UPS"ers are notoriously cheap and as for the FedEx guys chipping in---fa get about it.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I used to live on brown cafe (I wrote the stickied FAQ), but when the mobile app was taken down I went from spending everyday on here to just logging in once in a while until 2018 when I just stopped altogether.
Having a forum on an independent platform like a messageboard in 2022 is a bit outdated. I could see moving the site to an existing platform like Reddit, MeWe, Telegram or maybe even Discord. The best thing about BC is being able to speak freely without using your real name.

rod

Retired 22 years
Who knows…I wouldn’t put it past them to shut down some of the information pipeline before the contract.
I would think they would like this info pipeline. As a retired outsider now, if I was UPS watching BC, I would get the impression most the troops on here are afraid to strike so the advantage is on their side. JMO.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I would think they would like this info pipeline. As a retired outsider now, if I was UPS watching BC, I would get the impression most the troops on here are afraid to strike so the advantage is on their side. JMO.

Until they realize it's mostly retirees who are talking about being afraid of a strike and what it might do to their pension.

rod

Retired 22 years
Until they realize it's mostly retirees who are talking about being afraid of a strike and what it might do to their pension.
That is the stupidest thing I’ve heard in a long time. Why would I care one way or the other if you strike? A two or three week strike would not affect pensions.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I do remember a lawsuit involving T-net but I can't remember if that caused its final demise. I do remember they tried to make it a paysite. I tried to dig up some info on it but there is no mention of it on Wiki. A web search just turned up mentions of it on this site.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Having a forum on an independent platform like a messageboard in 2022 is a bit outdated. I could see moving the site to an existing platform like Reddit, MeWe, Telegram or maybe even Discord. The best thing about BC is being able to speak freely without using your real name.
Except Reddit sucks ass.

I used to live on brown cafe (I wrote the stickied FAQ), but when the mobile app was taken down I went from spending everyday on here to just logging in once in a while until 2018 when I just stopped altogether.
Holy hell
Long time no see.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I do remember a lawsuit involving T-net but I can't remember if that caused its final demise. I do remember they tried to make it a paysite. I tried to dig up some info on it but there is no mention of it on Wiki. A web search just turned up mentions of it on this site.

I think it had to do with a libel lawsuit from some business agent in Nashville.

Toward the end Teamster-net was a hot bed of bitter political bickering, most of the sane ones abandoned that circus once the clown show started. 🤡

Does anyone remember old “Scb” from T-net.. he was a real character ?

qdg2

That is the stupidest thing I’ve heard in a long time. Why would I care one way or the other if you strike? A two or three week strike would not affect pensions.
Not initially......

Most of your life has been lived.

Some of us have to look a little farther down the road. Taking in a "bigger" picture....

What'dyabringmetoday???

I think it had to do with a libel lawsuit from some business agent in Nashville.

Toward the end Teamster-net was a hot bed of bitter political bickering, most of the sane ones abandoned that circus once the clown show started. 🤡

I do. Thought he (?) knew everything..

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Uh-huh. You guys are always hyping the doom and gloom. "Don't strike! The company will bust the union!" Of course, the pensions will be in trouble if that happens, won't they?

over9five

Staff member

Don't remember him at all (Cackle!)

Status
Not open for further replies.