The Hoffa era is over, and the Teamsters are ready to fight

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
The Hoffa era is over, and the Teamsters are ready to fight - The Real News

The International Brotherhood of Teamsters just held a pivotal leadership election that will set a new course for one of the most storied unions in existence. The election officially marked the end of the Hoffa era—James P. Hoffa, son of Jimmy Hoffa, retired as Teamsters General President. In a major shift that will have significant ripple effects within the Teamsters and the labor movement writ large, members elected the Teamsters United reform slate headed by incoming president and Hoffa critic Sean O’Brien. As journalist Indigo Olivier wrote for Jacobin, “With 1.4 million members, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) election results have implications not just for the massive upcoming United Parcel Service (UPS) contract, but for organizing Amazon and pushing labor-friendly legislation like the Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act. The election marks the first time that a coalition backed by Teamsters for a Democratic Union, a rank-and-file reform caucus, will head the union since former IBT president Ron Carey was removed from office on false corruption charges in 1997.”

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Lol, like anything will change!
tears-of-joy-gif-3.gif

cachmeifucan

I believe the whole oz slate will fight for all 1.4 million members. Its not going to change all in one contract but im really proud to say im a teamsters i actually have hope that we get the best contract in 20 plus years. Without a strike. They know he means business and Obrien is young so im sure he knows if he doesn't deliver next man up. But i have confidence he will.

PT Car Washer

I believe the whole oz slate will fight for all 1.4 million members. Its not going to change all in one contract but im really proud to say im a teamsters i actually have hope that we get the best contract in 20 plus years. Without a strike. They know he means business and Obrien is young so im sure he knows if he doesn't deliver next man up. But i have confidence he will.
Everyone knows a $40/hr delivery driver is unrealistic. The next contract will expand on the two tier delivery driver classification while guaranteeing current RPCD and Feeders keep their raises. Starting PT will get a big bump but current PT will be given smaller raises along with 22.3 package handlers. The contract will pass 6 months early. Maybe even a yes bonus.

Karma...

I see concessions concerning automations will be considerable factors.....also more unity among the various teamsters grouping.....all for one and one for all.....united we stand while divided we fall......good offense against the divide and conquer strategies of many company.........remember..determined men working together can accomplish anything...

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Everyone knows a $40/hr delivery driver is unrealistic. The next contract will expand on the two tier delivery driver classification while guaranteeing current RPCD and Feeders keep their raises. Starting PT will get a big bump but current PT will be given smaller raises along with 22.3 package handlers. The contract will pass 6 months early. Maybe even a yes bonus.
$40 is not unrealistic when a company profits 7 billion before the fourth and busiest quarter. With 4 billion in profits last year and inflation I’d say $50 is the new benchmark we should shoot for.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
Considering that warehouse jobs that are physical, like grocery warehouses, are creeping past $25 hr towards 30, we aren't as far ahead as a year ago. Walmart DC in Tobyhanna is advertising $28.70 to start. This is the first time in a couple of generations it's good to be a blue collar laborer.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
$40 is not unrealistic when a company profits 7 billion before the fourth and busiest quarter. With 4 billion in profits last year and inflation I’d say $50 is the new benchmark we should shoot for.

Full time RPCD’s and seniority Feeders will be making close to 40 an hour by 2023...

The only way for the Company to save labor costs are their contributions into our pension and health and welfare plans. They are currently eliminating some of the fat in their management divisions, just keeping done upper level redundant positions for show.

O’Brien and his team will be going into these negotiations fully loaded...Carol and her executive board knows this... pay increases across the board will happen...this will be her first contract and the shareholders are getting fat because of increased demand for shipping products caused by this pandemic.

I fully expect her to start talking to O’Brien about very early negotiations. There will be no need for a strike vote this time. I see the Company eliminating it’s UPS pension plan for part timers and replacing it with a matched 401k similar to what they did with their management’s plans.

It appears that the monetary contributions going into our health and welfare plans are more than adequate to continue our coverages, generally it increases annually at 30 dollars a week per member. Any improvements in that plan is controlled by our health and welfare administrators.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Full time RPCD’s and seniority Feeders will be making close to 40 an hour by 2023...

The only way for the Company to save labor costs are their contributions into our pension and health and welfare plans. They are currently eliminating some of the fat in their management divisions, just keeping done upper level redundant positions for show.

O’Brien and his team will be going into these negotiations fully loaded...Carol and her executive board knows this... pay increases across the board will happen...this will be her first contract and the shareholders are getting fat because of increased demand for shipping products caused by this pandemic.

I fully expect her to start talking to O’Brien about very early negotiations. There will be no need for a strike vote this time. I see the Company eliminating it’s UPS pension plan for part timers and replacing it with a matched 401k similar to what they did with their management’s plans.

It appears that the monetary contributions going into our health and welfare plans are more than adequate to continue our coverages, generally it increases annually at 30 dollars a week per member. Any improvements in that plan is controlled by our health and welfare administrators.
Isn’t most of the country making 40 an hour now??? We are on the west coast.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Interesting take….

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Considering that warehouse jobs that are physical, like grocery warehouses, are creeping past $25 hr towards 30, we aren't as far ahead as a year ago. Walmart DC in Tobyhanna is advertising $28.70 to start. This is the first time in a couple of generations it's good to be a blue collar laborer.
There are some companies that are paying very nice bonuses to new drivers…US Foods is paying over 30 to start and a 25k sign on bonus…

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Why you old timers always think there’s going to be a “yes bonus”?? Been here 30 years and never once has there been a yes bonus..only 2 cola raises in 30 years also…