The harrassment continues....questions

brownrodster

I found in my 30 years at UPS that "acting stupid" was one of the best defenses. Probably be too late in this case though

Agreed. My attitude has always been just do what I'm told, stay quiet, smile, and try my best. I've never been harassed as a FT PC driver. I actually enjoy the job and like my FT management team.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. My attitude has always been just do what I'm told, stay quiet, smile, and try my best. I've never been harassed as a FT PC driver. I actually enjoy the job and like my FT management team.

I kind of have the same outlook. I show up on time, do my job the best I can, then I go home. The majority of my supervisors and managers have treated me with respect, just like I treat them. I have never been harassed as a Full Time Driver.

hdkappler

did your husband have to join the safety comm?he should of asked the steward if they can force a driver or not.do they get paid for it ?i wouldn't join if i had to start early and work off clock.

upsgrunt

probably joking when he said it. We have an 80/20 rule. twenty percent of the drivers cause 80 percent of the problems.

Call it management or call it harrassment but who do you think managements going to spend most of their time on? The twenty least best(oxymoron) or the 80 percent that have few problems.

I've heard of the 90/10 rule: where 10 percent of the people do 90 percent of the work. This applied to churches when I heard it.

we had a manager from our center follow and film a driver at the next center over.They had it out for this guy cause he was shop steward filing grievances daily.Well they accused him of stealing,fired him,2 panels later full reinstatement with big backpay check.If your husband is in the union just do the job right follow the grievance procedure and let the business agent do his job.

O

oldupsman

Same with me Scratch. In my 32 years as a fulltime PC driver I never got "the treatment" so to speak. I filed my 1 and only grievance around year 27 or so because a young center manager just wasn't paying attention. When the DM found out about it she called me into her office and apologized and got the whole thing fixed in a heartbeat. I'm a great believer in you reap what you sow.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Sure makes ya proud to walk in the door in the morning when you know some guy with Little Big Man Syndrome is the boss. Just gotta hope his boss treats him the same way. I have had good ones and bad ones but work the same for all of them. It's so sad and hard to believe that we all work for the same company and want the same goals for it. To bad they can't put that much effort out going after the competition, they would be out of business.

amen!!

nobber

I am guessing he was off due to an accident or injury. Safety is a very big issue right now because of cost. Cost is everything, not alot of regard to the person injured. Our District Manager said "Any employee that can not recite the 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary does not work until they know them" A very stern statement but I would doubt it will hold up in any court of law. Managers and supervisors come and go in this company. Many of them can't recite them either, and the division mgrs forgetaboutit! My advice is for him to learn them. I have been in management over 20 years and found that the best way to get back at them is to do exactly what they tell you to do.

The only thing UPS hates more then their employees is thier customers

Ms Spoken

Well since your husband is now the new person on their safety committee I would sink UPS with advice.

Hummmm lets see, parking lot needs more lighting at dark, point out any pinch points around the buld. Most older pkg trucks have a really sharp edge on the bulk head door that needs to be covered or it could cut someones finger off. Reflective tape on every pkg cars steps so you can see where your stepping at dark. Unsanitary conditions in the bathrooms, any walking hazards (hose, grates, uneven surface). First aid kits in every package car.

I could go on for days so if you need anymore ideas please ask.

Now you have done your part lets see if UPS will do theirs. Force them to spend $$$$ to stay safe. At every meeting ask what the progress is and don't let up till they have done something. Just play their game and have fun seeing them spend $$$ to keep us safe.

1timepu

Upserwife, my advice.....this goes beyond using the union, today purchase a discreet tape recorder, have your husband bring to work, you get in touch with a lawyer, fill the lawyer in on what has been going on, more than likely he or she would do it for pro bono. Have your husband go to work, in order for the tapes to be allowed into court your husbands has to let them know they are being tapped, have your husband goto personell and let them know you have attained a lawyer, that you are being harrassed and if it continues you will sue the company. Ask to have a sit down with the Labor Lawyer, union rep, the people who are harrising him, and the division manager, explain that the only way you will agree to let this go is that everything that was falsly put into his record is removed, on top of that you have the right to check your record at any time to prevent this from happening again.( This meeting should be tape recorded) It is no fun for you or your husband to be working there while this is going on, unfortunately unless you do this the harrasement wont stop. UPSs is always opening themselves up for law suits, the one thing everybody has to remember here, while you might be fired for something in California, I can bet under the same circumstances that somewhere across the country somebody did they same thing but didnt get fired, there ya go, lawsuit.

DorkHead

Its simple. He is in the bosses dog house. he is there because he had a tier three intersection accident that was deemed avoidable. His best recourse at this point is to do what his center manager tells him to do. Its not to plot on ways to get revenge. He drove into his bosses doghouse he needs to drive himself out by doing the job. All this plotting on how to get one up on the boss is just going to end up continuing his misery. Its not what you want to hear but god help me its the truth.

Instead of praying why not ask management to interview you and threaten you. After all the lord helps those who help theirselves.

Tieguy, that`s twice you referred to God in two posts. I didn`t realize you are religious! Peace brother:peaceful: