The Ghetto

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So your argument is what? Stopsperhour has no moral ground to stand on because he's not in a soup kitchen right now? I mean, how does one argue against such ironclad reasoning except to say what he did?
Forget the soup kitchen. I'm talking about his accusation that I was generalizing people on welfare as milking the system. I asked him to show me a post of mine where I did that and he couldn't...hence foot in mouth.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I was in Walmart a few months back.....I get approached by a young, able bodied white guy in his 20's. He says, excuse me Miss, are you paying cash for your items today? Me: Why? Well, I was thinking you could use my EBT card to pay for your food, and you can give me the cash...I really need money to do my laundry. He's wearing expensive looking Nike sneakers...and has an Iphone in his hand. Me: Dude, are you *****kidding me right now??

Don't get it twisted...I don't believe that anyone who lives in this country....where so much perfectly good food is thrown out everyday (if you've ever worked in a restaurant, you know what I mean), should ever go hungry. If a homeless guy asks me for money, I will usually offer to buy them something to eat. But I learned a long time ago...I never give out cash, not even spare change, and no i don't have an extra cigarette.
We look to c how they're dressed too. Tons of pan handlers around where I am. I only give cash to 1 legged Paul. He's got "his"corner, stand there with a sign. I know it's beer $, but idk, feel bad for the guy

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We look to c how they're dressed too. Tons of pan handlers around where I am. I only give cash to 1 legged Paul. He's got "his"corner, stand there with a sign. I know it's beer $, but idk, feel bad for the guy
It's your money....you distribute it how you see fit..we all have our reasons.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Forget the soup kitchen. I'm talking about his accusation that I was generalizing people on welfare as milking the system. I asked him to show me a post of mine where I did that and he couldn't...hence foot in mouth.

Because many welfare lifers like to brag about how they're milking the system. It's not a state secret, almost everyone knows someone like that. It doesn't take 20 years to find a job.
The definition of generalization is: "a general statement or concept obtained by inference from specific cases." In other words, "I know someone who is on welfare and loudly games the system. Therefore, "many welfare lifers like to brag about how they're milking the system." Almost everything I've seen on here is anecdotal pieces like "I know someone whose on food stamps and doesn't want a job. So I'm going to live my life assuming everyone on food stamps is lazy." I got my hours gashed one year from 35/wk. to 9/wk. and seriously considered applying for housing assistance. I most likely would have, had a friend not helped me out instead until I could get a new job with more stable hours. Luckily I was single and didn't have any mouths to feed besides my own. Others are not so lucky.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
Many pan handlers will brag about they can beg for a couple of hours, make a couple of hundred dollars, then call it a day. And many are scammers. My favorite was the guy with a gas can begging for money because he ran out of gas. I knew which company on my route he stole that gas can from.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The definition of generalization is: "a general statement or concept obtained by inference from specific cases." In other words, "I know someone who is on welfare and loudly games the system. Therefore, "many welfare lifers like to brag about how they're milking the system." Almost everything I've seen on here is anecdotal pieces like "I know someone whose on food stamps and doesn't want a job. So I'm going to live my life assuming everyone on food stamps is lazy."
"many" does not mean "all" or even "most". And frankly, accordingly to that definition, you generalized a college education....after you felt the need to mention that you attended college. Not everyone who went to college had to study the Bible. Does it make you feel good to correct IVE's incorrect usage of "your"? Does that make you feel smart? Would you like a little tidbit of reality? Maybe he didn't go to college, and you and I both have degrees?? He probably makes more money than either of us... chew on that...how's that taste? Lol

Last edited:

