The Ghetto

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The problem is.... most children don't want to go to school and learn. They'd rather play xbox. I would have much rather played my atari or NES all day.... my parents made that impossible. So what about kids who don't have that influence? They grow up to be parents that don't give that influence.

I'd like to take all the credit for my work ethic, but it's all from my parents. What about the kids who don't have that taught to them.... we gotta break the cycle some way. How about we double the amount of teachers in this country, and for every teacher in a Title I school, we hire a social worker to help these kids AND their parents. It might not work right away but we gotta try something.

Totally agree. With most everything. I know some wonderful teachers, but if you dont have the parents driving their children, there you hit a brick wall. Even in the 70-90s when I was raising children, there were people who didnt care enough to show up, for parent teacher meetings. To see what their kids were doing/learning. There is the rub. It was always an exciting night for us. A day off school, Pizza Hut, free pizza for all the books they read, etc. It was important, now, more than then, that is important.
I cringe when I deliver home schooling materials. IMO racist/ poor people hating opinion, some of them do this to their children, just so they dont have to get them up, and ready for school.
Home schooling is a great new venue, but if you are in your pajamas with a beer in one hand and a joint in the other at 3pm, you probably shouldn t be home schooling. But at least you will have free internet. Then 6 mths later, I try to retrieve the stuff, and its all in a heap on the sidewalk with the rest of the stuff. Yes your tax dollars at work.

MAKAVELI

Exactly. Like "you" said. You're a racist. The only one trying to inject race [here] is you fella.

I actually like the trip I'm on. I don't mind the overwhelming amount of dirtbags I see every day because they keep me entertained. I'm very happy, but I'm glad to see you're concerned for my mental well-being. Is there anything else you'd like to interject? If all you're going to do is try and imply we're racist for acknowledging the fact that many scumbag people in the World fit stereotypes, of all colors and creeds, then you might as well move on. No one's buying your righteous rhetoric. Kinda funny though that you would imply I'm racist when I'm talking about my own race. Hilarious actually.
Glad to here the stereotypical lazy POS people on your route keep you entertained. You don't sound happy. You sound like an angry person with a chip on your shoulder. But hey, maybe that's just stereotypical of your race.

Marne Vet

Glad to here the stereotypical lazy POS people on your route keep you entertained. You don't sound happy. You sound like an angry person with a chip on your shoulder. But hey, maybe that's just stereotypical of your race.

*Hear

I don't "sound" happy? Odd. Thought all you could do was read my text. I didn't realize you could hear me. Maybe you're reading aloud and confusing the angry sounds that are resonating from within? Food for thought.

You've lost any credibility you might've had at the beginning of this topic when you started interjecting racism as a means to devalue our personal experiences with the stereotypes we encounter daily. I don't mind the clever-less attempts at insulting me with another reference to race in your reply. It shows the caliber of person we're dealing with.

MAKAVELI

*Hear

I don't "sound" happy? Odd. Thought all you could do was read my text. I didn't realize you could hear me. Maybe you're reading aloud and confusing the angry sounds that are resonating from within? Food for thought.

You've lost any credibility you might've had at the beginning of this topic when you started interjecting racism as a means to devalue our personal experiences with the stereotypes we encounter daily. I don't mind the clever-less attempts at insulting me with another reference to race in your reply. It shows the caliber of person we're dealing with.
Just a POS as you put it. Credibility? You think posting on an anonymous forum gives you credibility? Lol , that's a good one. Just a word of advice. Treat people how you want to be treated. Delivering out in the hood, you just might need one of those stereotypical POS help one day.

Marne Vet

Just a POS as you put it. Credibility? You think posting on an anonymous forum gives you credibility? Lol , that's a good one. Just a word of advice. Treat people how you want to be treated. Delivering out in the hood, you just might need one of those stereotypical POS help one day.

What does the relationship between being anonymous, or using your actual name have to do with coming across as a credible person? You're judged by what you write, and not by the name you sign under it.

"Just a word of advice" by a guy that does nothing but assume everything and try and interject racism as a way to ignore the reality of stereotypes? You're assuming once again that I treat these scumbags any differently. Even the guy who's smoking weed and playing his XBOX all day gets called "sir" when he opens the door. Why? Because he's a customer. I don't have to agree with his lazy lifestyle, but I have to respect him as a customer. Yes sir, yes ma'am, thank you sir, thank you ma'am, and have a good day. Words that echo throughout my day.

You might be posting anonymously on this site, but how you express yourself, and conduct yourself shows the true measure of the individual behind that keyboard.

Sincerely,

Abraham Lincoln.

FilingBluesFL

OutOfGas.jpg
Many pan handlers will brag about they can beg for a couple of hours, make a couple of hundred dollars, then call it a day. And many are scammers. My favorite was the guy with a gas can begging for money because he ran out of gas. I knew which company on my route he stole that gas can from.

You must work in the same town as me, got one of those guys... he's been out of gas for two months already!

lol

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Friendly reminder: Please be tolerant and respectful of one another.

BrownCafe operates on an honor system. Our intention is to maintain a fair and reasonable forum and facilitate legitimate, reasoned debate about the issues raised. Registered members are offered the privilege of freely posting on this site with the understanding that they are bound by their honor to observe our House Rules and Terms of Service and will therefore not abuse the trust placed in them.

Discussion can be animated, which is fine, but we do not welcome personal attacks, on- or off-board. Derogatory, insulting, or belittling statements, directed at other members as well as direct or indirect personal attacks are not permitted on our forum.

It is fine to disagree with a different viewpoint, but please limit this to challenging the idea and not make your comments a personal challenge or make derogatory personal comments about individuals or their choices or circumstances, which disparage their ideas, opinions, their occupation or their personal situation. These examples are not exhaustive. Insulting or disparaging another member is a personal attack regardless of the manner in which it is done. These offensive comments are contrary to the spirit of legitimate, reasoned debate and damaging to the purpose of our community.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
So this bid I decided to stop covering (swing to some of you) and take a bid route. It's in the city and the resi stuff is in supposedly the worst area of the city.

I'd like to hear from some who have delivered in bad areas, what it's like, what you do differently on that type of route, etc.

One guy was telling me when he got around a group of scary people in the ghetto he'd start talking to himself, acting like he was arguing with the ground and people stayed away from him thinking he was crazy.

Finally started my first bid route today. Man, talk about a culture shock. Going from delivering in the woods to office buildings and ghetto residential.

Feels great to have my own route and not be cover anymore, but I'll definitely miss some of the cushy routes I used to run.

overflowed

I loved working the ghetto. There is no other place the day goes by so quick. Just so much to look at. Once had a crackhead try to use the truck as cover to take a :censored2: on the sidewalk. Suffice to say, I waited till he started and took off.