The Ghetto

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Because they are the worst houses on the block and no one else would live there. The owner probably doesn't want to invest in fixing up a house in this neighborhood, they'll never get their money back.

It's far from guaranteed rent every month. The only reason I know they're section 8 is because I did some research after seeing a household full of crap put on the street every few months.
the landlord receives a check from the dept of social services to cover the rent each month.

MAKAVELI

Please show me your peer reviewed data to back-up this anecdotal claim. I deliver in the "hood", and what I see every day are young men and women sitting at home playing XBOX all day long. Oh, I'm sure they're just trying to put food on the table in-between Madden games. Stereotypes exist for a reason, and that's because there are people that fit the parameters of them. I also deliver to good people that for whatever the reasons, have fallen victim to their own upbringings. They were raised this way, and many of them want to move out. I've heard a lot of people say this, but when you're brought-up to be lazy and have a poor work ethic, it's not an easy cycle to break. You say "most are actively looking for work or going to school/training." Where are these people you're commenting on? Certainly not the majority of lazy POS I see on a daily basis. :/
Are you with these people 24/7 ? No you are in there neighborhood for a short time delivering a box with a smile on it. You making your judgement on every person in the hood based on a few kids playing on a video game? Is that peer reviewed? You jump in on this topic and call everyone in the hood a POS ? Is that peer reviewed or your personal opinion of anyone that doesn't look or act like you? Stereotypes exist to justify racism. Plain and simple.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
the landlord receives a check from the dept of social services to cover the rent each month.
Not exactly man. The landlord gets the portion that the section 8 office pays... It's not the entire amount of the rent, and they don't get it when no one is living there. The two houses on my street will sit empty for a month or two at least between tenants.

I will say though that one of them has had the same guy for almost a year now.... hopefully he can afford to stay through the summer... his kid cuts my yard for practically nothing.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I was wondering when some one would play the race card. That always makes for an intelligent well thought out argument. I guess not liking welfare fraud makes me a non Christian racist. When are you going to throw in homophobe for good measure.

Marne Vet

Are you with these people 24/7 ? No you are in there neighborhood for a short time delivering a box with a smile on it. You making your judgement on every person in the hood based on a few kids playing on a video game? Is that peer reviewed? You jump in on this topic and call everyone in the hood a POS ? Is that peer reviewed or your personal opinion of anyone that doesn't look or act like you? Stereotypes exist to justify racism. Plain and simple.

Are you familiar with the people I deliver to every day? Do you have some magical insight into what I see with my own eyes on a daily basis? No, but you have the audacity to comment on it with nothing more than you're own conjecture. I call a large portion of the people in the "hood" pieces of S because that's what I see. My opinion is based on two decades of experience dealing with the same area, and I can absolutely judge a grown man that stays home every day smoking weed and playing his XBOX, and later that night I see him out drinking with his friends.

Funny how you also bring up racism. Racists usually do. I never mentioned what color the majority of the people I deliver to happen to be. The funny thing is, is that I'm the same color as most of the people I deliver to. I must be racist huh. Stereotypes exist for ALL, because there are people that fit them within every group. If there weren't these type of individuals stereotypes wouldn't exist. smh

MAKAVELI

I was wondering when some one would play the race card. That always makes for an intelligent well thought out argument. I guess not liking welfare fraud makes me a non Christian racist. When are you going to throw in homophobe for good measure.
When someone starts throwing theres a reason for stereotypes card they are labeling themselves as racist.

Marne Vet

When someone starts throwing theres a reason for stereotypes card they are labeling themselves as racist.

No, YOU are labeling them a racist to justify your stupid stance. There are stereotypes within my own race that I see every day at work that piss me off. Guess they're just hard working people who coincidentally fall into those awful stereotypes accidentally.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I for one never said Sec 8 in my life were bad renters. its a sliding scale in most places. I never said the projects, and they are still called projects here, were only for welfare recipients. Many people who have low incomes live there, such as students, until they get a job to support a better living situation. There is no shame in that. At all.
I dont judge anyone by where they live or how they look. I judge them by how they act. First impressions...........
We do have projects here that were totally destroyed by the people who lived there. They were replaced by cozy little townhouses, and are being destroyed. That is called respect. Someone gives me something, I appreciate it, some people are given things free, and do not appreciate it.

I never said anyone in these distressed areas were POS. There are POS everywhere.
I am only against the abusers of the system.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
FYI. There is a way to ignore what you don't want to hear. it is called an ignore button. I dont know how to use it as I like hearing opinions.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Are you familiar with the people I deliver to every day? Do you have some magical insight into what I see with my own eyes on a daily basis? No, but you have the audacity to comment on it with nothing more than you're own conjecture. I call a large portion of the people in the "hood" pieces of S because that's what I see. My opinion is based on two decades of experience dealing with the same area, and I can absolutely judge a grown man that stays home every day smoking weed and playing his XBOX, and later that night I see him out drinking with his friends.