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
"many" does not mean "all" or even "most". And frankly, accordingly to that definition, you generalized a college education....after you felt the need to mention that you attended college. Not everyone who went to college had to study the Bible. Does it make you feel good to correct IVE's incorrect usage of "your"? Does that make you feel smart? Would you like a little tidbit of reality? Maybe he didn't go to college, and you and I both have degrees?? He probably makes more money than either of us... chew on that...how's that taste? Lol
Well I don't have a degree and that's fine that Ive makes what he makes. You'll never hear anyone more upset about the destruction of blue-collar work than me, so good for those still in one of the last good blue-collar jobs. After about 2 years I discovered college wasn't my cup of tea and I'm down to taking about one class per semester because I work for a company that pays for it. I never claimed to be smarter than anyone.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well I don't have a degree and that's fine that Ive makes what he makes. You'll never hear anyone more upset about the destruction of blue-collar work than me, so good for those still in one of the last good blue-collar jobs. After about 2 years I discovered college wasn't my cup of tea and I'm down to taking about one class per semester because I work for a company that pays for it. I never claimed to be smarter than anyone.
And if you reread my post, I never accused you of claiming you were smarter. If you only have 2 years left, and ups helps pay your tuition, why not finish? I don't regret going, I regret not continuing. It would've been better than humping cardboard...lol.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Erm for the couple of people now saying the participants of my derailed thread are writing that poor people suck...I'm not sure how you arrived there...I've seen people posting that some abuse low income assistance but I haven't seen anyone bashing someone simply because they are of limited means. I try to help out folks who need it and have volunteered several times in neighboring communities. I'd probably give someone the shirt off my back if they needed it (or mugged me for it on my new route), but I am among those who are annoyed when people are lazy and won' be a productive part of our society if they are able to be.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

MAKAVELI

Erm for the couple of people now saying the participants of my derailed thread are writing that poor people suck...I'm not sure how you arrived there...I've seen people posting that some abuse low income assistance but I haven't seen anyone bashing someone simply because they are of limited means. I try to help out folks who need it and have volunteered several times in neighboring communities. I'd probably give someone the shirt off my back if they needed it (or mugged me for it on my new route), but I am among those who are annoyed when people are lazy and won' be a productive part of our society if they are able to be.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app
Karma is the great equalizer. There are people from all walks of life that abuse the system, not just the poor. These people one way or another will eventually have to pay for it. That's why I don't concern myself with those types of people. But there are people that genuinely need help to get themselves on their feet and they shouldn't be bashed on or ashamed for accepting help. There are a lot of circumstances in life why someone would need assistance. Life is not black and white.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The definition of generalization is: "a general statement or concept obtained by inference from specific cases." In other words, "I know someone who is on welfare and loudly games the system. Therefore, "many welfare lifers like to brag about how they're milking the system." Almost everything I've seen on here is anecdotal pieces like "I know someone whose on food stamps and doesn't want a job. So I'm going to live my life assuming everyone on food stamps is lazy." I got my hours gashed one year from 35/wk. to 9/wk. and seriously considered applying for housing assistance. I most likely would have, had a friend not helped me out instead until I could get a new job with more stable hours. Luckily I was single and didn't have any mouths to feed besides my own. Others are not so lucky.

Karma is the great equalizer. There are people from all walks of life that abuse the system, not just the poor. These people one way or another will eventually have to pay for it. That's why I don't concern myself with those types of people. But there are people that genuinely need help to get themselves on their feet and they shouldn't be bashed on or ashamed for accepting help. There are a lot of circumstances in life why someone would need assistance. Life is not black and white.

Don't you two think that if we wanted a sermon, that we would go to church and get one from a qualified minister/priest/whatever. You both read this thread and neither of you grasped what we were talking about. No one was downing poor people. We were downing the people who ABUSE the welfare system, aka, the people with fancy cars in front of their houses, buying lobster with food stamps, etc. I would be surprised if either of you grew up poor. People who grew up poor, and do well usually don't have patience for those lazy people who CHOOSE to stay that way, because unless you are handicapped in some way it IS a choice. All the government programs in the world can't fix lazy.

And Johnny Paycheck, you might want to check yourself the next time you decide it's also your job to be grammar police, because you too made a mistake. And this is coming from someone with NO college. "I know someone WHO'S (as in, who is) on food stamps.....

