The Ghetto

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Nothing good comes from anything, when people cannot have an adult discussion. See who cast the first stone.................
It was going fine before those two chimed in...

Agreed, but it's getting really nasty.

A golf forum I belong to has a Politics and Religion section that threads like this get thrown into when they start to get nasty.
Kinda like Current Events here.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So this bid I decided to stop covering (swing to some of you) and take a bid route. It's in the city and the resi stuff is in supposedly the worst area of the city.

I'd like to hear from some who have delivered in bad areas, what it's like, what you do differently on that type of route, etc.

One guy was telling me when he got around a group of scary people in the ghetto he'd start talking to himself, acting like he was arguing with the ground and people stayed away from him thinking he was crazy.
Now back on topic. You will be fine. Keep your nose clean, smile a pretty smile, check all four sides of your vehicle, especially in front.
Tomorrow is the first. It will be an eye-opener. You will see more jammies and slippers in the stores, worn by adults than you would see at an all nite skate in. and marijuana and gun fire in the air. It is just awesome to see people having so much fun. Let us know how it goes. :notalone:And feel happy that you help the needy. Btw the needy will sheepishly pull out their card, to pay for some meager purchases, the rest will run you over with their cartloads.

oldngray

nowhere special
tumblr_lzj2jyn9jJ1r63hf8o1_500.jpg

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Because some people simply choose to live in the projects for the cultural diversity and ambience....lol
In most places, "The Projects" aren't the same as they used to be. We used to have apartment buildings that were full blown projects, but they have all been demolished. We've moved to a Section 8 system. People will refer to neighborhoods as "the projects", but it's really just gov't subsidized housing. People on public assistance living side by side with people who aren't.

Ive got two houses on my street which seem to almost exclusively rent to section 8 people.... and yes I do choose to live here.

MAKAVELI

In most places, "The Projects" aren't the same as they used to be. We used to have apartment buildings that were full blown projects, but they have all been demolished. We've moved to a Section 8 system. People will refer to neighborhoods as "the projects", but it's really just gov't subsidized housing. People on public assistance living side by side with people who aren't.

Ive got two houses on my street which seem to almost exclusively rent to section 8 people.... and yes I do choose to live here.
You must be a lazy, welfare accepting, thug with a gold grill, and a Mercedes with 22s according to some on this thread.

Marne Vet

I don't think you understand that verse. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Is another quote from Jesus condemning those on earth who would judge their fellow sinners. No stones were cast. Which is my point. It's not your place or mine to pass judgement on anyone, if that's what you believe in. "Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord."

Also it's spelled "you're". Like "you are."

Like I said, I'm far from a good christian. Or even a good person. But when you go to college they make you study old books, the Bible is one of them.

If you're going to correct someone's grammar, then let me correct you on your cherry-picking use of the Bible. One, it's an outdated fairytale with zero proof "Jesus" even existed, which even the Church begrudgingly acknowledges. Hence why you use a fancy word called "faith" to describe a child-like mentality of believing in a deity. No different than believing in Zeus, Osiris, Thor, etc. It's by no means a moral guide in today's World. Your "book" condones slavery, killing your kids if they don't listen to you, and stoning your wife on your wedding night if you find out she's not a virgin for starters. I wonder how many guys [here] married virgins. Show of hands? Exactly. One of the most ignorant things a person can do is quote bible verses. It would be like my 11 y/o trying to give me a moral compass by quoting Dr. Seuss. I'll respect your ridiculous belief in a Sky Wizard when you stop throwing the silliness around on this forum. I too went to college, and I studied many religions. Not just the indoctrinated one I was raised in. I can tell you with absolute certainty that a Divine being wasn't behind the Bible. We know from history that the New Testament is a hand picked group of unknown authors that all contradict one another. 55,000+ direct contradictions to be more accurate. Constantine authorized many "edits" and known forgeries to this supposed Omnipotent beings "good word". How can anyone take a book like this seriously with all we know about how it was created?! Seriously? Iron Age thinking, with some good points in it that people always love to cherry-pick, but if you believe in the good parts of that book, you have to believe in the bad if it's your deities "word". So please, enough with the Mother Goose quotes.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You must be a lazy, welfare accepting, thug with a gold grill, and a Mercedes with 22s according to some on this thread.
You know it :).
Nah, just an overworked UPS part timer living paycheck to paycheck waiting for the call up to the big leagues.... funny thing is the single mom who lives next door to me works at Fed Ex. We all gotta get by some how. If I lost my job I could be one of those freeloaders taking section 8 housing assistance within a month. God bless the teamsters, I at least get a small sense of job security.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

And why do they rent exclusively to Section 8 people? It's called guaranteed rent every month...paid for by our taxes, I might add.

Marne Vet

It is society's job to help those help themselves. Not everyone who receives assistance is sitting at home waiting for a check. Most are just trying to put food on the table and a roof over their heads. Most are actively looking for work or going to school/training. So why stereotype people who are on public assistance?

Please show me your peer reviewed data to back-up this anecdotal claim. I deliver in the "hood", and what I see every day are young men and women sitting at home playing XBOX all day long. Oh, I'm sure they're just trying to put food on the table in-between Madden games. Stereotypes exist for a reason, and that's because there are people that fit the parameters of them. I also deliver to good people that for whatever the reasons, have fallen victim to their own upbringings. They were raised this way, and many of them want to move out. I've heard a lot of people say this, but when you're brought-up to be lazy and have a poor work ethic, it's not an easy cycle to break. You say "most are actively looking for work or going to school/training." Where are these people you're commenting on? Certainly not the majority of lazy POS I see on a daily basis. :/

MAKAVELI

You know it :).
Nah, just an overworked UPS part timer living paycheck to paycheck waiting for the call up to the big leagues.... funny thing is the single mom who lives next door to me works at Fed Ex. We all gotta get by some how. If I lost my job I could be one of those freeloaders taking section 8 housing assistance within a month. God bless the teamsters, I at least get a small sense of job security.
FedEx could definitely use the job security you guys have. As I'm sure you have heard from your neighbor.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
And why do they rent exclusively to Section 8 people? It's called guaranteed rent every month...paid for by our taxes, I might add.
Because they are the worst houses on the block and no one else would live there. The owner probably doesn't want to invest in fixing up a house in this neighborhood, they'll never get their money back.

It's far from guaranteed rent every month. The only reason I know they're section 8 is because I did some research after seeing a household full of crap put on the street every few months.