The Golden Arches are falling.

oldngray

nowhere special
Fast Food joints have always been considered as entry level jobs.
This is where one learns how to exist with in a corporate structure and build up their experiences.
But with some many joints closing nation wide, many will not be getting their chance.
It was never meant to be a living wage job you can support a family on.

Thebrownblob

MAGA Man : "You see that box sitting there? I want $40+ an hour just to pick it up here, haul it over there and put it down someplace else But I expect that kid over here to cook and serve me my supper for pennies".
And yet you’ve done nothing to help make sure people don’t make pennies and I have.

Box Ox

And you think you deserve $50/hr to carry an Amazon box to some ones front door?
That's MAGA mentality for you. "I'm worth what I get because my union can get it for me but the kid who's waiting on me hand and foot isn't worth what he's getting".
Good grief, being in the union is now Maga mentality? You truly are ruined by this man. He has broken you in every way possible I feel sorry.
MAGA Man : "You see that box sitting there? I want $40+ an hour just to pick it up here, haul it over there and put it down someplace else But I expect that kid over here to cook and serve me my supper for pennies".

I see what you're getting at. But is it unreasonable for pay expectations to be based more on what a company or organization can pay while still remaining profitable than on the nature of the work itself?

rod

Retired 22 years
This is what happens when you pay someone over $18 an hour to flip burgers and then forget to put the fries in your bag or forget your kids chicken nuggets. Incompetent, overpaid labor cost is passed on to the consumer. The CEO continues to rake massive amounts of money and stocks annually. Then lay off the mid level, furthering the disaster. All recipes for inflation and recession. It‘s over $40 to feed a family of four one :censored2:ty meal from these places, they will all fail soon.
We can only hope so.

Thebrownblob

I see what you're getting at. But is it unreasonable for pay expectations to be based more on what a company or organization can pay while still remaining profitable than on the nature of the work itself?
Correct, and that is exactly how a good contract would work. If you have a union they will get as much as they can for the bargaining unit based on the profits of that company.

rod

Retired 22 years
McDonalds (and others) were doomed the second all the elderly people decided not to return to the work force after COVID. At least the old farts could make change.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Fast Food joints have always been considered as entry level jobs.
This is where one learns how to exist with in a corporate structure and build up their experiences.
But with some many joints closing nation wide, many will not be getting their chance.
Jacking the minimum wage makes investing in robotics more and more attractive.

Thebrownblob

One of the strategies to go after fast food, type workers and organize them backfired because they were replaced with kiosk. And there became less jobs now I think this was a bad idea for the companies as it has hurt them. As you can see in McDonald’s isn’t doing all that great. Franchises also made it difficult to negotiate contracts.
This is why they’ve gone after Starbucks. Those people actually have to have some training to know how to make the product they’re selling so it’s more of a skill.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Me singlehandedly holding the Arches up:

1680562565050.png

rickyb

This is what happens when you pay someone over $18 an hour to flip burgers and then forget to put the fries in your bag or forget your kids chicken nuggets. Incompetent, overpaid labor cost is passed on to the consumer. The CEO continues to rake massive amounts of money and stocks annually. Then lay off the mid level, furthering the disaster. All recipes for inflation and recession. It‘s over $40 to feed a family of four one :censored2:ty meal from these places, they will all fail soon.
no actually in other western countries mcds workers make more and the burgers are same price.

rickyb

automation which relieves the people needing to do the job in the first place is attractive

but workers whos jobs are automated need to live a live of decency

Thebrownblob

yes and what wage are hte workers paid?

Been paying $20 and $21 an hour at many fast food restaurants for well over a year here already.
It’s also reduced the number of workers. some are scheduling, some with technology, and some it’s just impossible to find people even for $20.