Funny how you also bring up racism. Racists usually do. I never mentioned what color the majority of the people I deliver to happen to be. The funny thing is, is that I'm the same color as most of the people I deliver to. I must be racist huh. Stereotypes exist for ALL, because there are people that fit them within every group. If there weren't these type of individuals stereotypes wouldn't exist. smh

Give it up Marne Vet. You might as well be talking to a brick wall. I think he takes perverse pleasure in getting everyone stirred up.

Overpaid Union Thug

Oh my God people enough with the "you just hate poor people, they are just victims" nonsense. All of us that have commented about this were clearly directing our comments at those that are habitually poor as a result of their own lack of personal responsibility and those that are blatantly milking the system.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Oh my God people enough with the "you just hate poor people, they are just victims" nonsense. All of us that have commented about this were clearly directing our comments at those that are habitually poor as a result of their own lack of personal responsibility and those that are blatantly milking the system.

Uh oh. Now you're going to be labeled as racist, judgmental and ignorant. Hold onto your hat.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I for one never said Sec 8 in my life were bad renters. its a sliding scale in most places. I never said the projects, and they are still called projects here, were only for welfare recipients. Many people who have low incomes live there, such as students, until they get a job to support a better living situation. There is no shame in that. At all.
I dont judge anyone by where they live or how they look. I judge them by how they act. First impressions...........
We do have projects here that were totally destroyed by the people who lived there. They were replaced by cozy little townhouses, and are being destroyed. That is called respect. Someone gives me something, I appreciate it, some people are given things free, and do not appreciate it.

I never said anyone in these distressed areas were POS. There are POS everywhere.
I am only against the abusers of the system.
I'm not sure that you're directly talking to me, but since I brought up section 8, I'll respond and say I totally agree. The demolishing of the projects, and building of townhouses a few years later (that quickly went to hell) has happened here too in our inner city a few miles from where I live.

A vast majority of people who are given things free and don't appreciate them, were raised in a multi-generational culture of dependence. We can blame them, but it won't fix the problem. I usually save this kind of rhetoric for the current events forum, but the bottom line is that education is an economic issue.... and it's the only way to fight poverty. We as a country have failed the poor, not the other way around.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm not sure that you're directly talking to me, but since I brought up section 8, I'll respond and say I totally agree. The demolishing of the projects, and building of townhouses a few years later (that quickly went to hell) has happened here too in our inner city a few miles from where I live.

A vast majority of people who are given things free and don't appreciate them, were raised in a multi-generational culture of dependence. We can blame them, but it won't fix the problem. I usually save this kind of rhetoric for the current events forum, but the bottom line is that education is an economic issue.... and it's the only way to fight poverty. We as a country have failed the poor, not the other way around.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. All the education and government programs won't make a difference if the people don't WANT/CHOOSE to do better.

MAKAVELI

No, YOU are labeling them a racist to justify your stupid stance. There are stereotypes within my own race that I see every day at work that piss me off. Guess they're just hard working people who coincidentally fall into those awful stereotypes accidentally. Idiot.
Like I said stereotypes are used to justify racism. Maybe you should consider bidding on a different route if you think the majority of people on your route are stereotypical lazy POS. You might be happier on a route like this.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. All the education and government programs won't make a difference if the people don't WANT/CHOOSE to do better.
The problem is.... most children don't want to go to school and learn. They'd rather play xbox. I would have much rather played my atari or NES all day.... my parents made that impossible. So what about kids who don't have that influence? They grow up to be parents that don't give that influence.

I'd like to take all the credit for my work ethic, but it's all from my parents. What about the kids who don't have that taught to them.... we gotta break the cycle some way. How about we double the amount of teachers in this country, and for every teacher in a Title I school, we hire a social worker to help these kids AND their parents. It might not work right away but we gotta try something.

Marne Vet

Like I said stereotypes are used to justify racism. Maybe you should consider bidding on a different route if you think the majority of people on your route are stereotypical lazy POS. You might be happier on a route like this.

Exactly. Like "you" said. You're a racist. The only one trying to inject race [here] is you fella.

I actually like the trip I'm on. I don't mind the overwhelming amount of dirtbags I see every day because they keep me entertained. I'm very happy, but I'm glad to see you're concerned for my mental well-being. Is there anything else you'd like to interject? If all you're going to do is try and imply we're racist for acknowledging the fact that many scumbag people in the World fit stereotypes, of all colors and creeds, then you might as well move on. No one's buying your righteous rhetoric. Kinda funny though that you would imply I'm racist when I'm talking about my own race. Hilarious actually.