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This whole thread is about dumping on the poor and the ghettos. It's funny that most on here would show their gratitude and honor someone in a military uniform, but turn their nose up to a homeless veteran on the street corner without even knowing it. Why? Because they already formed an opinion of someone before they even get within 20 feet of someone.

Who are you to say what anyone is thinking, much less doing? You have NO idea what these people on this forum do on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. For all you know, they are volunteering at a soup kitchen weekly, or donating half their money to an abused women's shelter. Talk about generalizing.....

MAKAVELI

Don't you two think that if we wanted a sermon, that we would go to church and get one from a qualified minister/priest/whatever. You both read this thread and neither of you grasped what we were talking about. No one was downing poor people. We were downing the people who ABUSE the welfare system, aka, the people with fancy cars in front of their houses, buying lobster with food stamps, etc. I would be surprised if either of you grew up poor. People who grew up poor, and do well usually don't have patience for those lazy people who CHOSE to stay that way, because unless you are handicapped in some way it IS a choice. All the government programs in the world can't fix lazy.

And Johnny Paycheck, you might want to check yourself the next time you decide it's also your job to be grammar police, because you too made a mistake. And this is coming from someone with NO college. "I know someone WHO'S (as in, who is) on food stamps.....
Actually I did grow up poor and saw very little of the abuses mentioned in this thread. The people with nice things in my area were either hard working and had a good job(VERY FEW where I grew up) or drug dealers. But the majority on assistance lived in run down apartments, wore thrift shop clothes, and had government cheese in the fridge. Hardly living the life. I think it's just popular to jump on the bash welfare and the people who receive it bandwagon. There are lazy people in every walk of life and financial level.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Actually I did grow up poor and saw very little of the abuses mentioned in this thread. The people with nice things in my area were either hard working or drug dealers. But the majority on assistance lived in run down apartments, wore thrift shop clothes, and had government cheese in the fridge. Hardly living the life. I think it's just popular to jump on the bash welfare and the people who receive it bandwagon. There are lazy people in every walk of life and financial level.

I'm sure everyone here would like to be lazy, but they realize that being lazy keeps you down, therefore they work. I'm not bashing welfare and the people who receive it. I think it's a great safety net for people who fall on hard times due to no fault of their own. They are the ones who are usually embarrassed to use it and use it for as short a period as possible. I have no problem with my tax money being used to help them. God bless you, and I hope things get better. I'm bashing the people who CHOOSE to use it as an easy way to live. Hell, I would love to sit my butt at home, watching Judge Judy, waiting for a check to come, but I have too much pride and I am instilling that in my children too. It's not society's job to take care of us, it's OUR job to take care ourselves. Period.

MAKAVELI

I'm sure everyone here would like to be lazy, but they realize that being lazy keeps you down, therefore they work. I'm not bashing welfare and the people who receive it. I think it's a great safety net for people who fall on hard times due to no fault of their own. They are the ones who are usually embarrassed to use it and use it for as short a period as possible. I have no problem with my tax money being used to help them. God bless you, and I hope things get better. I'm bashing the people who CHOOSE to use it as an easy way to live. Hell, I would love to sit my butt at home, watching Judge Judy, waiting for a check to come, but I have too much pride and I am instilling that in my children too. It's not society's job to take care of us, it's OUR job to take care ourselves. Period.
It is society's job to help those help themselves. Not everyone who receives assistance is sitting at home waiting for a check. Most are just trying to put food on the table and a roof over their heads. Most are actively looking for work or going to school/training. So why stereotype people who are on public assistance?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It is society's job to help those help themselves. Not everyone who receives assistance is sitting at home waiting for a check. Most are just trying to put food on the table and a roof over their heads. Most are actively looking for work or going to school/training. So why stereotype people who are on public assistance?

Your reading comprehension sucks! I already told you that I have no problem helping people who NEED the help. I have a problem helping people who expect it as their due.