The Hypocrisy of UPS Safety

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I've seen a driver step out of the truck onto ice. Well apparently it was a pothole and not real thick. Broke through and broke his ankle. Driver should of had 3 points of contact. He didn't hold onto the handle long enough.

3 weeks later a driver slips while still holding onto the handle. Rips his bicep off the bone. Driver should of let go of the handle sooner.

Lmao

Before I came to UPS I worked as a dispatcher at a small freight company.

The other dispatcher there was a former trucker who had the same thing happen to him, only worse. It completely destroyed his right shoulder to the point where he lost all use of his right arm. He actually had to swing his arm and catch it with his left arm to shake hands with someone. I think about him every time they mention some nonsense about the handrails.

UPSjedi41

This week we were informed that for Telematics recording in travel and idling has been turned back on. It was turned off for peak. So if it's a safety issue to keep us safe, why turn it off in the first place? Go ahead and be unsafe as long as we are not looking. Hypocrisy at its best.

This week we were informed that for Telematics recording in travel and idling has been turned back on. It was turned off for peak. So if it's a safety issue to keep us safe, why turn it off in the first place? Go ahead and be unsafe as long as we are not looking. Hypocrisy at its best.
Probably because of helpers.

Overpaid Union Thug

Love having to do the turnaround first on a deadend street, then walking the package across an icy road instead of stepping off onto a bone dry shoveled sidewalk. I get the back first policy. Do it in my personal vehicles. But the 100 foot part of that policy is insane.
Why are you doing that? Just do what's safe. To hell with their back first metrics. Safety first. Metrics last.

moldsporh

How is reaching up for the hand rail not end range motion?

Rails should be along the passenger step around the heater box on all trucks not just some of them.

I've been bending at the waist for over 20 years, back never felt better. ...smooth and steady, if it's 50 ish lbs, I get the cart.....70 is way too heavy without a carry aid for the frequency of which we handle pkgs. Sure I can pick up 50 lbs, but it's not worth it.

You can throw your back with a 20lb pkg if you twist real fast.....work smart not fast.

How is reaching up for the hand rail not end range motion?

Rails should be along the passenger step around the heater box on all trucks not just some of them.

I've been bending at the waist for over 20 years, back never felt better. ...smooth and steady, if it's 50 ish lbs, I get the cart.....70 is way too heavy without a carry aid for the frequency of which we handle pkgs. Sure I can pick up 50 lbs, but it's not worth it.

You can throw your back with a 20lb pkg if you twist real fast.....work smart not fast.
How about pushing your mirrors in? That's a huge end range motion, plus the fact you could get your arm taking off.

moldsporh

How about pushing your mirrors in? That's a huge end range motion, plus the fact you could get your arm taking off.

If I'm told to pull my mirror in with a sup on board, I park, check traffic in mirror then pull mirror in. When leaving, I walk behind the truck to the drivers side and fold the mirror out. No way I'm sticking my hand out to fold the mirror back out when I can't see behind me.

If I'm told to pull my mirror in with a sup on board, I park, check traffic in mirror then pull mirror in. When leaving, I walk behind the truck to the drivers side and fold the mirror out. No way I'm sticking my hand out to fold the mirror back out when I can't see behind me.
About a year or so ago,a Pepsi driver lost his arm that way. Wonder if they still have to tuck their mirrors in?

Brown_Star

Methods Man
For 3 months, UPS supervisors stand there and tells you that "walking like a duck or penguin" is the correct way to walk on slippery driveways and ice. THEN, someone in our district gets hurt walking on ice in a driveway !!!

Now, apparently, the driver should have known that there was ice there and should have EC'd the stop. This company can not have it both ways. This company's safety committee makes a mockery of drivers who do the right thing and do it the way they're told. This kind of corporate stupidity in our company shows how laughable their daily rhetoric of safety really is. I can't wait to EC every stop I drive to in the dark during our next freeze.
Proper procedure

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They second guess/monday morning quarterback every accident and injury.

I agree discussion, for the purpose of developing safer methods. Not for the purpose of scathing an employee.

Any accident that happens can be avoided, when discussed, the next day, if, if, if.

Raw

Raw Member
:laugh:Our safety committee is a joke..the members are on light duty or comp, they don`t fix hazards that result in injuries and none are in the circle of honor! :laugh: They do get extra OT though!!